Searching by keyword

I like the idea of keywords or tags

However, we all need to use the same ones. If we added tags to threads in the format of #tag# then it shouldn't get confused when the tag is used in normal text. Also, there would need to be a master index of tags so we don't keep making up new ones. This would also be a guide for others to give them a clue as to what to search for. I think this tag index would need to be locked or pinned at the beginning of the forum. There is nothing to keep any of us from adding a post to our favorite threads with just a few tags so others can find it later.

I asked our IT person how hard it would be to add google search to the forum search. He said it wouldn't be hard but this is work for Phil whereas the tag index would just require a page that can be pinned and edited, just a little less work for Phil. It would have to be a link to a text file in the download area.

I think I need to tag some of my more recent threads with Advanced Control so I can find them in two years.

Looking at some of the current "Urgent" threads. I think the well defined subject line would do the searches more good than anything. Saying Urgent, HELP!, Problems, etc tells us nothing about what the problem is. Usually these statement deter me from reading the thread if anything. But I did just discover what the "Friday Math Quiz" is. I thought it was someones homework and never read them

Yeah... search has been a headache since day one. It's a sql thing. I'll look into googl-izing it (or ideally something better) as I've seen some ideas on other forums I use.

Enjoy,

I know and understand the value of keywords in doing searches.

I propose a separate page here titled " how to do searches".
The info posted here is invaluable but I am sure I will not remember it when I need it. If it were on a how to search page that would be highly convenient to me and others and also keep Mr Nachtways blood pressure down.

Dan Bentler

Phil Melore said:
Yeah... search has been a headache since day one. It's a sql thing. I'll look into googl-izing it (or ideally something better) as I've seen some ideas on other forums I use.
This is one I'm familiar with:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1972338/posts

This particular thread has a goodly number of keywords, most have fewer.

Of course, I don't know how it's implemented, it's just an example.

p.s. Thanks for all you do.