Sequence of colors - Industrial Ethernet Cable

orense

Hi,

I am installing an industrial ethernet cable.
It is a LEONI Industrial Ethernet Cat 5e ES cable. That is the supplier and type of the cable.

Now in the datasheet it says the following:

Core:
Filler as central element
1.layer: 4 wire twisted
Sequence of colors: WH-YE-BU-OG
Plastic tape, overlapped
Inner jacket: Thermoplastic copolymer (FRNC) ø 3.9 mm
Alulaminate foil overlapped
Shield braiding of tinned copper wires 0.13 mm dia
Coverage about 85% ø 4.7 mm

Now the question is about the sequence of colors.
It says that I should use white - yellow - blue - orange colors, which would be connected to 1-2-3-6 in the RJ 45 plug.

Do any of you know if it makes a difference which sequence of color I use. If I use blue - orange - white - yellow, for instance, does it makes any difference as long as I connect the same in both ends?

I can't really see that the sequence makes any difference as long as you connect the same in both ends.

Any comments appreciated :)

Hi,

I am installing an industrial ethernet cable.
It is a LEONI Industrial Ethernet Cat 5e ES cable. That is the supplier and type of the cable.

Now in the datasheet it says the following:

Core:
Filler as central element
1.layer: 4 wire twisted
Sequence of colors: WH-YE-BU-OG
Plastic tape, overlapped
Inner jacket: Thermoplastic copolymer (FRNC) ø 3.9 mm
Alulaminate foil overlapped
Shield braiding of tinned copper wires 0.13 mm dia
Coverage about 85% ø 4.7 mm

Now the question is about the sequence of colors.
It says that I should use white - yellow - blue - orange colors, which would be connected to 1-2-3-6 in the RJ 45 plug.

Do any of you know if it makes a difference which sequence of color I use. If I use blue - orange - white - yellow, for instance, does it makes any difference as long as I connect the same in both ends?

I can't really see that the sequence makes any difference as long as you connect the same in both ends.

Any comments appreciated :)

Yes it matters. You need to have the right signals on the right pins so that the twisting of the pairs actually works to cancel out any cross talk.

Thanks for the reply!

Well, T568A and T568B are for 8 wire ethernet cable.
I can't see those explains how this 4 wire cable should be connected, and if it is necessary to have the right color code.

If the pairs are together it should be ok in order to prevent cross-talk?

Brg
Orense

This is some SICK std. cabel:

I can see that this cable has a different color code from the one I have from Leoni, which is white-yellow-blue-orange.

The SICK cable seems to be yellow-orange-white-blue.

It is confusing if the color sequence is different depending on the cable producer...

Any opinions?

very good question as this cable is not twisted, so it is not an issue, why did you use ES? and not standard Cat5E or Cat7?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The reason why this cable is used is because it was ordered by our customer. It certainly has to do with price. I am not sure about difference between es and standard cat5e?

That manual looks very nice, I don't read German well but will try to find it in English...

Maybe the manual you sent says something about it, but if cable is not twisted then it's strange that they specify color sequence when it makes no difference...

Manual shows that blue/white is as pair and yellow/orange is other pair becourse they are not twisted pairs.
Symmetry!

KAT 5e ES.jpg

Last edited: