serial to parallel converter

How do you have your channel 0 user set up in the SLC 5/05?

I would expect that it would be:
Driver: ASCII
Baud: 9600
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Data Bits: 8

No Handshaking
Delete Mode: Ignore

Also, what command are you using to send the string to the serial port?

And, what do the characters look like in your string file?

Paul

You are correct. The port is configured as you described.

I am using AWT instruction

This is copied and pasted right from my string file:

^XA^CF0,40^FO35,50^FD9L14-2450AD^FS^CF0,50^FO35,150^FD33108B^FS^XZ

Most likely your serial printer printed each line as it received a <CR> <LF>.

Your parallel printer most likely has a page buffer and will not print until either the page buffer is full or it receives a <FF> (form feed) or Eject character...

You might try theDave2's advice...

Add a line feed character to the end of your string. I don't recall the symbol for it. If that does not help, try a form feed character...

Paul

You might try theDave2's advice...

Add a line feed character to the end of your string. I don't recall the symbol for it. If that does not help, try a form feed character...

Paul

I tried the same string format using a control logix processor and it worked fine.

Figured it out!! But not sure why it needs to be this way.

If I send the string from an SLC processor I need to format is as follows:
\^XA\^CF0,40\^FO35,50\^FD9L14-2450AD\^FS^CF0,50\^FO35,150\^FD33108B\^FS\^XZ

But if I send it from a control logix processor then it works like this:
^XA^CF0,40^FO35,50^FD9L14-2450AD^FS^CF0,50^FO35,150^FD33108B^FS^XZ

why is that?

I think that the ^ symbol tells the SLC that the next character will be a control code. For example, "^F" is the ASCII code for ACK in the SLC. Putting the "\" in front of the "^" symbol tells the SLC to send the "^" character as-is...

Glad you posted the fix...you'll surely save someone in the future some time...

Paul