Set Point or Setpoint?

gherz817

Hi Everyone,

Which is correct Set point or Setpoint? In PLC and HMI programs I always use Setpoint but some people say Set point is the right to use. Which is right?

Allen Bradley:

RSLogic5 calls it "Set Point"
RSLogix500 calls it "Set Point"
RSLogix5000 calls it "Setpoint"

At least in the instruction set manuals.

Take your pick ( BTW what difference does it make?)

"target value" helps convey the basic SETPOINT idea for many people ...

for the FIELD INPUT signal, instead of PV "Process Variable" some people use CV for "Controlled Variable" (in other words, the signal which we're trying to control) ... notice the letters ED on the end of "Controlled" ...

but that conflicts with CV (Control Variable - no "ED" on the end) ... so that requires something like MV (for Manipulated Variable) for the OUTPUT signal - or in other words, the signal which is being "manipulated" or "changed" in order to provide the control over the system ...

CO is another word for the OUTPUT signal - which usually stands for "Controller Output" ...

and I suppose the list could go on ...

Last edited:
I use "setpoint" but that may just be history on my part. I could see where "set point" would be just as valid.

Not to throw a wrench into the works but I generally profile my setpoint changes. So I need to make a distinction between where I ultimately want to end up and my instantaneous setpoint value. I call the ultimate target point the setpoint and the instantaneous target point the command value. The general regulators I have seem seem to encapsulate the profiling/ramping function so I don't know what most companies call the intermediate value.

Keith