Setting up a PowerFlex 525 to accept a second input source

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

So we had a network crash and the lines wouldn't start. This created a new project for me to add a selector switch and a pot to each conveyor drive to run them locally. Currently the drives are controlled via Ethernet and hardwired e-stops - this won't change.

The drive is wired from terminal 11 through the safety relay to terminal 1 & 7. Terminal 7 is programmed in the drive to use Ethernet as its source for both control and speed. So far, so good...

So I thought that I had it figured out, I added the switch and the pot, changed parameters 48 & 49 in the drive to look for the digital input and use the pot. But no go.

Do I need to change parameter 67 to 3? It's already set to 5.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

So we had a network crash and the lines wouldn't start. This created a new project for me to add a selector switch and a pot to each conveyor drive to run them locally. Currently the drives are controlled via Ethernet and hardwired e-stops - this won't change.

The drive is wired from terminal 11 through the safety relay to terminal 1 & 7. Terminal 7 is programmed in the drive to use Ethernet as its source for both control and speed. So far, so good...

So I thought that I had it figured out, I added the switch and the pot, changed parameters 48 & 49 in the drive to look for the digital input and use the pot. But no go.

Do I need to change parameter 67 to 3? It's already set to 5.

Thanks!
Those two highlighted parts conflict with each other. T067 is the programming for Digital Input (terminal) #7. If it is set to a value of 5, then when DI7= high it is NOT going to respond to an Ethernet command any longer.

Now, if what you MEANT is that the Start Source 1 is set as Ethernet, then when you take input 7 High, it will ignore the Ethernet commands and change to whatever you programmed into P048 and 49 as the Start / Speed Ref. Source 2 commands. If, in P048, you programmed it at 2 for “DigIn TrmBlk”, then it is now waiting for you to give it a Run command on the Digital Terminal Block, ostensibly DI 2 and/or 3, depending on how you want your Run command to the Digital Inputs configured. If you left those at Default settings, DI2 is a Run Fwd command, DI3 is Run Rev. If you didn't want that, then you need to change the programming of P048 to what you want, i.e. the keypad?

Those two highlighted parts conflict with each other. T067 is the programming for Digital Input (terminal) #7. If it is set to a value of 5, then when DI7= high it is NOT going to respond to an Ethernet command any longer.

Now, if what you MEANT is that the Start Source 1 is set as Ethernet, then when you take input 7 High, it will ignore the Ethernet commands and change to whatever you programmed into P048 and 49 as the Start / Speed Ref. Source 2 commands. If, in P048, you programmed it at 2 for “DigIn TrmBlk”, then it is now waiting for you to give it a Run command on the Digital Terminal Block, ostensibly DI 2 and/or 3, depending on how you want your Run command to the Digital Inputs configured. If you left those at Default settings, DI2 is a Run Fwd command, DI3 is Run Rev. If you didn't want that, then you need to change the programming of P048 to what you want, i.e. the keypad?

Yes, we do not want to control the drive from Ethernet when we are in local mode (after all, it's purpose is to provide a way to run the line when the network is down).

So it sounds like all I missed was applying a signal to DI 2. I would have never thought of that. I'll do that through the local/remote switch from a separate set of contacts.

Thanks!!

What is the status of b012 and b013 when you change it and are you using start stop buttons or anything at the manual control area

I'll take a look when I try it again. And the control is just a local switch that will start the drive, and a pot to control its speed. We wouldn't be able to use anything else since everything is done through Ethernet, so it's got to be simple...

Thanks!!

Okay, so I wired up the Forward input, no joy. Same as before.

b12 shows 155 when in remote (Ethernet) mode, 052 when in local (selector switch).
b13 shows 0001 when in remote mode, 0011 when in local mode.

I've included how I have it wired.

Thanks!

PF525 wiring.jpg

Is your J5 jumper on Sink or Source? Factory default is Source )SRC), in which case your Common is terminal 4, not 11.

It's hooked to SRC, and follows the examples for SRC connections found in "PowerFlex 520-Series Adjustable Frequency AC Drive" on pages 46 - 48.

I suspected that it could be wrong as well. But it not only follows the manual, but there is a wire (which doesn't seem to be necessary) hooked to terminal 6 already which follows the same format.

It's hooked to SRC, and follows the examples for SRC connections found in "PowerFlex 520-Series Adjustable Frequency AC Drive" on pages 46 - 48.

I suspected that it could be wrong as well. But it not only follows the manual, but there is a wire (which doesn't seem to be necessary) hooked to terminal 6 already which follows the same format.
No, sorry, I got that wrong, you are right. But when using Source control and an external +24VDC power source, i.e. you said it is coming from the safety relay, you must connect the common of your power source to TB4 of the drive. There is an example on page 47.

You double checked the programming of DI2 to make sure it's set to Start, meaning a setting of 48 for "2 Wire Fwd"? That's the factory default, but maybe someone changed it?
What do you have DI6 programmed for? Might it be a conflict of some sort? DI6 is defaulted as a Preset Frequency and that will take precedence over any other run command. Then if your Preset Frequency is Zero, it appears to not run.

Also important (and may be the issue actually).
If you do have T062 set as "2 wire FWD", then you need to double check the T064 setting for how the input functions in 2 Wire control and understand what it means. The factory default is "0" which means "Edge Trigger" and references "Standard Start-Stop control". That then means that once you go into Start Source 2 and it is looking for a Run command, it will only respond AFTER DI2 changes state from low to high. By closing DI7 and DI2 at the same time with one contact closure, it might not be recognizing the change of state because DI2 status is being scanned slightly before DI7, so when DI7 is recognized, it is then waiting for a change of state on DI2, which you are not doing (because from your standpoint you already did). To prove this out as you have it set up now, after closing your contact, lift the wire off of DI2 and touch it again, see if it responds. If it does, that was your problem. You can change how that reacts in t064 by setting it to a value of "1" for "Level Sensing", meaning it's not looking for a CHANGE in state, just whether it's low or high. Just be aware that will allow re-start after a power fail.

Last edited:
No, sorry, I got that wrong, you are right. But when using Source control and an external +24VDC power source, i.e. you said it is coming from the safety relay, you must connect the common of your power source to TB4 of the drive. There is an example on page 47.

No, there is no external power to the drive, the safety relay breaks the circuit to the STOP input. So no external 24VDC power to the drive.

You double checked the programming of DI2 to make sure it's set to Start, meaning a setting of 48 for "2 Wire Fwd"? That's the factory default, but maybe someone changed it?

Now that I didn't do. I thought that DI2 would just select the direction. Nor did I change parameter 46 since that is set up for the default Ethernet control. Hmmm...

What do you have DI6 programmed for? Might it be a conflict of some sort? DI6 is defaulted as a Preset Frequency and that will take precedence over any other run command. Then if your Preset Frequency is Zero, it appears to not run.

It's a mystery to me as well since it was that way when I took over. I have verified that it isn't needed since the drive will run whether it is connected or not.

Also important (and may be the issue actually).
If you do have T062 set as "2 wire FWD", then you need to double check the T064 setting for how the input functions in 2 Wire control and understand what it means. The factory default is "0" which means "Edge Trigger" and references "Standard Start-Stop control". That then means that once you go into Start Source 2 and it is looking for a Run command, it will only respond AFTER DI2 changes state from low to high. By closing DI7 and DI2 at the same time with one contact closure, it might not be recognizing the change of state because DI2 status is being scanned slightly before DI7, so when DI7 is recognized, it is then waiting for a change of state on DI2, which you are not doing (because from your standpoint you already did). To prove this out as you have it set up now, after closing your contact, lift the wire off of DI2 and touch it again, see if it responds. If it does, that was your problem. You can change how that reacts in t064 by setting it to a value of "1" for "Level Sensing", meaning it's not looking for a CHANGE in state, just whether it's low or high. Just be aware that will allow re-start after a power fail.

I suspected as much as well, and the other night I lifted the FWD wire off of the terminal and told the drive to run, and then re-landed the FWD on the terminal. That didn't help either. I have only adjusted t067, but not the others, I'll try out your suggestions and let you know what I find.

Thanks again for all of the help! :)