Should I stay or should I go?

CaseyK said:
Maybe, maybe not.

They are just difficult to learn, and sometimes difficult to use.

BTW, in six months at the Siemens plant, I saw NONE of their PLC's on controls or switchboards for customers, not even on plant machinery!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I just noticed you are from Illinois. I do a ton of Siemens work in the Chicago area. I'm not sure how the AB and other vendor markets are there, but it might be worth it to brush up on Siemens.

I remember being interviewed by a Yankee (Unusual for an American manager, let alone for Siemens) manager for Siemens at a mail sorting depot being built just outside London (UK). They were desperate for people with Modicon experience as the plant was all Modicon.

They had bought the company that was doing the project and it had already started as a 100% Modicon project.

Modicon of course were not interested to help Siemens.
I chose another project 🍺

Ah now, would that be the multi-million dollar PLC part of Siemens, or the multi-million dollar projects and systems part of Siemens, or the multi-million dollar ... part of Siemens?

That is one big company!

Ken

CaseyK said:
Maybe, maybe not.

They are just difficult to learn, and sometimes difficult to use.

BTW, in six months at the Siemens plant, I saw NONE of their PLC's on controls or switchboards for customers, not even on plant machinery!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I have to agree, Siemens is here and has proven itself. Do not think it is not doing all any other brand is doing, regardless of your experience. The difficulty to use lies within YOU.

LOL, not using TP is not the worse thing you may see in another country.

MANY countries have animals running free in the roads etc but then again MANY countries do not have ENOUGH animals to feed the people, so it is all how you view what is important. Personally if I see animals in the way then that means many of them; therefore the people have some food. IF they eat it or not is up to them.

All the info you need

It is almost impossible to generalize anything about India. Depending on where you are going, where you are staying and how much you can afford, your visit can be like a Maharaja's to down right horrible. So give some more information, and we can give some info if your trip is worthwhile. The place where you are going will be a good start.
The country is so diverse - every state is like a country by its own - different languages, customs, clothing, food, education, etc. - even people who lived their entire lives in India cannot tell you what you might experience in a different part of the country.

automation.robotics said:
stay instead of leaving. No life,compare india with China, I think China maybe better choice to go.

Now you ARE joking ...

I have to laugh at those at complian at the lack of toilet paper - the way it works when you travel , is that if you don't know something is available 100% then you carry it yourself .
Actually , there is nothing wrong with properly washing yourself after using the toilet , and as for all the waffle about left hand , right hand , take your own knife fork and spoon...

rsdoran said:
I have to agree, Siemens is here and has proven itself. Do not think it is not doing all any other brand is doing, regardless of your experience. The difficulty to use lies within YOU.

LOL, not using TP is not the worse thing you may see in another country.

MANY countries have animals running free in the roads etc but then again MANY countries do not have ENOUGH animals to feed the people, so it is all how you view what is important. Personally if I see animals in the way then that means many of them; therefore the people have some food. IF they eat it or not is up to them.

A number of very valid points Ron - many people moan about a product because they can't master it - and if you go to China , you will certainly see every animal as food , if its back faces the sky , then you can eat it .

Where are you Road_Guy?

Road_Guy said:
We have a job going to India. I have been alot of
places but never there. From what I am hearing it
is not the best place to work. Any info would be
appreciated. I am the senior man so I can refuse
this job if I want. Thanks...

Would like to know as to where you are? What was your decision? Did you go to India or did you not?

I see you've already got quite a few replies, but here goes:

I spent 10 weeks in India during the fall of 2005 working on a steel mill control upgrade.

Are you being paid by a western (US, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, etc.) or a firm local to the area (India, Malaysia, Bangladesh, China, etc.)? If you're being paid by a local firm, either get paid ahead of time or via an escrow account in a western bank. On a business level, that part of the world does not have the same concept of financial obligations we do.

Is the customer site remote from major public transportation? We could not travel freely, or go home without the assistance of the end customer. It never became an issue, but it did make me nervous at times.

I was mildly sick most of the time because I was adventurous in trying new foods. Pay attention to food preparation. It's best to eat food that has to be immediately cooked in front of you. Most places do not have refrigeration, and sanitary conditions are terrible.

Speaking of sanitary conditions, bring hand sanitizer and pepto. Your hotel should have toilet paper; steal some rolls to carry with you. The VAST majority of places will not have toilet paper, seated toilets (just holes in the floor), or soap.

Only drink sealed bottled water. Even the locals boil their drinking water. You can become deathly ill from drinking the local water.

Get immunized and get malaria drugs. The malaria drugs are hell on the liver long-term, but they beat getting malaria and having debilitating spells for life. Also, long pants and long sleaved shirts that breathe well will expose less of your skin to mosquitoes.

It will also be VERY hot or raining HEAVILY.

If you're going to a dry state (I was in Gujarat, which was dry), and you drink at all, get a 'tourist alcohol license'. They are easy to get with a small bribe. You can then buy alcohol at special state run stores.

All that being said, if you're an adventurous person you will enjoy it. The food is delicious, the people are very friendly, the accommodations are usually VERY luxurious and inexpensive, and it is an amazing place to see. Make sure you don't have to drive yourself anywhere; there are only mild traffic suggestions, not many enforced traffic laws. You can also get very high quality jewelry, clothing, and rugs pretty darned cheap. Just be aware of how much you can bring back without paying duties.

IPSI John said:
I see... {{insert very bad stuff here}}... paying duties.

Sounds like a book I read before.... the book of revelations

My advice...Just watch out for the six headed dragon, if you live through that you should have a good time :)