504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Any help appreciated

Micro master 440, one old, one brand new in box

Starter kit loaded on xp sp3 in vmware machine

USB-serial adapter - siemens approved

Device manager set to com3 9600 default settings

Starter pgpc interface set up as per siemens docs uss com3 9600 auto ticked etc

Now my laptop won't connect to either drive - led on adapter flashes away, tried the diagnostics to search for nodes, none found etc

Laptop connect to ssd drives with same adapter no probes

Anyone got any tips on anything I may have missed

Siemens tech support useless today at 4.20pm cos they go home at 4.30!!!!

I knew when they rang up I should have said chuck it in the bin and I'll bring a decent drive out, spent 2hours there today getting nowhere fast....

Starter pgpc interface set up as per siemens docs uss com3 9600 auto ticked etc
USS protocol is right if I remember correctly.
Maybe try to install STARTER on another PC.
You dont have a BOP ?
Maybe there is another MM4 in your plant with a permanently installed BOP which you can borrow.

Is the protocol for MM drives the same as for S110/120's? I spent a lot of time a few weeks ago trying to talk to a S110 via USS, switched to RS-232 PPI and away it went.

Another thought - Do you need a PC communication kit installed in the drive?

The easiest is to connect via a serial connection kit.
It is a module that plugs into the same slot as the BOP.

I think there is also the possibility to connect via the terminal strip. But in that case I think a converter to RS485 is needed. And have never tried it.