Siemens MP277 connection to Remote PC using DNS

agrade

Hello,
I have a need for a script to read a text file from a shared folder on a remote Windows XP PC.
I can do this locally using an ethernet crossover cable.
When I went to the customer's test lab, I could not connect to the remote folder. We need to connect through their LAN Routers, because the target PC is not on the same segment.

Using a Windows XP machine, we could connect to \\machine\sharedfolder.
I understand that Windows CE 5.0 cannot resolve IP addresses in the UNC.
On the MP277:
We could "ping www.xxx.yyy.zzz"
We could "ping machine.customer.com.au"
We could not "ping machine" This returned error 53.
We could not connect to \\machine\sharedfolder. We did see it attempt to request from the DNS.
When we used \\machine.customer.com.au\sharedfolder, we got an error 53 and did not see any attempt to request from the DNS servers.

Has anyone else tried to do this ?

Also,
I have read and checked the FAQ 13336639 and I have searched the forum and only found posts which state a similar problem but do not give a solution.