Siemens MP370 issue

o_man_ra23

Hi all,

I have a problem with a Siemens MP370 touch panel. The original panel had a fault with the touch sensor, so a new unit was purchased to replace it. The client had no backup of the program, and the OEM has dissolved and is completely incontactable.

So, with the trusty Siemens Field PG unit in hand, I set about making backups of the original programs from both the S7 300 processor and the MP370 screen. However, just before I was able to upload a backup from the faulty screen, some form of error has occurred, and now the analog data values (from position and mass sensors) have dissappeared. The unit can still be operated from the touch screen, and the PLC is reading the analog values correctly, however the HMI isn't showing them. The new screen shows the same issue.

Siemens Tech support indicated this would be due to a corruption of the HMI program, and this is a possibility as the touch screen was showing traditional signs of RAM failure, so flash memory faults aren't inconcievable. Tech support has indicated that what I am seeing on the screen (zero values) is typical of incorrect addressing within the HMI unit. The fact it is isolated to only the analog data suggests a pointer is out, not a holus bolus program corruption.

Does anyone know of a different problem which can cause this error??

Does anyone know of a fix, shy of a complete re-write? I am told that the prosave backup I have cannot be converted into a project, back-engineered, corrected and re-loaded, which is highly unfortunate as this would be the simple solution. If anyone can provide a method of converting the prosave backup, that would be great.

In case it makes a difference, the PLC and HMI talk over an MPI connection.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Cheers, Owen

Last edited:
IF I were you, I will try to get another contract from customer to rework the whole panel. Before that, try to mark down every detail on the old panel which later you will need to integerate in the new project. Then deliver to the customer a better panel solution to gain more work.

That is our last resort option. The machine needs to be taken to a site next week to perform a major shutdown, and a fast solution is what is really desired.

To answer your question, no it is not possible to convert or edit an uploaded Prosave image.
And since you suspect that the files on the panel have become corrupted, you cant even load the image to another similar panel.

No matter what you do, new similar panel or new different panel, you need the original Protool or WinCC Flex source file.

For what it's worth I have a similar situation with an old OP5 unit. The equipment supplier contracted out the plc and op5 programming to a company who are no more and all they have are a few photocopied faxes!!!

Whoever specified the original contract needed a good kick up the backside.

Markie... that is exactly correct, and is what my client has stated also. Note to others, make sure there is some form of code backup if you buy a piece of equipment that operates with PLC and/or HMI gear.

Markie... that is exactly correct, and is what my client has stated also. Note to others, make sure there is some form of code backup if you buy a piece of equipment that operates with PLC and/or HMI gear.

Everything does, these days! Mind you, keep the backups well hidden away.

It was only a few months ago I was asking for ABB robot help because one of my "colleagues" found the backups to the wrong robot and decided what it really needed was cold booting (Wiped everything, and took a week to sort out!)

Nasty... I hope that colleague is currently learning how to spit polish toilets??

Good document management is imperative. If you hide the backups away too well, nobody else can find them. BUT they need to be clearly labelled as being for the right equipment, and the equipment needs to be clearly labelled.

So if you buy a CF card and put it in the panel
Go to the backup/restore and save everything to the CF card
On your new unit do a restore

Did I miss a reason you didn't try this?
Sometimes I miss read these posts :)

Its worth a try to backup to a CF
And I caught that it has one
And I think he says its still reading data

I would try the backup utility from CE

Good luck

Correction
Plc is only reading data

I would still try it

Last edited: