Siemens S7 1200 binary output project

indeed.. I call it the butter-warmer drawer .. something they added to refrigerators that wasn't real necessary.. It was a little suspicious when I first noticed there were only 6 DC outputs on that CPU.. I know they expected me to buy 2 more for only $100 ... Now my goal is to get the Siemens distributor to update the firmware to 2.2 .. only then, will I triumph over the dark side.

If you check out JRW's Binary picture, you'll see that the field where it shows the number "8" is greyed out, and for you it probably shows 4 there, also greyed out. But if you select the box where it shows 11111111 (for you, probably 1111), then you'll see it's a dropdown box, and you can make your selection there.

Also, you mention the ability to add 8 IO modules to the rack. That is true for the biggest CPU's (1214/1215), but I think the 1212 only supports up to 3 signal modules (plus up to 3 comm modules and a signal board or comm board).

I just purchased a cool signal board on eBay for the 2 analog inputs .. has 2 Pots mounted in the center..

I wanted to include a link to the signal board Lamboom was talking about. I think its pretty cool (even if not an official Siemens module), and I've never seen it before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S71200-Potentiometer-Signal-Board-S71200pot-/290894255712

"I just purchased a cool signal board on eBay for the 2 analog inputs .. has 2 Pots mounted in the center.. "

Stop buying from Flea Bay- I mean E Bay and Im sure your distributor would run over to assist anytime :)

Last edited:
You guys are right.. The distributor is great .. I think they will do the update for me.. :) As for Learning all the tricks of the TIA software.. I have a long way to go .. I should have played with those little windows more.. it's like discovering that tiny orange triangle in the upper right corner of a highlighted Tag .. sigh! sooo many little tricks.

And every now an' then when I relaunch the program, things don't come back quite like before ... took me forever to find "Tools" again in WinCC

I'll work harder, slow down.. try not to over-think it. It's so nice when things work.. after a long period of failure... Thanks again

Hi JRW
Using the "Move" operation for transferring decimal inputs to the PLC's digital outputs as a binary byte worked great...Thanks, again, and it's easy to load any number up to 255 with that I/O field element. It gets things running nicely with some additional buttons for Start .. and, Stop.

But, How to stop?.. That's the new trick.

To stop motion, and return to an initial position, requires a special "one-line" command in that table of commands... let's say it's line 27.

I don't want to change the present number in that I/O element on the HMI.. But, I do need to change the binary value of %BQ8 to 00011011 .. (without changing the number that was first entered) .. because, I might want to run the curve again, and don't want to re-enter it. Just lazy.

Im using %BQ8 because the 1212C PLC doesn't have 6 digital outputs, an' the I/O module does.. :)

As you can see.. While I might have 80 or 100 lines of curves .. to stop each of them them, I must load line #27 every time... and I might not have the time to enter 27 on that I/O element.. besides, If I did.. it would erase the previous number.

Sooo... simple question is. How do you enter into %BQ8 the number 00011011?

Remember, %BQ8 is presently communicating with that I/O element

I thought of inserting a NC STOP at the EN to the MOVE.. That might lower the bits of %BQ8 long enough to send the (#27)

But, I can't find anything that looks like it can store a fixed number, then send it out as a tag when the EN goes to 1 ... is there such a thing?

Thanks, Regards, Michael

Hi Lambom,

I have read your recent post,
That you using s7-1200 and TIA software for your project,

I have no any experience using this hardware and software.

Present you using this stuff for trial test and gaining the knowledge on SIEMENS product,

It’s good for technical knowledge and also very challenging for beginner.

If your skip the basic knowledge of PLC world
E.g. binary/byte/hex/word/DINT/REAL or another PLC instruction set, it will invite problem to you.

Spend a time to understand the instruction set. refer to user manual

The previous post you trial test with RMC100 with option module probably DIO module slot I guess,
The option module must the right selection with your Actuator.

What are you doing now manipulate the PLC Digital Output whether using IB, IW,QB,QW and move this value to digital output.

The present PROFILE digital output will match with your RMC100/ETC that you had programmed for
selected profile.

This only POSITIVE/FORWARD Actuator movement,
for HOME/RETURN Position RMC100/ETC Controller

Maybe request NEGATIVE/REVERSE Actuator movement command.

How the RMC100/ETC Controller read/interpret negative sign value if you using Digital Output profile?

The digital 8 bit starting from 0 to 7 the last bit 7 will indicate negative sign if you using analog output +/- 10VDC.

This value/data need to transfer to your RMC100/ETC controller.
This is another challenge for you and to install analog module to configure.

S7-300_POSITIVE.jpg S7-300_NEGATIVE.jpg

Hi Osmanmom.. Good to hear from you.

I'm not working with the RMC100 yet.. but, that's coming. I wanted to learn controlling the LinMot PID Driver with the Siemens 1212C+analog module. In the near future, the Delta RMC75 (or first the RMC100) will control LinMot's "dumb" Drivers (B series).. for now, I'm using the E series .. which uses PLC's.

Glad to see you are still out there .. remember you first showed me a Linmot E1130-DP driver in the "network view" of your TIA Portal V11? .. I'm wondering how you got that that equipment in your "Catalog"??

Regards, Michael

Most Technical Information about Automation will be on your finger tip,

GOOGLE or YAHOO it.

Manufacture will do their best to provide all information to their user with

T & C and limitation.

Yes JRW .. the distributor actually did come over to assist... Amazing!

And that item on "fleaBay.. is great.. I got one, love to show the pictures, but, it looks like you can't send attachments in private messages.. The quality is so good, you would think Siemens made it!

DSC04201.jpg DSC04204.jpg DSC04205.jpg

Last edited: