Siemens S7/TIA Basic v16 versus v18 ?...

Mas01

General Question:

My trial version of TIA Portal v16 expires in 5 days and I'll be buying the full licence (Basic).

I spoke to a chap at Siemens Product Support, he said "our current version is v18, but it's backward compatible with v16."

Basically, just wanted to check what everyone thinks of v18 and if it's been working fine for them.

Cheers

He means the license is backwards compatible so you have a v18 license that will allow earlier software versions to work so your v16 will be ok.

I would stick with v16 for you program for now until you get to grips with it a bit more.

Always buy the most recent license.
As others have said, a license for a specific version also releases all the previous TIA versions.
You may have to download the install files for the previous versions separately.

bb76 said:
I would stick with v16 for you program for now until you get to grips with it a bit more.
If you are working in a company that already uses TIA, or must work with other companies that uses TIA, you should coordinate which TIA version you use.

Some things to consider:
You can migrate an older project to a newer TIA version, but not the other way around.
So if you write programs in TIA V18, you cannot share it with someone using TIA V16.
This actually is a reason to not always use the latest and greatest TIA version.
And, if you have machines running at customer sites, you can only go online with the same TIA version that the program was made with.