Siemens S7/TIA v16: How do I know the PLC version number?...

Mas01

Excuse my ignorance. I've only worked on Mitsubishi Q-series PLC's, now I'm working on S7 for first time with no training.

I'm trying to set up a project, but I'm not sure which version of PLC is the correct one for me on the drop-down list. How can I find this out? By default it came up as v4.4 but I want to confirm it.

Many thanks.

IMG_20230613_151147.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
you can use the "detect" option and upload from the CPU and then you can check the firmware - chosse any version and then "Detect"

also when you go online if there is a difference TIA will show the difference between offline and online

Screenshot_8.png f2949bdbeafb1a20c5c750bd790343180aa277ed.jpeg S7-1200-firmware.jpg

Last edited:
If this a new PLC project, the best is to simply chose the latest firmware version that the configuration dialog offers.
You should not select 'unspecified CPU'. Select the exact model that you intend to use.

When loading the project the first time, it can happen that the delivered PLC has a different firmware.
If the delivered PLCs firmware is older, then it is best to update it to the same as the TIA project.
If the delivered PLCs firmware is newer, then it is best to keep it as it is. There are usually important bugfixes in the latest firmware that you want to keep. The PLC program will work fine even with the offline/online difference.

Then when you have a bit of spare time :), go to the Siemens support site, search for S7-1212 firmware, get registered, then you will be able to download the latest firmware. They seem to be up to 4.6.0. Of course once you have updated the firmware TIA Portal will complain that the TIA and online firmwares don't match, but life isn't perfect.
https://sieportal.siemens.com/en-gb/search?scope=catalog&Type=products

Choose the Knowledge Base

Search Siemens.JPG

Then when you have a bit of spare time :), go to the Siemens support site, search for S7-1212 firmware, get registered, then you will be able to download the latest firmware. They seem to be up to 4.6.0. Of course once you have updated the firmware TIA Portal will complain that the TIA and online firmwares don't match, but life isn't perfect.
https://sieportal.siemens.com/en-gb/search?scope=catalog&Type=products

Choose the Knowledge Base

Good stuff, cheers for this @BryanG.