Siemens Step7 / Braumat 5.3...HELP!!!

The project i just posted was pulled from the PLC. Made another new project and uploaded the data to a PG like you had said too. I zipped it then uploaded to the forum as you see above.

I did a "save and compile" before downloading the HW config info to the PLC.

In the VAT, still getting zeros for PIW536/8.

Jesper said:
Do as follows:
1. Check the hardware diagnostics before modifying anything.
In STEP7, rightclick on the PLC and select "PLC" .. "Hardware diagnostics". If all is OK, nothing important will be displayed. If there are problems (modules are striked out or shows warning signs) then click on "module information" to get detailed information about the problem.
2. If OK, open the hardware configuration and modify the addresses.
Select Save and Compile.
3. Now the production must be in stop !
Select download from the hardware configuration.
You will be prompted to accept stopping the PLC.
When done, you will be prompted to start the PLC again.
4. Repeat checking the hardware diagnotics to see that all is OK.
5. If OK, open up the VAT and check that you get some realistic looking values on PIW536 and PIW538.
6. If OK, check if the GUI gets the right values from the two RTDs.

1. no erroes came up when i ran the HW diagnostics
2. The addresses are set to 536/8. In the symbol table, they call on IW 536, IW538 (same as in old versions of our program)
3. I did a memory reset on the PLC then uploaded the HW Config, then the blocks, then did a warm restart.
4. (see corresponding .txt file)
5. Not OK, but VAT still reads 0
6. Still reading lower limie (-.2C)

See if you can get anything from that .txt file. It is the diagnostic buffer from the CPU. I dont understand what its trying to tell me. Thanks again for working with me on this.

.eric

Last edited:
3. I did a memory reset on the PLC then uploaded the HW Config, then the blocks, then did a warm restart.
You have to download, not upload.

Actually, uploading the actual HW configuration and checking if everything looks right is a good idea.

(can it be as simple as that you have done it in the wrong direction ? I mean uploading in stead of downloading. That can explain why the values were mysteriously set to 528/530).

The diagnostics buffer will be interesting. But you forgot to attach it to the post. Edit: Oh, I see you went back and attached it. OK

Have got to go now. Must get some food and go to bed.

Last edited:
Sorry.... i DOWNLOADED to the PLC from the HW Config...typo. I really dont believe that its that simple. I have tried using many old programs also...still yeilding the same problems. Ive DOWNLOADED the program a hundred times. Still trying.....

.eric

The addresses appear to be correct. As far as i can tell, it is calling input 536/8. In the HW config, the two AI's are addressed 536/8. Even in our older program versions from a couple years ago they are all addressed the same as they are now.

.eric

I just wonder if you did use the Hardware Diagnostics, and not the Diagnostic Bufer to see if everything is OK.
The txt file from the Diagnostic Buffer is full of entries about access errors, but not to the addresses IW/PIW 536/538.
In the diagnostic buffer, try to hit the update button and notice if the times of the entries change or not. If not, then the entries are old and not relevant.

Also, when changing the hardware configuration of Profibus slaves, sometimes you have to cycle power to the slave (from experience, have no info or manuals that says so), in order to activate the changes.

And, I dont know what the RTD modules will do when not powered correctly, but regular 4-20mA input go to maximum (FFFFh).
Maybe the RTD modules go to zero when not powered.
In the ET200S there must be power modules that take care of that. Dont know about ET20SL-SC. But if that was the problem, the you should definitly beabe to see it in the hardware diagnostics.

The silence is unnerving.

Its been a while since Eric posted about the problems.
On another forum he made a post that could be interpreted as he had examined the diagnostic buffer but not the hardware diagnostics.
If this is correct, then it could be a breaktrough in cracking the nut.
I posted some instructions on where he could find the hardware diagnostics, but Eric never replied.
I sent him a PM, but he didnt respond to it.
Now I wonder what has happened.
Did some go terribly wrong, or very well, or nothing ... ?
The silence ... :unsure:

Sorry guys, ive been busy running our bottling line. But im back.

Jesper: You said to check the "Hardware Diagnostics" in the Simatic Manager by going through the PLC > Hardware Diagnostics > Module Information. (the PLC is showing an error) You then said to "get detailed information about the problem". The only detailed information from there is the Diagnostic Buffer. Are we talking about the same thing here? Also, a couple other things that may help.

Within the .txt file from the Diagnostic Buffer it shows the errors and the block from wich they are from. The errors are from FC700 and FC701. When I opened the blocks in the STL editor, there is two erros in each one. (see pic)
STL_error.jpg

The error is "Statement is waiting for addresses" and "Syntax error at Call". Also, when I opened the block there was another error message. (see pic)
Time_stamp_error.jpg

Could this have anything to do w/ our problem?

Here is a more detailed view of the errors were getting in the block FC701.

Time_stamp_error2.jpg

P.S. I tried to open FC500 to see if there was any errors in that and there was. One more pic.
FC500_errors.jpg

I hope this can get us somewhere. This seems like it shouldnt be giving this many errors. Im ready to try some ideas.

.eric

Jesper said:
you find the Hardware Diagnostics in the STEP7 Manager, in the project tree browse to the PLC, rightclick on it - on the menu that appears you will find the "Module Information" that you use to access the CPU (For the Diagnostics Buffer for example). In the same menu you will also find the Hardware Diagnostics. It will give much more precise information about status/problems on the Profibus network, down to individual modules in the ET200L stations.

When i do this, it opens up the HW Config. Is it susposed to do that?

.eric

The only detailed information from there is the Diagnostic Buffer. Are we talking about the same thing here?
I was hoping that the Hardware Diagnostics would point to the ET200L stations that has the problem with the RTD modules. That it does not means that all modules report "all OK" (which is strange).

When i do this, it opens up the HW Config. Is it susposed to do that?
I dont remember the dialog exactly. But you can open the HW config from there and view it online so to speak.

It looks like there are some problems with the online and offline projects being out of sync.
But the bottom line is that you should be able to view online values via the IW/PIW addresses of the RTD modules.

Just thought of a small thing.
Before, when you tried to view the IW/PIW addresses of the RTD modules, there was a warning sign in the VAT that there was a problem with the modules.
Can you try again ?
If you look this time, are there any warning signs this time ?
Do the values change (showing anyting else than zero) ?