Siemens TIA V18 Downgrade Project To V17

rtgibson

So.... I know that this is "impossible" (looking at what Google has to say about it). But I still need to achieve it....somehow.

Just completed a TIA18 project with a PLC & HMI...a few weeks later customer says it should have been done in V17 so that they can support it.

What is the TIA Openness stuff will that help me - how do I use it, where can I even get it from ?

So.... I know that this is "impossible" (looking at what Google has to say about it). But I still need to achieve it....somehow.

Just completed a TIA18 project with a PLC & HMI...a few weeks later customer says it should have been done in V17 so that they can support it.

What is the TIA Openness stuff will that help me - how do I use it, where can I even get it from ?

So, as long as you didn't use any of the new V18 features, and downgrade the devices to FW supported in v17, it's hypothetically maybe possible, if you're lucky. Definitely not everything, but you can get a decent % of stuff exported out of portal. With luck you can get it back in, too.

1) you can export the HW config via Tools Export CAx data. You'll get part numbers, IP addresses, etc. What you DON'T get are the configs for all your devices. Not sure how it handles GSD files.

2) You can use the Openness Scripter to get a simplified Openness interface to do importing/exporting of the SW. You'll end up with an XML file for each block, UDT, TO, etc.

In each of these files (aml for CAx/HW, XML for SW) you'll need to try to import it and see what errors you get, and see if you can fix them. You'll probably need to do do things like find/replace v18 to v17 in each of the files, etc.

It sucks, isn't straightforward and definitely isn't supported by Siemens, but taking a day to give it a go might be better than straight starting from scratch.

I investigated this as an academic exercise a few years back by using openness to export blocks as XML and then edited them to change from TIA V16 to TIA V15 and re-imported them using openness. I failed and didn't pursue it - if I had a massive project full of ladder logic then I might have been more motivated to get it going. I didn't even look at the HMI stuff.

Just an idea.. have you tryed to open the v18 project and v17 project and just copy paste the blocks & db's..

Copying between different versions directly didn't work at least on earlier versions.
Which I haven't testes is that download program to CPU (Change CPU FW low enought) and then connect to with earlier TIA.

Is upload code then to earlier TIA version possibly?

Is upload code then to earlier TIA version possibly?

Alas, no.

YOu can "go online" with a different version (earlier or later) to get diagnostics, but you can only upload with the same version. Even newer isn't OK.

Alas, no.

YOu can "go online" with a different version (earlier or later) to get diagnostics, but you can only upload with the same version. Even newer isn't OK.

Siemens ;)

So only option is openness and third-party softwares?

Yeah, to me, this is the biggest negative with TIA. Sure there's (valid) complaints about needing a beefy laptop, sure delivery is dumb right now (but who's isn't). Sure, it doesn't have a handy way to type LAD as text like Logix. But the way it is SO PARTICULAR about Portal versions..... oh my goodness. so many headaches. So many people who have headaches coming they don't even know about yet.

So only option is openness and third-party softwares?

what's the third party software? Or do you mean "not use Siemens"?

Only way I know is via openness, and even then it's an unsupported hack that gets you halfway there, kinda, not an actual solution. Tech support will tell you straight up that you can't go backwards in version, no workaround.

Yeah, to me, this is the biggest negative with TIA. Sure there's (valid) complaints about needing a beefy laptop, sure delivery is dumb right now (but who's isn't). Sure, it doesn't have a handy way to type LAD as text like Logix. But the way it is SO PARTICULAR about Portal versions..... oh my goodness. so many headaches. So many people who have headaches coming they don't even know about yet.

what's the third party software? Or do you mean "not use Siemens"?

Only way I know is via openness, and even then it's an unsupported hack that gets you halfway there, kinda, not an actual solution. Tech support will tell you straight up that you can't go backwards in version, no workaround.

It was mentioned on one website as alternative way, but I didnt't bookmark that and don't find anymore. :confused:

Same site mentioned openness so it probably meaned use of openness with own scripting. (github have some)

Another way which I finded was that you maybe could add 300/400 CPU to project, copy FC/FB blocks there and convert to SCL code.
Then copy this SCL code to older TIA version and convert back from SCL.

DB-blocks can be copied with notepad.
Still panels needs rewrite.

https://support.industry.siemens.co...ramme-of-tia-portal-v17-with-tia-v15-1/272661

Last edited:
I am quoting '0_Einstein' from that link:
If you are programming for an s7-300/400, you can open the v17 project, and change every LAD/FBD block's language to SCL and export them as previously suggested.
I have got to try this out.
I think it is not possible. I think that you can change between LAD and FBD, but not between LAD/FBD and SCL. Maybe he meant from LAD/FBD to STL ?

Anyone got hints or maybe even a guide to use Openness and XML export/import ?

Replaced document section in TIA V17 with one from TIA V16, current error as below:
(Not using TIA18 yet so going from 17-->16)

opntest.jpg