Simatic S7 Floating License

Disciple

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just git The Thumb Drive Back from Siemens with a Floating License for Step7 V5.3
Questions:
1.)Can I Make it so the ThumbDrive NEEDS to Be In the Laptop to Access the Program so No UNAUTHORIZED users can access the Program?
2.)This Laptop does not have the Most Recent Program Changes for CC-31's Program. How Do I Upload the Station? It's prompting me to Select Node Address??
Rack #??
Slot #??
Enter Connection to Target Station? IP Address? I've got a Fuzzy Memory of this But I want to Be Accurate.

I have Uploaded just a Certain FB

Thank You

I may not be 100% accurate since I'm not at my work PC. But I can point you in the right direction.

1.)Can I Make it so the ThumbDrive NEEDS to Be In the Laptop to Access the Program so No UNAUTHORIZED users can access the Program?
When you place the USB stick into the PC, "Automation License Manager"(ALM) should then see the license and "Lease" it to the machine. Then when you are done you can remove the USB stick. In the settings of ALM you could prevent the transfer to and from the PC, but then anyone else could just uncheck the box's.

2.)This Laptop does not have the Most Recent Program Changes for CC-31's Program. How Do I Upload the Station? It's prompting me to Select Node Address?
When I upload an entire project, I use an MPI cable. Plug it into the machine, then I believe goto the PLC menu and use "Upload station to PG/PC". Rack 0 Slot 2 is the default.

If the hardware config didn't get changed then you should be able to upload just the blocks that are different.

There are 2 ways I know of uploading blocks.
1) Open the block you want to upload in the LAD/FBD/STL editor, then goto the file menu and select "Open Online", follow the prompts and then when you are online click save, and it will to block to the pc.

2) Open the entire project, this will be an offline version. Then you can click the "Online" button, you will then have a 2nd version open, this one will be online. You can then select all of the blocks you want to upload, copy them, then paste them into the offline project.

A note on uploading. If you upload a DB, you will lose all of the descriptors in the DB. They will be replaced with "Stat", "Stat1", "Stat2" etc...

I have also seen this happen in the interface area of FB's.

Joltron, I am on a wireless network, so I dont use a PC/MPI Cable. I bought one for $50 from China & haven't had time to see if it works.
But I opened the Project:
Selected View Online:
Copied the Updated Block :
Then Pasted it to The Offline Project:
When it Prompted me If I wanted to replace the Existing Block, I selected Yes:
And Now the Most Current Changes are Saved to the New Laptop with the New Floating License.
Great Job Joltron.
To everyone here, This site is better than any Training I have ever received.
I knew Becoming a Lifetime Member would be well worth the Small Fee the Site Charges & I will continue to tell All Tech's Trying to Learn just like me.
Awesome Site!!!!

I can take the "Floating License", did I mention that it is a "Floating License", & Transfer from Laptop to Laptop & just keep Transferring to The ThumbDrive Memory Stick . This way I will be Able to Eliminate any Unauthorized Changes while I'm away from the Facility. Thanks Again Joltron!!

I'm glad that worked for you. Its always best to work with the most up to date copy when you can get it. Some problems could arise if someone changed a db, modified a symbol name, or added a network.

Good luck. And welcome to the forum!

This way I will be Able to Eliminate any Unauthorized Changes while I'm away from the Facility.
I think it only eliminates unauthorized access to the Siemens Software.
I think the project is still there to be copied off the computer so someone else (a dude with a pirated copy of Step7 on his own laptop for example) can modify anything he likes.

Not sure if you did this or not but, if you are unsure of the Rack and Node address you can click the "View" button (at the bottom middle of that window) and it will search and return a list of all the PLCs it can find on the network (usually only 1 or 2) and then you can pick the one you want to upload/download to.

;-)