SLC-04 to compact logix message

racegunz

Hello Gents , long time lurker here and many of you have helped me even if you never knew it. Thanks!
I am fairly competent with legacy and logix interfacing but not so much with the msg instruction between processors.
So here's the set-up, a 1769 compact e-net processor on a network with a net-eni module converting the serial from the Slc-04 to e-net. I think all I need is a valid path but the comm tree in the compact doesn't show the SLC on the network?
I set-up a int in the 5000 and did a Slc type read message. But I'm getting hung up on the comm path. Any help is appreciated I'll in the mean time be scouring the KB.:site:

Treat the 1761-NET-ENI as though it was a MicroLogix 1100 or 1400. It's the end-point of the Ethernet message.

DO NOT put the 1761-NET-ENI into the I/O tree of the CompactLogix.

The CIP Path should go to the Ethernet daughtercard or port of the CompactLogix, then "2, www.xxx.yyy.zzz".

The "2" is the Ethernet network port, and the "www.xxx.yyy.zzz" is the IP address of the 1761-NET-ENI.

Okay, so path should be like this Name of processor,2,199.199.199.10 correct? the way I read(been reading several posts on here) I don't have to map the tags this way? am I right? just input the source file N7:20 and the destination tag Robot_data correct? As long as the data tables are correctly sized (int) and proper length. Also no configuring the Net-eni module this way either?

The Net-ENI module still needs to be configured so that the serial port is set up the same as the SLC-5/04 serial port.

I think the Net-ENI default serial settings and the SLC-5/04 default serial settings are the same, so you just have to connect them together with a 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

You don't have to set up any PLC/SLC Mapping in the CompactLogix, and you don't have to set up any DF1/Ethernet node mapping in the 1761-NET-ENI.

The CompactLogix knows about SLC data tables and will send the correct type of message to the SLC via the Net-ENI.

Which exact model of CompactLogix are you using ?

The newest "5370" series have a slightly different syntax for the CIP path.

In the older CompactLogix, the CPU was Slot 0 and the Ethernet Daughtercard was Slot 1.

In the newer CompactLogix, the CPU and Ethernet port are both considered to be in Slot 0.

The CIP Path you describe where the first element is the controller name, representing "1, 0", is correct for the newest family of CompactLogix.

Well the SLC and the net-eni have been working on our network for about a year so unless the engineering group did something strange I'll assume it's got the default settings. As for the compact I'm home now and don't have the info, except to say when I did open the comms tree and clicked on the processor it filled in the MSG box with the processor name and underneath that it showed a 1,0. I assumed that meant slot 0 and comm port 1. It's an embedded port so the backplane should not come into play.
I have dealt with these comms paths before and AB really needs to make a utility to help set these up.

HAHA! with 10k+ posts I'd say you are right! I'll give it another whirl tomorrow if I get time.
The powers that be were getting ready to run conduit and hard wire a signal after it was taking me longer than an hour to get it going, they just have no idea! I only get to do this stuff about 1% of the time, hard to stay sharp.

So after re-grouping I still couldn't get the MSG to work, I just have to tell you what was wrong so it might wake someone else up.
First I was not involved with the installation of any of this equipment or software. My mistake was ***_U_ME ing anything was normal or correct or even complete. First mistake this particular Compact logix did not have an embedded e-net port, second and most important there were two e-net cards and only the private networked one was on the comms tree!🔨 That comrades was the problem.Once I got the path correct for the networked slot all was good, thanks for the tips!