SLC 5/03 to PV550 communication problem

sabreflier

I bet someone has already posted the answer to this , but I haven't found it yet:

I'm helping out a friend who has a PV 550 (2711-K5A2) connected to a SLC5/03 (1747-L531). They do not have the program for either the PLC or PV. I was asked to try and download the programs in case one dies (and they both look close to it).

The DH-485 port on the PV is connected to the top port (port 1?) of the PLC. There is another unused port on the PV which looks like an RJ-45 socket.

The bottom port on the PLC (port 0) is a RS-232 port. I have tried to connect to that port using a null modem cable and DF1 driver is RSLinx, but it will not work - even on autodetect. I have always used DF1 to connect to PV's but this unit does not have a DB9 connector.

This is a continuous process that only shuts down a couple times a year, so whatever I do can't disrupt the PLC. Any suggestions?

For the Serial you need a 1747-CP3 cable or make your own

3 - 2
2 - 3
4 - 6&1
6&1 - 4
7 - 8
8 - 7
5 - 5

For the RJ-45 port you need either a "PIC Box" or a PCMK card with the 1784-PCM4 cable, or there is a USB to DH 485 cable, which all are available from AB.

It could be that the Channel 0 serial port is configured for a different protocol than DF1 Full Duplex, and that's why you can't get online with the controller.

Important; that RJ45 connector on the PanelView is a DH485 connector, not Ethernet !

The best thing to do is to plug into that RJ45 connector on the PanelView terminal with a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC and you'll be able to upload from the PanelView and from the SLC-5/03.

The 1747-PIC is a DH485 network interface to PC RS232 serial ports with a very old driver that doesn't work very easily with Windows NT/2000/XT. The 1747-UIC is an updated USB to DH485 interface.

The odds are good that the PanelView is Node 2 and the SLC is Node 1, so try your 1747-PIC at Node 3 or higher.

Ken Roach said:
It could be that the Channel 0 serial port is configured for a different protocol than DF1 Full Duplex, and that's why you can't get online with the controller.

Important; that RJ45 connector on the PanelView is a DH485 connector, not Ethernet !

The best thing to do is to plug into that RJ45 connector on the PanelView terminal with a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC and you'll be able to upload from the PanelView and from the SLC-5/03.

The 1747-PIC is a DH485 network interface to PC RS232 serial ports with a very old driver that doesn't work very easily with Windows NT/2000/XT. The 1747-UIC is an updated USB to DH485 interface.

The odds are good that the PanelView is Node 2 and the SLC is Node 1, so try your 1747-PIC at Node 3 or higher.

If there are any versions of the app laying around he could find the configuration of channel 0.
Plus... even if he can connect I'd say odds are good that the pass through bit isn't enabled on the slc. In fact the two 5/03s I've run across recently had the older firmware that doesn't even have passthrough capability.
The 1747-UIC works great. The one thing that I have noticed however is that I need to set linx up as a service for the uic to function properly.