slc 5/04 channel 0 rs-232 problem

In Rslinx what driver did you use
A screen shot would be handy to give us all the details.

Are the PLC and the PV near each other or is there some distance between them
I am just trying to eliminate DH485 as its not the standard comms but is an add on comms that is available.

Can you get online to the SLC 5/04 thru DH+

DF1

There is about a 6 to 7 feet distance

I did not try to get online thrugh a DH+

Mickey is our resident PV expert so hopefully he will confirm .

I googled that part number and its a PV standard , and appears to be for DH485 with a printer port only which is RS232.

So this would appear to me that your SLC 5/04 channel 0 port is set to DH485

Do you have the capability to go online to the SLC with DH+ which if you do it would be my prefered method to get to the SLC program

I do not have the capability to go online with dh+ I would have to read up on how to, and what cable to use. Thanx

If as I suspect the PV and the SLC 5/04 channel 0 are set DH 485 then that would be the reason for the issue you originally had.

Mickey is the man to confirm this maybe after he has had a sleep.

You have the 9300USBS
Do you also have a 1747 UIC as well this unit I know would let you use DH 485

For DH+ a card for your PC not cheap, in my case its a PCMCIA card that fits in a laptop,
I believe there is also a USB to DH+ unit available but again not cheap,
There are other options for DH+ to Ethernet also.

Last edited:
The 5/04 serial port is configured for DH485

Product: 2711-B6C5L1
Description: PanelView 600 Color, RS-232 (DH-485) Communication Port. DC Power

So, the DF1 driver won't work, you need to connect to the 5/04 in one of these ways:

1. Through the serial port using a different driver:
--- A. PIC Driver with 1747-CP3 cable: Ensure that RSLinx is running as an application and not a service. Ensure that your PC is NOT running windows XP SP3. SP2 is okay. There is a workaround if you are stuck with XP SP3...ask and I will find the link... Configure a new driver in RSLinx and select the driver type "1747-PIC/AIC+" (even though you will use the CP3 cable and not the PIC module). Then ensure that the driver baud rate matches the SLC (19.2k is used >95% of the time) and that the station number is NOT the same as the SLC. I usually use 31 for the station number since often existing networks will start node numbering at zero. Connect the 1747-CP3 cable and try to connect. Also you MUST use a real serial port for this method. USB to serial adapters absolutely will not work with the PIC driver.
--- B. 1747-UIC serial to DH 485 adapter made by allen bradley.

2. Through the DH+ channel
--- A. To the mini din connector on the SLC. This requires the use of a DH+ card in the PC (or the newer USB to DH+ adapter made by ab), plus the matching cable and the DH+ driver configured to match the DH+ port. If you are using a laptop and have a 1784-PCMK card with cable, that will work and is faster and easier than using the serial port.
--- B. To the three pin connector if you have a method to connect to a network to which that port is connected. For instance, a desktop PC with a DH+ card installed.

Let us know which of these scenarios applies and we can help work though any details that may apply.

Paul

Last edited: