SLC 500 loses network comms

jon511

I have a slc 500 that communicates with a softengine and a RSSQL server. About once a day the communication with the SLC locks up, the only way I have been able to get the communication going again is to power down the processor on the SLC. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have 7 other SLCs that communicate the same way, with the softengine and RSSQL server, but this is the only one that locks up on a regular basis.

Jon, you've got to give us a whole lot more information than that...

Which model of SLC? I assume it's not really a SLC500 -- those old bricks have been obsolete for years. How is it communicating to the softengine/rssql? What do you mean that it "locks up"? How is everything networked?

Sorry about that.

All the SLC's are 5/05, the softengine is running softlogix5, all communications are through ethernet. A Cisco switch is used to connect all the plcs to the plant network. The ethernet port is what locks up on the SLC 5/05, it only happens on the one 5/05. When it locks up, the ethernet indicator light stays on solid, the only way to get it to start communicating is to reset the power to the 5/05. I have tried a different processor in the problem plc, and it still locks up. This would lead me to believe it is a network problem, but this is the only 5/05 that locks up on a regular basis.

Is it possible for the communication to get lock up by the plc program?

How similar are the programs between processors?

Have you done an audit on the communications to ensure that there is no messaging that may be locking up the ethernet port?

The plc programs are pretty similar. The 5/05 that locks up has 6 MSG instructions in it.

About doing and audit, do you mean the audit the network or the plc. I can monitor the network traffic through the cicso switch, and there doesn't seem to be any problems there. Can you do an audit on the plc communications.

When it locks up, have you tried going online to see if one of the MSG blocks has any error codes.

Also are you continously sending the MSG blocks through a timer or are you staggering your message blocks.

You may also want to look at resetting the MSG error with an OTU.

The key point is to find out what is stalling the port.

It could be from another source - if the request is creating errors.

The first step could be determining if the errors were originating from the PLC end.

First, I would like to thank you guys for the help.

The last time it locked up, I had to go online through the rs232 port. None of the MSG blocks were errored out. Three of the MSG blocks were enabled. All the MSG blocks have a time out value of 23, but none of them were errored out.

I just dug a little deeper, 2 of the MSG blocks have the error bit being unlatched as soon as it makes, so it is possible that one of them did have a error. Is there a error log anywhere in the plc that keeps track of errors.

You may want to put logic into the program that limits the messages.

Search the Rockwell Website for Message Manager.

There is a nice write up in one of the articles on how to implement in ControlLogix - same basic principle could be applied here.