SLC 500 Master Password

Markn902

Hi everyone I received a lot of help the last time I was on and hopefully someone can help me out here. I am working with a SLC 500, 1747-L524 on a unit from 2001. I have no idea what the master password is and don't believe there is much of a chance of finding it. I remember from the last time I was searching that there may be a way to work around that. If anyone has some guidance here I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks!

We don't discuss password cracking here. Your first approach should be to speak with the OEM, or anyone from the OEM's company that you can find, and request the password.

If that fails, you should contact your local RA distributor. If you can prove ownership, they may be able to help you.

Even if you found the "master password", RSLogix 500 now recognizes it and won't transmit it to the controller, rendering it moot.

I'm not sure how far back you'd have to do with RSLogix 500 versions to find one that did transmit the password.

Either way, the best route is to talk to Rockwell Automation directly, as this Forum's community standards prohibit discussion of these methods.

Hi again thanks for the responses. I can appreciate the community standards I really hadn't thought about it that way. I guess I wasn't looking for a "master password" just a way to get into the password protected PLC. only to copy the program and put it on a separate PLC to get a separate downed unit up and working. Anyway I got it figured out and am up and running!

Thanks

Markn902,

If you cannot get / find the oem and they will not help you, you will have to do the following.

contact your local rep and explain to them your situation.

you will need to define the equipment and what it does - required

you must provide proof of ownership and rights to the plc program - required.

you will then have to sign a 14 page waiver with a hefty liability clause releasing the local rep, allen Bradley, Rockwell automation and all affiliate companies from all harm.

this does NOT release you from being in hot water if things goes south, so have your company sign the paper work and let them give you the information.

I had to do this years ago.

regards,
james

James Mcquade said:
...you must provide proof of ownership and rights to the plc program - required...

Yes James,

Even if you were given a machine, or have bought it and now own it, the intellectual property, that is the password protected PLC program, is still not yours by default. Rockwell are very keen to advertise their security policy regarding this matter so as to assure their valuable customers that their protected intellectual property is safe and will not be disclosed by the very company providing these security measures. So, in reality, anyone who does not own such intellectual property, should not be able to gain access to it, even by contacting Rockwell.

Markn902 said:
...only to copy the program and put it on a separate PLC to get a separate downed unit up and working...

Markn902,

If you are looking to copy a protected program into another similar or identical machine, then you would normally not have the rights to replicate someone else's copyrighted work (remember that word). While you may not see any harm in doing this, the OEM or author might.

As it is most often very difficult for someone other than the OEM or author to prove definitive ownership of said intellectual property to Rockwell, they will not entertain circumventing password protected controllers. They do, however, provide methods to factory reset password protected controllers, which, of course, clears the processor's memory.

As we are dealing with legacy equipment here, there has been allusions made as to what you cannot discuss and what you have to do to try and achieve your goal. But these such alluded to measures are not possible with more conventional equipment. Such measures have been designed out. But whether using legacy or contemporary equipment, Rockwell expressly state that they do not provide any service or procedure to circumvent or disclose any of their equipment's protected contents to anyone that should not have access to it...

562626 - Rockwell Automation’s “Factory-Reset” Policy
Access Level: Everyone

Contacting an RA Vendor, or Rockwell themselves, knowing full well that you do not own the intellectual property, should turn out to be fruitless. Anything else is contradictory to their security policy of never disclosing password protected user content i.e. RA Vendors or Support staff should not be divulging any possible circumvention methods they may be aware of to anyone other than the definitive author, which again, can be hard to prove, even for that author.

As you appear to have found a "way" to achieve your goal, you probably could not care less about all this, at this stage?

Something else to ponder...

Technically, the theft of intellectual property would require that the intellectual property be copyrighted, and not just protected by security measures. One is then accused of copyright infringement. If an OEM or author of a PLC program has not copyrighted their material, and has just secured it, and you gain access to it, then what rights have they to come after you, at all?

It is because most programmers do not copyright their material that Rockwell state that they cannot be sure of anyone's ownership, definitively, and so will not assist in circumventing any security measures that may be in place.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
My word......just flicking through while downloading and saw this -
Accessing the software for fault finding may not infringe copyright, as may altering to suit new conditions on site..... with the disclaimer that any warranty becomes void, however to copy it for any other purpose or to distribute it would certainly be naughty.

I see both sides of the argument however and I too forget what version of logix 500 would allow the master password (which is laughably cheesy) to access the PLC...but you certainly could do and I'm sure the version I have on VM ware allowed it's use.

Reminds me also of the Rockwell Automation "Gold Master" keys that opened up just about everything....Still have them somewhere, but I guess RA licensing has changed now