SLC 500/RSLogix 500 Communications

Big DOH! to Scott the engineer.

John, that's great news, most of the worst case scenario has been avoided.

Tell us what type of operator interface you are using (probably a AB Panel View). If so, and you have access to Panelbuilder saftware, open up the file for the operator interface and it should tell you which node and baudrate it was previously looking for.
If you don't have that information, go online with your processor and do a "save as" and add R1 or something to its name.

Then double click on the comunications (or channel configuration) tab in the project tree under the processor status icon. You should get a popup message allowing you to change the rate and node of the processor. If this is not available or is greyed out, you may not be able to do this online. The same steps apply just if you have to go offline you then have to download the program.

Change the rate to 9600 (RSLinx should warn you of an impending loss of communications) that's ok. If offline do the same and download (you should get the same error message from linx). Once you have changed the rate and or downloaded the program, reconfigure your PCMCIA card to 9600 but leave your node at 0 and you should be ok.

If it then does not communicate to the interface you may have to keep trying node #s 1-31 untill you get the right combo (if you can't determine the PLC node # from panelbuilder). DH485 is limited to nodes 0-31 and no duplicates are allowed (obviously as you have found out in the last 24 hours).

Let us know how you make out with the interface connection.

Good luck
Marc

PS Panelview files are *.PBA or *.PVA and plenty of us have panelbuilder32 who can help you retrieve the node info if needed.

ScottTheEngineer said:
I did this very thing with an Allen Bradley ethernet cable to the PCMK card on a slc500 processor that ran the AC unit on the power house for a factory in Michigan. Who would have thought that just shorting out the processor would kill power to the entire plant?
Processor started up again ok. oops
Just don't forget to write the data to the EEprom.

I do not understand this, a PCMK has specific cables to use depending on network, the PCM4/B having an RJ45 connector to use with DH485 devices. The PCMK card is not "ON" an SLC500, it is a PCMCIA card for use in laptops, it can be used with multiple AB devices. How would you connect any ethernet cable to a PCMK?
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um519_-en-p.pdf

The issue with connecting an ethernet cable from a DH485 device to a computers ethernet port is the power on certain pins is more likely to damage the computer.

Personal thought, if any device less than 150v can short out and blow the main panel for that system; not to metion the plant main panel, then there are severe issues with the electrical.

Last edited:
what hole?

Let me clarify this. RJ45 connectors are used on Ethernet and some AB DH485 devices. This is a picture of a PCM4 cable, as can be seen you can not connect an ethernet cable to the PCMK card as the card end has its own type connector. The little box looking attachment on the cable is just there as a device to connect it to a laptop to prevent damage to the cable.

1784-PMC4.jpg

Last edited:
F7F505DE-4F8A-4B0C-AB27-CBDAF7FF507D_200.jpg

The connector for this Ethernet cable is identicle to that which connects the PCMK card. This cable looks a little different but the ENET cable I had was Identicle to the AB 1784-PCM4/B cable used with the PCMK card. The only difference being the model number and possibly the elctronics package. My ethernet card was in a dual slot with my PCMK and the sockets were identicle.
Do you now see?
The processor immediatley shut off and came back up on a restart. My PC I was sure was fried but it came back as well after pulling the batteries and re-inserting.

rsdoran said:
what hole?

Let me clarify this. RJ45 connectors are used on Ethernet and some AB DH485 devices. This is a picture of a PCM4 cable, as can be seen you can not connect an ethernet cable to the PCMK card as the card end has its own type connector. The little box looking attachment on the cable is just there as a device to connect it to a laptop to prevent damage to the cable.

1784-PMC4.jpg

No kidding if someone left a PCMCIA ethernet card with the dogle wire next to it it is ENTIRELY possible someone could think it was the PCMK card and do the ethernet mistake. I've seen it 3 times! The hangoff module looks a lot like a AB filter. I wouldn't make the same mistake but......... It's not a big leap to think someone would.

TGIF

Marc

Everyone,

Again thanks for all the info. The operator interface is an UniOp
Model CP04F-04-1921 Ver SW 4.04.

From what I've been reading, I need UniOp Designer for Windows software.
I kept trying to find a trial version but to no avail. I have to wait until Monday to contact the manufacture to see if they would give us a copy. We have 5 of their shrink tunnels with the potential to purchase more tunnels.
I think it would be good business if they did this.
If not..I'll purchase a copy on our own.

I did find a different program called UniDataExchanger that mentioned it was compatable with the unit I'm using but I haven't had a chance to see exactly what it's all about.

I'll keep everyone posted when I have another update.

Again, THANKS to everyone!
icon7.gif

John

Greetings to all ...

just to clear up one point ... the little gray box on the PCMK card’s cable contains some important electronics ... the magic in the little box is what makes one cable appropriate for DH+ and another cable appropriate for DH-485 ...

main idea: you can NOT just cut the end off the cable intended for one type of communication - and simply splice on the end for a different type of communication ...

that will NOT work ... but that doesn’t keep people from trying it ... once ...

Ron,

Good point, seems obvious but the things that people will try on a Friday night at 10:30 to get the damned thing working are amazing. Do not cut the DH+ end off of your pcmk cable and try to put an ethernet connector on the end to talk DH485....
icon7.gif

Marc