SLC 500 - Sales / Support Status - Anyone know?

Lakee911

Does anyone know how much longer the SLC 500 series (specifically the 5/05) is going be sold? I have clients asking me this constantly, and all I can do is tell them they do not have Siver Series status (http://www.ab.com/silver/index.html) at this time. That doesn't mean they won't tomorrow though...

When it is selected for Silver Series, how much lead time is given?

How much time after will they be supported before they're obsolete? Is it always an X number of years?

Thx
Jason

Don't worry about it... They'll be here for a long time yet.

However, if you're looking for direction, unless there's a real good reason to stay with SLC, I recommend ControlLogix or CompactLogix.

Don't worry about it... They'll be here for a long time yet.

However, if you're looking for direction, unless there's a real good reason to stay with SLC, I recommend ControlLogix or CompactLogix.

I'll second this...

I just did some pricing the other day for one of my projects...I could buy the SLC 5/05, OR, a Compactlogix L32E.

The Compactlogix has a TON more memory and is a LOT faster than the SLC...all for about $500 LESS than the SLC!! No reason to use SLCs anymore unless you have to.

Thanks everyone. The thing is, if my client transitions prematurely, we're wasting all of that SLC hardware...sounds like a good reason "to have to." Hundreds of thousands of dollars are tied up in the hardware. That's a lot of money to replace if one is standardizing.

Jason