SLC504 Can't connect PC to RS232 but can connect through SIXNET Modem on RS232 port

Please verify what the 504 settings are for chan. 0 system.... Full Duplex, Half Duplex Master, or Half Duplex Slave?
By looking at your first post.. it looks like it is Full Duplex???

Comm Settings.... Here they are.

Thanks.... Below are the settings from the program. Yes it is Full Duplex.... Still strange to me that I can connect via the SIXNET phone modem to the RS232 port. Does anyone see anything wrong with the way I have the comm set here on the PLC?

I have only been using the DF1 Devices Driver... any other options?

general.JPG

ch1.JPG

ch0.JPG

user.JPG

I think the problem is that your channel 0 is set up as system and not user and under protocal control the control line is full duplex modem. Modem and serial are not the same thing.

The only way to change this would be to get online via DH+

edit: I guess you could change it through the modem but then the modem would immedietly stop working.

Last edited:
allscott... So you're saying then under Ch0 System... change the protocol control to something other than Full Duplex Modem? My only choice there is "no handshaking" does that sound correct?

Would I also want to do the same for Ch0 User? I can choose "no handshaking" and well as half duplex continuous carrier or no continuous carrier.

Then after this do I also under the GENERAL Tab Channel 0 MODE... do I leave the mode on SYSTEM or do I have to change it to USER. I'm guessing I leave it as SYSTEM as USER says ASCII.

What exactly is SYSTEM and USER used for? What is the difference?
Thanks so much for the help everyone so far...

RS232 DF1 devices
COM 4
SLC-CH0/Micro/Panel View
Station ID 00
Baud 9600
Parity NONE
Stop Bits 1
Error Checking BCC
Protocol FULL DUPLEX

One thing that bothers me is the above appears to be your RSLinx setup.
If so and this the setup for the PC using the built-in serial port, the
serial port usually is configured to take comm 1 not comm 4. This can be verfied thru device manager.

Mickey,

That is correct, those are the settings that I had in RSLINX. On the PC Com4 is the Serial Port. Com1 is the 56k modem and Com3 is tied to the mouse if I recall correctly. I can change it if necessary, but have been getting into the panelview through com4 as is. What do you think?

Change the Control line from Full Duplex Modem to No Handshaking on the Chan. 0 - System tab. Keep everything else the same as the screenshots you posted.

Mickey,

That is correct, those are the settings that I had in RSLINX. On the PC Com4 is the Serial Port. Com1 is the 56k modem and Com3 is tied to the mouse if I recall correctly. I can change it if necessary, but have been getting into the panelview through com4 as is. What do you think?

I was just checking. Its usually the other way around. If it works for the PV then it should be ok for the SLC.

See below for the AB cable pin-out

Last edited: