So... What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?

Terry Woods

So... What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?

It's Friday. We had a long and hard shutdown last night. Today we all made an unspoken commitment to leave the horses in the corral and to watch the grass grow. While watching the grass grow and glancing, now and then, at an occasional cloud drifting by, the talk was light and pointless... as usual.

One of the guys was talking about how, after the long shutdown last night, he took a bath with his girl-friend. It didn't take more than a minute or two for the conversation to become rather animated. The talk was light-hearted with the typical exchange of barbs which only further distanced the girl-friend from the conversation. It didn't take too long for the conversation to turn into a slap-stick exchange regarding various plumbing functions (just like a bunch of guys...huh?). One of the guys jumped in with something about a particular body-part being cork-screwed counter-clockwise down the drain. Of course, the joke is in the image. But, I couldn't let it slide.

First of all, cork-screws run clockwise as they drive into a cork. Second, in these parts, at least (in the Northwest United States), it is also the case that water goes down a drain in a clockwise manner.

Just like a geek, huh?

I then went on to say that, while all cork-screws are made to run clockwise into the cork, it appears that some bathtubs are made to drain clockwise while others are made to drain counter-clockwise.

When anyone in the US takes the time to watch their rubber duckie as the tub empties, they might fret to see that their poor duckie is getting dizzy in a clockwise manner. An Aussie, on the otherhand, will see his rubber platypus getting dizzy in the counter-clockwise manner. An Anzac will see the same as the Aussie, only it will be a rubber emu that's getting dizzy. (Platypus? Emu? Jeez, you guys are weird!)

Having said that, it occurred to one of the bright young acolytes that maybe it was one of those British Empire things, or a European Standard type of thing. Yeah! Maybe it's an ISO-9000 thing!

I said that it's more likely to be a British Empire thing than a European thing simply because of the physical and mental disconnect between Europe and Austrailia/New Zealand.

But then, I said, it appears not to be a British Empire thing either. The Canucks see their poor rubber Canadian Geese getting dizzy in the same manner that we see our poor duckies getting dizzy. In fact, the Brit's see the same effect on their poor rubber... uh... uh... what do you Brit's put in your tubs... besides your arses?

At any rate, Britain, Canada and the US see the same effect - dizziness by clockwise spin. Meanwhile, the Austrailians and New Zealanders see the opposite effect on their poor rubber thingees.

So, as the title of this post asks... "What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?"

BTW, I know the physics behind this... I just think it will be fun!

(0) (JFUE)

perspective

It has to do with your point of view - being "up top" or "down under". The water actually goes the same way.
:D

I think it's a hemispherical thing, isn't it? Like how all the furriners drive on the wrong side of the road? :)

TM

Methinks, Monsieur Coriolis, being French as he was, did not have much heart for poor Aussies...

So we in the Northern Hemi-ball are blessed with the clockwise spin while those unlucky down under are cursed with the opposite one...

Blame the French. :)

Originally posted by Terry Woods
while all cork-screws are made to run clockwise into the cork

Unless, they are a left handed corkscrew, as the image below shows:-

cslh_350.jpg

Originally posted by Terry Woods

what do you Brit's put in your tubs

You might be surprised to know, we also use rubber ducks....... there are some weird people in this world who might have something else made of rubber in their bath with them, but I don't subscribe to that way of living!!!

Terry,

One assumes that while you were having this 'interesting' conversation with your acqauintances, copious amounts of a substance banned under prohibition were being passed around?

Paul

Back to school Terry. Anzacs are Aussies AND Kiwis. The ANZ bit stands for Australia and New Zealand.

Kiwis are also known as BAA BAAS.

hemisphere thing

Okay by now we all know that it is Coriolis effect.(I remember in school the teacher explaining that if you are in a bath on an ocean liner as it crosses the equator and you pull out the plug you will see the direction of the water change.)

Another hemisphere thing:The BEST rugby teams and players come from the southrn hemisphere.(Paul you can explain to all our American friends what rugby is.)

This Kiwi lives in Aussi
We have a rubber kiwi in our dunny to encourage our two young sons to "hit the target"
I personaly avoid the kiwi so that none should ever refer to me as the "playfull piddler"
However, when I'm sure I'm alone (and it's confidential here isn't it?) I like to spin that little beaked buddy.
Hey thats not so weird
What's weird is his beak is always on the right when I start which means he's gotta start going anticlockwise at first impact.
Terry (aka DEEP THOUGHT) what does this mean?
Are kiwis west-east magnetic?
Am I starting at the wrong end of the bird?
Should I be in New Zealand and not here in Aussi?
As always, thanks in advance
Confused

Last edited:
The BEST rugby teams and players come from the southrn hemisphere

Hmmmm, not sure......Is ENGLAND (current World champions and ranked No.1!!) still in the NORTHERN hemiwotsit??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D