So... What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?

Hmmmm, not sure......Is ENGLAND (current World champions and ranked No.1!!) still in the NORTHERN hemiwotsit???
How can they be ranked #1 after losing all the test matches on their recent tour down under?
And the AB's have just trounced the wallabies to retain the Bledisloe cup!
:p

Gerry said:

How can they be ranked #1 after losing all the test matches on their recent tour down under?

Gerry

The simple answer to that is......

They are not, England are ranked No2 in the world, so I will let you guess who is ranked No1, here's a clue....

It isn't the Wallabies.

Paul.

P.S For you guys from the USA, you are ranked 15th in the world, one place below Canada!!

I went to NZ once.

The people there seemed alright and friendly in spite of drinking the weird water that doesn't go down the drain the right direction. Finally, I got thirsty and had to drink the water too. I'm still ok. Now I am looking for an excuse to go to Australia. Maybe drinking the strange water has an evolutionary effect. I don't think it has made the people there strange, yet. The funny water has done strange things to the animals though. I think it is safe to drink the water for a short time. However, if you see me at a trade show and I am hopping around or trying to bury my head in the concrete floor you know what happened. To avoid this I think I will try to only fluids that come from a can or a bottle, like beer. I don’t know which direction beer goes down the drain because I have never poured beer down the drain. I always drink the beer first. After processing, who cares how it goes down the drain?

P.S For you guys from the USA, you are ranked 15th in the world, one place below Canada!!
That because communist or terrorist aren't winning at Rugby. If the All Blacks ( when I went to NZ I was told about these national treasures ) were communist or terrorist then we would care. Are they communist or terrorist? If so we could raise Rugby up on our set of national priorities. I think our team did well considering that Rugby is not even on the national priority list. I wonder what would happen if we got our best football players intested. Is there any money in it? That too would increase Rugby's position on someones priority list. Maybe if our Rugby team did a Haka before the match we could win. That's a hint England.

Good morning Terry. That it seeks, in these weeks, initiating abouts without value and real end? Exists you fear so many for to be approached, capable of defend and argue about aspects in programming of PLC.
It is last joke of count, persons we read contend disconnected? Better Terry, eat fish.

First...

That was mighty dumb of me to misapply the term ANZAC in the way that I did; my apologies to all. I knew there was another term for the New Zealanders and that it was some sort of critter... I just couldn't convince myself that they would accept the idea of being called emus. I did a complete blank on the much smaller flightless guy... the kiwi. Again, my apologies.

Second...

Paul said...
One assumes that while you were having this 'interesting' conversation with your acqauintances, copious amounts of a substance banned under prohibition were being passed around?

Noooo..... there was nothing more harmful than coke and coffee. They haven't made the "bad-for-you list"... yet. It doesn't always require the consumption of mind-altering beverages to cause one to appear as if he had. All that is necessary is for two or more personalities to begin an open discussion on any subject. By the way, it is not absolutely necessary for the number of personalities to be equal to the number of physical individuals. Many discussions can occur between many personalities... all in my head... I mean, all in one head. (No, they can't! YES, they can! Shut-up! No, you shut-up!)

...anyway, when two or more personalities get together, there is always present an intoxicant more insidious than any liquor. That intoxicant is called "mob-mentality". In the absence of a particular agenda, discussions are free to move in any direction... that is called "the tangent-effect". Just as in a particle accelerator/collider, all it takes is the introduction of one tiny phenomenon to cause "spin-offs". Whether or not these "spin-offs" take on a life of their own depends on many things. One of those is the local environment; the "mob", as it were.

Various personalities within the mob might choose to follow one direction or another. Whether or not the choice is "rational" is purely subjective. The simple fact that there is support for a particular direction gives credence to the chosen direction... it does not need to be "rational"... it only needs to be "popular".

Hmmm... time to cut this tangent on a tangent before it becomes "Lost in Space" and I lose my grounding.

The point is that all it takes is for a bunch of guys (who feel secure in themselves) to feel free to take shots at each other while being perfectly willing to take the hits as they come. The entertainment value is directly proportional to the extent that each member of the mob is willing to be the current target. Of course, the unspoken rule is, don't get in the game unless you are willing to play the game. Under those conditions, conversations can, and usually do, go from anywhere to anywhere. How in the hell did my hijack get hijacked from bathtubs to soccer and football?

Quite often, although stone-cold sober, the conversations sometimes get as goofy as they do when we're at the pub. On the plus-side, as goofy as it might have gotten, we can usually remember the content.

And so... we ended up looking at bathroom plumbing. Yes, toilets were mentioned, but I didn't want to put that into the post because modern toilets do indeed force a particular direction. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that all modern toilets drain with the same spin. A bathtub, however, is different.

WOW! A left-handed cork-screw! Imagine that. Hmmm... wouldn't that leave the cork feeling like it was violated in a really, like, un-natural way? Or maybe it's simply the case that corks can "go-either-way".

jonton said...
What's weird is his beak is always on the right when I start which means he's gotta start going anticlockwise at first impact. Terry (aka DEEP THOUGHT) what does this mean? Are kiwis west-east magnetic? Am I starting at the wrong end of the bird? Should I be in New Zealand and not here in Aussi?
As always, thanks in advance
Confused

Dear Confused...

You say his beak is always to the right when you begin. You then ask if the kiwi is west-east magnetic.

I'm gonna take a stab here and guess that you are facing north when you stand at the toilet.

If this is so, then it is my guess that, when left alone to consider his lot in life, his thoughts always turn homeward. He is looking east toward home. Your poor kiwi is home-sick. If you have any compassion in your heart, you'll send him home. Please be so kind as to wash him properly before putting him in the post.

If you are facing south... well... damned if I know!

DT
(as in the DT's?)

dandrade... you just gotta find a better translator.

A friend of mine vacationed in Africa a few years ago. The tour guide took him to a location near Lake Victoria, dead on the Equator. They had two sinks, one a few yards (or meters if you prefer) north of the Equator and the other a few yards south of it. Water was poured down each drain in succession. The guides took great delight in showing the tourists how the water rotated clockwise down the drain on the north side and counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise if you prefer) on the south side.

My immediate question, as yet unanswered, was whether the Coriolis effect was so pronounced that a difference of a few yards would matter that much, or whether there were some strategic baffles in the plumbing.

And, unfortunately, they didn't have a sink dead on the equator, so the question of what happens there was unanswered.

1) Does anyone KNOW which way the water rotates ON the equator?

2) (Extra Credit) How many know why a clock's rotation is in the direction it is?

First of all I will apologise to Terry for assuming that because he has brought another 'weird' topic of debate to this forum, he happened to have drunk copious amounts of his favourite tipple. Which we all know to be MGD.

Terry, please accept my humble apology.

Tom,

Your second question comes back to the northern/southern hemisphere debate, does it not? I think that the answer to it lies a few thousand years ago when sundials were first invented. It was noted that to read a sundail, in the northern hemisphere, one had to face north, that way the sun was to the south, then the shadow of the dial would travel from left to right, or clockwise as we now know it.

Do I get the extra credit???

Paul

You do indeed get the extra credit, Paul. You pint of Guiness will be in the email as soon as I figure out how to get it through MY email's slot.

P.S. Thanks for the Bad Coriollis link - it answers my other question quite thouroughly. A six pack of YOUR favorite brew will follow Paul's.

Last edited:
since there is no one on here that probably lives on the equator, a road trip is in order. If, IF, the sink were located diretly over the equator, it could spin either way, so would it even drain? Well go with the premise that "wtta go down the hole" over the equator, and that it will probably go faster than a drip, maybe even have a no spinning "whirlpool" action. Since plumbing is not an "EXACT" science, along with carpentry, the sink is actually a few micro-meters off dead center, so the watta will rotate, one way or the other. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Meanwhile, dig out the MGD, the "G" Stout, a pair of Miller Lites for me, and let's get down to some serious d-r-i-n-k-i-n, err make that serious research, and down a few, and see it we care which way the amber fluid (barley pop) really spins when we hit the "Start Drain Flush Sequence" button on the wall that is connected to the micro plc which runs the bathroom.

regards......casey

The KIWIs (Silver Ferns) did NOT thrash the Aussies but they did beat them, with more than a little help from the Irish referee. Simply, they handled the diabolicle condiditions much better. Although, with the amount of ball the KIWIs had, they should have won by a mile, not just a few points. Good Aussie defence. The better team on the day won. Really though, it was one of the best games of rugby I have ever seen, and it did not last 5 hours. Netball must be next as the soccer is all over.

If the Aussies belted the Poms and the Baa Baas beat the Aussies, where does that leave the Poms without Wilkinson? Out in the cold one would suggest Paul. How long will they be number 2?

By the way, there is something you should all know about the KIWI. It eats roots and leaves.

Millers Lite? Yuck. Cannot even spell light. Come to Ozz and get some good beer. Cascade Premium lager is wonderful and so is Boags Premium. Both from Tasmania where they sit down and count fingers and toes with their relatives. By the way, both these beers win awards all over the world. They are really good lagers. Cascade is very hoppy and Boags is really smooth. Although I certainly do not say no to a good Kilkenny or two, or Guiness.

When in Sydney, I highly recommend James Squire brown ale. Made by Chuck Hahn, the only American I have met that can brew a good beer. His beers are wonderful. Also makes a very good wheat beer, here in good old Sydney town.

jonton, how long have you been in the best country in the world? One may suggest that you "got wise" and left the land of the long white cloud. Do you live at Bondi? It is often suggested that we cut Bondi off the Aussie mainland and let the Kiwis float back home. It was also suggested that when Muldoon was the prime minister of NZ, he emptied the gaols and gave all the inmates a ticket to Ozz with instructions never to return.

For those in the northern hemisphere, this is typical of the repertee (no acute, sorry, or is it brave?) between Ozz and Baa Baa land. It is ongoing and will never stop. None of us take offence at the barbs but take great delight in getting one up.

Back to the original subject of direction of rotation in the loo, how does this all equate to the direction of rotation of a good beer when passing through one's windpipe to a temporary resting place? Or, for that matter, a good single malt scotch, or anything alcoholic, with the exception of bourbon or anything associated with aniseed. What is the direction of rotation through the windpipe? I really could not care less as long as it reaches the desired location with the resultant desired effect. TEMPORARILY. It is only then that the direction of rotation in the loo could be of any interest. One could suggest that one could not care less at that time, if the session was at all satisfactory. The rusaltant "dribble" into the trough does not cause a ripple and the direction of rotation down the drain is not evident, if one can see that far.

I must admit that I am also partial to a good Aussie red wine. NO!!!! Not French or Californian. They have not body and are not dry or hard enough for me. We are really lucky that we are badly spoilt with a multitude of very good red wines in Ozz. They are also very cheap. I have just finished a bottle of 1999 Cab Sav that was very dry. It came from the Clare Valley in South Australia. Had to be decanted and was full of sediment so had to be allowed to settle. Cost me $12.99 AUS. Very cheap and very good. The best excuse for drinking this nectar of the gods, is that is very good for the heart.

The KIWIs make some good whites but I have not had a good red from there yet. It is too wet over there. Good reds require dry conditions and clay under foot. We have plenty of both in Ozz.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Let's see what I can do to stir up the pot a bit...

All of those routines where someone pours a bucket of water into a sink or tub are bogus. One way or another, direction is being imparted by the shaman. That is simply not a valid demonstration.

If it were... then, while standing to the North of the Equator (drain CW), the shaman should be able to pour the water in such a way that an observer could see a very small, but clearly present, impetus to produce a CCW motion. Then, inspite of that impetus, the water should "look confused" for a moment and then drain CW.

But then... how small is "very small"? How big does a "clearly present" impetus have to be in order to be seen "clearly"? Does that "very small, but clearly present" impetus then "over-power" any "natural forces" that might be at work?

Clearly, the very act of "pouring" invalidates the demonstration.

Try this set-up...

A sink in the shape of the lower half of a sphere (maybe 12" in diameter).
A small drain-hole at the bottom of the sink (maybe 1/4" in diameter).
A drain-tube mounted perpendicularly and extending below the drain-hole (I.D. 1/4", length 2").
A soft, rubber hose slipped onto the drain-tube (length 3").
The rubber hose is "pinched closed" by a hemostat. (or, would that be, "...a pair of hemostats."?)

Erect a sink-stand in an enclosure, protected from the effects of wind.
Mount the sink in the sink-stand... level in all horizontal directions.
Install a bucket of greater volume under the drain-tube.

Fill the sink to the rim with water.
Let the water "sit" over-night.

Now, take a handful of aspirin in preparation for the next step.
Crack-open an MGD and go make another useful (?) contribution to PLCnet.

Next morning...

Take another handful of aspirin.
Drink a pot of black coffee.
Clean-up all the dead-soldiers.

Go to PLCnet and see if you made a fool of yourself... again.
Attempt to repair the damages.
Make another pot of coffee.
Take another handful of aspirin.

Go water the Kiwi (why does he always face the Southwest?).

Go back to the livingroom and look at the shed erected in the middle of the floor.
Contemplate a bit on what it is... and why it's there.

More aspirin... more coffee.

Peak inside the shed. Hmmmm.... a sink....
Go back to PLCnet and see if you left any clues as to what the hell this is all about.

Ah-Ha! It's that rubber-duckie, sink-thingee!

Reach under the sink-stand and unclamp the hemostat.
Wait... wait... wait... wait... wait...
When you finally see a "spin" in the water, record the direction; CW or CCW.

Repeat the entire series of steps until you have a statistically significant number of observations.

This might take a while. Be sure that the frig is well-stocked.

Originally posted by Tom Jenkins
You pint of Guiness will be in the email as soon as I figure out how to get it through MY email's slot

Thanks for that Tom, I look forward to 'downloading' it!! My avator might show a pint of the black stuff being downed, but I would prefer it if you emailed me a pint of my favourite tipple...Hopback Summer Lightning

Originally posted by BobB
If the Aussies belted the Poms and the Baa Baas beat the Aussies, where does that leave the Poms without Wilkinson? Out in the cold one would suggest Paul. How long will they be number 2?

I am having Deja Vu here Bob..

Jonny Wilkinson will be back!!!!!

So will England!!

I prefer a bottle of French Cab Sav to the aussie variety and you can certainly keep your Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX, the only thing they are good for is using them in Terrys demonstration above.

I look forward to the Ashes 2005..... Not!!!

Paul