So... What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?

Q. What's long and hard and stuffs Ausies?
A. Primary school.
Hi BobB, Did those Kiwis win the cup again? Darn I missed that. Getting a bit old hat now. There's only about 18 blokes who play sport in that tiny country. Got to wonder how they do it, what with a hard summer of cricket and then they have to go off and play rugby in winter. Netball in the evenings too, now.
Tried some of that Hahn beer you mentioned recently at my birthday and it sure is a nice drop. Another beer that showed up was Bees Knees - Hint of honey, not bad.
I served my time at Bondi. Used to surf in summer and work in winter.
Ran in Sydney to Surf once, came about 3000th and took 1 hour.
Now, water, CCW, umm

which way to screw the cork

Hi all
dandrade I think you summed it up pretty well
and I agree completely although I`m not real
sure about the eat fish part. I also know the
3 answer to pass any state plumbing test and
it has nothing to do with which way water spins
going down the toilet. beerchug

Guess I am glad I am from Chatham Island.

Dead fish float upside down, and go down head first north of the equator, and tail first south of the equator. I know not why.

Okay, S*** goes downhill, payday is friday, what is the third question for the plumbing exam?

Ah but for the priveledge of actually attending the above mentioned rugby match Saturday night...I got to pay for that guilty pleasure in the peculiar manner in which the universe punishes automation geeks who attempt to live normal lives.

Arriving home around midnight(hours of traffic delay due to the traffic nazis deciding to road block to main motorway out of the city and breath test everyone)...by now merely damp instead of saturated, showered, and almost into bed, when ...yup...the mobile goes beep and its my demin plant in trouble.

Sighs...4 hours drive north in the pouring rain...arrive...smack some logic into shape so as if they try and make the plant do things it was never intended to do ..it doesn't get all confused...sleep a few hours....Sunday morning 9am postmortem (technically called by the Aussies as a "pineappling"), plus written report...and while you are here we've added some new instrumentation...can you do this while you are here...more code, more alarms, more boring bloody step holds...and then the plant precipitates a whole bunch of calcium in the cation column...more code to allow them to flush this out...more tests...and its still raining. Write on the blackboard 10,000 times "I must always write perfect code...first time, always" ...Just got home...will try to placate the other client tommorrow.

Well the All Blacks spent 29 minutes of the game inside the Wallaby 22m line, to the Wallabies 1 minute inside ours. Their defence was fantastic...but if it hadn't been such an atrocious night we would have tucked them to bed with a 40pt thrashing....Irish ref or no.

Re: hemisphere thing

stevez said:
Okay by now we all know that it is Coriolis effect.(I remember in school the teacher explaining that if you are in a bath on an ocean liner as it crosses the equator and you pull out the plug you will see the direction of the water change.)

If you sit right on the equator, does the water flush straight down?
Maybe it just vaporizes.

Rube...

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose... whether Terry is there or not.

So...why don't you go do a little research, take a sniff of that "rose" and see what kind of bouquet it has to offer.

If you say that it stinks, I'll believe you and I'll be happy that you got your curiosity satisfied.
If you say that it doesn't stink... well... I don't think I'll be inviting you to dinner.
If you say that you don't know... then... may I send some "roses" to you for your dinner table?

So...

No one has stood up yet and given a YEA or a NAY with respect to the rubber-duckies (or kiwis) going CW or CCW. Is this just an urban-legend, or what? How about a rural-legend?

There have been references to the "Coriolis-Effect". However, no one has attempted to describe what the "Coriolis-Effect" is, nor what the description of that effect was intended to explain. Could it be that this French guy had nothing better to do on a Saturday Night (or whenever the French typically take a bath) and found himself mesmerized (Mesmer, another French guy) by the water going down the drain? Upon being released from the "Mesmer-Effect" he decides to write-up his own "-Effect" paper?

What's the connection? What's the "Coriolis-Effect" and what does it have to do with bathtubs? Does it have anything to do with bathtubs?

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH PLC'S???

How about determining the rotational velocity of a fluid at the bottom of a round, variable-level, semi-continuously draining, center-drained, day-tank? The instrument is a pitot-tube near the bottom of the tank.

Depending on the direction of fluid rotation, the front opening of the tube might face the on-coming fluid flow (positive pressure) or it might "see" the out-going fluid flow (negative pressure). The determination of the velocity depends on knowing if the fluid flow is coming or going.

Maybe I could just say... If the velocity "appears" to be positive then it is clockwise. Then, if the velocity "appears" to be negative then it is counter-clockwise.

That could work... generally... in terms of determining rotation. However, the particular pitot-tube is more accurate when working with a "positive fluid flow". "...s'way it goes!"

So, whether the flow is clockwise or counter-clockwise, I want the more accurate reading. That is, I want to orient the sensor so that it ALWAYS "sees" the on-coming fluid, thus indicating a "positive fluid flow".

SO, DO THE DAMNED DUCKIE or the FORKIN' KIWI GO CW OR CCW???

I am at 45-degrees North latitude.

I'm not looking only for the answer to my prime question. I'm also curious about your understanding of the "Coriolis-Effect" and the Equator and... maybe ocean currents?

And who the hell is that Mesmer guy?

It would appear that some folks just ain't interested in having a little fun while exploring their intellects and the world we live in.

questions

1. I think so
2. don`t understand semi-continous draining
3. I would say at 45 degrees N Lat your pretty Hi
4. "Coriolis-Effect" 25000 to 0 + 25000 to 0 -
5. ocean current takes a little over 2000 yrs.
to make 1 cycle.
6. don`t know him. banghead
7. Hot on the left, cold on the right - Tom Jenkins You get an
A

Terry wrote:

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH PLC'S???

Who started this thread anyway???

TERRY - Let's put this in perspective.

You have a MGD at 45* north, I have a Miller Lite at 40* north. No matter which way we face in the room that we are in, the Miller goes from North to South once it is poured into the pie hole.

For the boys down south (way south), they don't care if it N to S, or S to N, as long as it's beer. And remember, Foster's is Aussie for beer.

NOW, Back to PLC's (sort of)

We have current flow, electron flow, and hole current flow. Which way does it go in each case? Does the PLC get comfused if it was programmed north of the equator, then shipped south? Let's just drop that discussion altogether!

T E R R Y
Take two I/O, wash it down with an ample supply of MGD, and post in the morning.

T O M
The local plumber that does most of the new construction has made arrangements with the city plumbing inspector to allow the faucet handles to be reversed when neccesary to match the water that comes out. In one master bath, the sinks were opposite of each other, the hot in the jacuzi was on the left when you were standing on the outside of the tube filling it, and one toilet was hooked to the cold and the other to the hot water. Flush twice to get a warm seat before you sit down! Don't flush a third time while you are still seated or you may have some "steamed" rocky mountain oysters.

regards all......casey

Last edited:
Terry Woods said:
Rube...
It would appear that some folks just ain't interested in having a little fun while exploring their intellects and the world we live in.

I'm having fun (the woods the coyote took a **** in were not the Woods).

I tried to take your advice, Terry. After I got done baling hay this afternoon, I went to a tank (small lake) where I'd seen coyotes before. After sunset, a coyote came up to drink and since they hunt calves, I shot the coyote, who was facing East. He fell to the North, leaving me to wonder if we'd been south of the Equator, would he have fallen the other way. I was on my way to smell the "roses" when I crossed upon a rattlesnake, who was coiled up clockwise, leaving me to wonder....

So, I'm going to assume that the coyote **** stinks, the Americans need to learn to play rugby better, that there is no shortage of MGD where you live, that Australia and New Zealand are nice places to visit, AND that if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it DOES make a sound and it falls any damn way it wants to.

That was fun.

Just so everyone is clear we export fosters for a reason (no one drinks it here) and XXXX is for Queenslanders, apparently they have no sense of taste or smell as evidenced by there facination with Bundaberg Rum.

Hey! I liked Bundie's. Good Cheap rum. I acquired a taste for Red Lion's while I was in Perth and wish I could find some here in the states.

Oh, and boat races are the best!

I have been to both places( Perth, Brisbane, Wellington amd Auckland) and must say that everyone one I met were very friendly and made me feel very welcome, especially the women. (I was in the Navy at the time, 83 and 84) I even was able to trade a USS Texas ballcap for an NZ police hat.

They have trouble spelling beer in Queensland - that is why the XXXX.
Bundie? Yuck. If you want a good Aussie rum, try Inner Circle, if you can find it.

testsubject,
it is a shame you did not get to the best 2 cities in Ozz, Sydney and Melbourne. It all happens very fast in Sydney, would make you feel like you were in New York. The restaurants in Melbourne overall are the best in Ozz. Although, there is some pretty good tucker in Fremantle, I must admit.