So... What's with those Anzacs and Aussies?

BobB,

I would have loved to make it to Sydney but I have to go where the ship takes me. :D

I am saddened now that my favorite internet radio station has gone off the air. The Basement was the best!

By the way, there is something you should all know about the KIWI. It eats roots and leaves.
I believe that's "eats, roots, shoots and leaves".
Get it right!

Does anybody in the world apart from Bazza Mackenzie drink Foster's??
I'm rather partial to Carlton Coldie.
The banana benders can't spell, so just drink XXXX.
Lion Red is a NZ beer, primarily sold in Auckland but not to my taste.

NZ produces prize-winning whites (sauvignon blanc & chardonnay) but a good NZ red is pretty rare. The reds from Aus and South Africa are generally much better.

Muldoon postulated that Kiwis emigrating to Australia raised the average IQ of both nations.

I'll credit the Wallabies with putting up a mighty defence - but of course that's all you can do if you don't have the ball. No point bleating about the ref!

...and we will never forget the "under-arm incident"

Yep! Just ordered some Nobilo and Montana Sauv Blanc.

Ozzies prefer to leave the "shoots" out.

Love your refernce to Muldoon. We all reckoned over this side of the Tasman that he cleaned the gaols out, gave them all a fist full of dollars, a free plane ticket to Ozz and told them not to come back.

...and we will never forget the "under-arm incident"

Neither will we. I can assure you that all lovers of the "pure" (read test) game of cricket were horrified. But we are also horrified at the absolute nonsense that is called "the one day game". It was only developed to make Kerry Packer richer than he already was.

Bring back Hadley and Lillee. The tests were a real contest in those days.

JorgeR,

I went to the site you posted. I understand what they said. They did not offer any logical argument as to why the claim is false. They simply said it is false.

I then followed the link at the bottom of that page to the "bad coriolis" site. They went on to say that there is a procedure (much like the one I described earlier) which will indeed show the coriolis-effect. However, they throw in this word "cyclonic" to indicate, according to them, that the water spins in the same direction that the world does (What the heck does that mean???). They also said that the water spins "clockwise" in the Northern Hemisphere and "counter-clockwise" down-under. Now I feel very strongly that I don't believe them.

A little more searching found the following paper...

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec96/843323324.Ph.r.html

In this paper there is mention of an "A. H. Shapiro, a physicist at Mississipi's Technology Institute". He has purportedly taken the question seriously and performed experiments to detect the effect. According to the paper, he found them... consistently. His results, much to my surprise, found that the tub drained "counter-clockwise" in the northern hemisphere.

The test was also reproduced by "Five scientists at Sydney University (Scientific American, Nov. 1965 page 54)." They found the complimentary result... "clockwise".

At this point, I'm glad that someone is "looking". However, I'm disappointed in the direction results.

If these results truly reflect the coriolis-effect, then why weren't the results in Mississippi similar to the larger effect in the ocean currents in the North Atlantic and North Pacific? Likewise for the Aussies... why weren't their results similar to the larger effect on the South Pacific and South Atlantic?

I can absolutely "see" and understand how the ocean currents come to be as they are. Granted, a bathtub is a mighty damned small ocean... but the causal factor should be the same... shouldn't it?

Wouldn't there be time for the effect to occur if the drain was very small?

The bathtub water will gain velocity because it really is draining through a "vortex". That I understand. But, why the contrary results in direction???

BTW... "Eats, shoots and Leaves"... isn't that the joke about the Panda Bear in the Old-West saloon?

Two guys are having an MGD at the bar in a saloon. A Panda walks into the saloon. He sits down at a table and orders a steak sandwich. When the Panda is done eating he stands up and carefully looks the place over. He eyes one of the guys at the bar and then he pulls out his gun and shoots him. The Panda then beats a hasty retreat through the swinging doors.

The other guy at the bar jumps up and yells, Hey! What in the hell was that???

The bartender says, Oh, that's just our local Panda. He always "eats, shoots and leaves".

Hi Dave - it has taken you this long to find this very old thread and resurrect it - I knew K1W1's were behind the times but 3 years?

By the way going to Queensland is like going back to the 70's - or 60's if you go far enough north.

Gidday Bob, thats a lovely place you have there(FNQ) I get up there as much as I can, what are you doing at this thred? NBTodo a (I never have found my PLC work boring, this topic just adds to the whole deal), good luck at the Netball, maybe we KIWIS can salvage somthing from the NZ sporting year, all the best