Software for electrical control cabinet

Platootod

Dear PLCS.net friends,
What is your favorite software that use for eletrical control cabinet ? (automatic wiring check....Bill of material..terminal layout..can drawout plc input/output circuit and etc..)
Thanks a lot in advance.:p

I've had AutoCAD Electrical for about 9-10 months now. I'm just getting to the point where I'm more efficient with it than with just plain AutoCAD....(in other words it's beginning to pay for itself). I started with Promis-E, which was a terrible piece of software, lots of unresolved bugs. Every time I do a project, I utilize one more piece of funtionality with ACADE....I really like 2006, it finally supports MDI mode.

Greg

Fritz_frederix said:
Hi,
At our plant we use EPLAN, it works just fine but it is also a bit expensive.
Rudi

Another vote for AutoCad Electrical. I'm using 2006.

I bought Eplan several years ago and absolutely hated it. At the time it would only run on Windows NT. I started using Via WD 16.0 and never looked back.

AutoCad is the best.

I use LT with electrical package for the last 12 years and happy with that.
Every other thing I treid was less then that.

If you are doing projects in this size range I doubt you would be using ACAD-E. Especially when you mention P&IDs. Most projects of that size I have worked with, the P&IDs are generated by a combination of the electrical/mechanical people and the majority of the info is extraced from the mechanical "Model" of the process piping (Intergraph's Intelligent P&IDs, aka PDS). My wife is now using a package that runs on top of ACAD for a similar type system as the Intergraph PDS package and so far the term underwhelmed just does not even begin to describe her frustrations.

For the field, cable and conduit schedules for the type of jobs I imagine you are alluding to, the electrical packages that integrate with the PDS type systems would be more to the project needs. ACAD-E is more geared to the machine/equipment level of detail. It will do the conduit, cable and field wiring schedules, but you sound like you are talking large process type jobs where you are more concerened about the power distribution and routing issues (i.e. your duct bank missing that large 48" process pipe that mechanical and structural departments say just can not be moved)

Just my 2 cents,

Darren

Preference to use one or another CAD packages depends on company you work for and your skills with another design packeges. Also from that fact, are you beginner or not in eletrical design. On my view ELCAD from Aucotec is the best for me.
Eplan 5.x I have tested very incinvinient for me, Eplan 21 I have never tested.