Solar Power In Industry

Maine installed waterless urinals at their interstate rest areas, and I have to also agree that they just aren't a good idea. Then again, although I love living in Maine, our government seems to be the first in line when it comes to jumping on the dumb idea bandwagon.

Last edited:
Lol! Your earlier comments cracked me up as well.

I can't believe I missed the "solar panel payoff" part of the discussion. 3 years is absolutely shady - everyone in the world would have them, then the price would go down and it'd be a 2 year pay off :nodi:.

I looked into this (did the math) a few years back for a residential system in California (where the gov't would effectively subsidize around 50% of the cost AND power was expensive). Saying it was a 10 year payoff would have been an aggressive stretch. But then again, some sucker may have overvalued it when purchasing the house...

Maine installed waterless urinals at their interstate rest areas, and I have to also agree that they just aren't a good idea. Then again, although I love living in Maine, our government seems to be the first in line when it comes to jumping on the dumb idea bandwagon.

I want to hear more about waterless urinals and why you say not green. I may have my own thoughts on subject but want to hear yours.

I am curious why you object so much.

Dan Bentler

I didn't say they weren't green (if there ever was an abused term, it's that one). I suppose taking a leak on the sidewalk whenever I wanted to would be "green" too, but it still wouldn't be a good idea.

My objection is that they smell and are dirty. That just about covers anything that can be wrong with a urinal, since otherwise it meets the general requirements.

Why are they dumb idea? Well, they might not be a dumb idea in Death Valley or the Sahara Desert where water is a premium. But in Maine, there is more water than we can possibly use in ten lifetimes. I have a 220 ft drilled well, and ten months out of the year I have water gushing out of the top of it. We have endless fresh water supplies in land-locked lakes.

But being a world-class nanny-state, someone in Augusta felt that we would be much better off to install waterless urinals in the rest areas. Whatever. I'm sure the tourists are laughing at us (while holding their noses).

Gee we could eliminate the urinals altogether if everyone just drank enough water to meet that which is "boiled off" in perspiration. Since this is a green effort we do not need to bother ourselves with minor details such as the kidney needs a little water to carry off the wastes - after all the prime function of kidney is to maintain proper water balance in body and secondary purpose is waste excretion.
Not only do we save water on the waste end but we save on the input end also. Green is good even though a lot of people might start looking a little yellow.

Hmmm a slogan
stop drinking excess water and save a whale!!!!
may even restore the spotted owl!!!!
Dan Bentler

Dan Bentler

Bruce

I want to hear more about waterless urinals and why you say not green. I may have my own thoughts on subject but want to hear yours.

Dan Bentler

I didn't say they weren't green, just not a good idea in an industrial plant. To those who aren't familiar with the concept, I will try to explain. You basically remove the water that is used as a flushing mechanism and sewer gas trap and install a urine trap. Now the urine is the sewer gas trap. To eliminate the urine odor, you must pour on this blue liquid. It is very similar to a vegetable oil.

This "oil" floats on top of the urine to "trap" the odor. Every use - in theory - the urine goes into the drain and the oil floats on top of the new waste.

The problem starts with the fact that a small amount of the oil goes down the drain with the urine. After a certain amount of uses, there is not enough oil to completely cover the urine and the odor starts.

The problem continues with the lack of education on how to maintain these units. When the smell starts, many people go get a cup of water and dump down the urinal. This fixes the smell (temporarily) because it has now washed down the urine. Next use starts the cycle over again.

The other problem with this urinal is there is no wash system to make sure all the urine is out of the basin. Some is inevitable left on the porcelin and never gets washed down (maybe Rain-X would help). The janitors, seeing an opportunity to clean something, goes and gets some cleaner (yes - even the cleaner the manufacturer says to use does break down a little of the oil) to clean out the urinal. Unfortunately, this cleaner also has a tendancy to break down any oil that is floating on top of the urine (if there is any left because no one dumped a cup of water in it). This breakdown then cause even more of the oil to be flushed away leaving nothing to trap the urine odor.

And the final problem is one that has more to do with people then the design. That is that someone (or many ones) will spit their gum in the urinal (I know, some guys are just nasty). This tends to clog up the small slit that is used to remove the urine and drain it into the trap.

Like all things (even plc programs), the initial design leaves a lot to be desired. There should have been some improvements before we replaced all of them. I can think of things like an indicator to determine if oil is still there so you can add some if needed. If you just add some anyway and there is too much oil, then the urine will not sink to the bottom very effectively. Cleaners need to be improved along with a system to wash the remaining droplets off the bowl.

Finally, with all this new innovations, many of the public water and sewer systems need to be re-evaluated to determine changes necessary to their system. When the new low-flow toilets went into wide use, many of the sewer systems weren't designed to handle this "super sludge" that lacked the water that used to come down the pipes with it.

Gee we could eliminate the urinals altogether if everyone just drank enough water to meet that which is "boiled off" in perspiration. Since this is a green effort we do not need to bother ourselves with minor details such as the kidney needs a little water to carry off the wastes - after all the prime function of kidney is to maintain proper water balance in body and secondary purpose is waste excretion.
Not only do we save water on the waste end but we save on the input end also. Green is good even though a lot of people might start looking a little yellow.

Hmmm a slogan
stop drinking excess water and save a whale!!!!
may even restore the spotted owl!!!!
Dan Bentler

Dan Bentler

:confused: not sure if this is directed at me or not. If so, I don't understand where this is coming from.

As a final thought on this subject, since I am no expert in waste treatment, these are more general observations. The water used to flush any bodily waste is not "lost" forever. Most of the time, it is returned back to the same system is was taken from in better condition. In addition, many waste treatment facilities must use a lot of water in their process to treat this waste. If it is not on the flushing end, then it has to be added at the treatment end. Is there really any benefit if you save 40,000 gallons per year (as claimed on the waterless urinals) but the waste treatment has to add 40,000 gallons to treat it?

But being a world-class nanny-state, someone in Augusta felt that we would be much better off to install waterless urinals in the rest areas.

Hey I'm in Augusta - Georgia that is. Maybe it has something to do with Augusta.

Last edited:
QUOTE not sure if this is directed at me or not. If so, I don't understand where this is coming from. UNQUOTE

My sarcasm at green was directed at society and not any individual. I am in favor of not wasting water to flush toilets or urinals but can only see reduction in use not total elimination. I foresee nothing but problems with this urinal idea. Back to the think tank.

Thanks for education.
Not everyone is Dead Eye Dick so there is splatter and drip.
From a public health and odor standpoint urinals have to be cleaned. This means you have to run a little water down which along with soaps destroy or carry off the oil.

Hmmm if they use waste deep fat fryer oil bathroom would smell like french frys - a good thing? OOOPS cant do that fryer oil is supposed to go for biodiesel.

Dan Bentler

Let's think about Wind Turbines and other Motion

Thanks for all your replys. We are somewhat in a dead zone
for constant wind, but I was wondering about other motion.
We have a separate plant area that has a number of large conveyors that are running. My thought is ,why could we not
mount a 3 phase alternator on the opposite side shaft ,and use this to generate 277/480 for lighting in this area of the plant. I really have not thought about it much. We also have
alot of air passing thru our ducts, I thought of tapping into this motion. Any thoughts or something that I am not seeing?
I may start looking into this someday this week.

Any responses or ideas would be great,
Thanks,

Thanks for all your replys. We are somewhat in a dead zone
for constant wind, but I was wondering about other motion.
We have a separate plant area that has a number of large conveyors that are running. My thought is ,why could we not
mount a 3 phase alternator on the opposite side shaft ,and use this to generate 277/480 for lighting in this area of the plant. I really have not thought about it much. We also have
alot of air passing thru our ducts, I thought of tapping into this motion. Any thoughts or something that I am not seeing?
I may start looking into this someday this week.

Any responses or ideas would be great,
Thanks,

And what exactly would that do? You take power from the grid to run the conveyors. Now you want to add an additional load to the conveyors to 'extract' (read: Convert the electrical energy that was converted to mechanical energy back into electrical energy) 'Spare' energy?

Unless your conveyors are completely gravity driven, that is a pure losing proposition. If they are gravity driven, then you have an issue with the lights going off when there is nothing being transported.

Simple Phrase to Remember when talking to these "Gonna Sellya Sometin' Good For Fast Payback" liars:

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

Maybe you should start looking into Cold Fusion next.

I did some calcs after having a discussion with some other people:

I did some calcs last night on doing 70% of my home, the price is without installation. Id be really weary of what some of these contractors say.

last month I used 2673 kwh of electricity

so 70% will be 1871 kilowatts of AC

we get around 5-6 hours of good sunlight and that is pushing it unless you purchase equipment to move the panels with the sun.

this is what you would need to put out 1800kw of ac

11.23kW Online Solar Grid Tie System
Code:OLS-GTS-52
Price: $47,350.00
Quantity in Basket: none
11,232 Watt Grid Tied System Includes: -(52) 216W Sharp Solar Panels (ND-216U1F) Spec. Sheet -(1) MidNite Solar Combiner w/ 600VDC Fuses (MNPV6) Spec. Sheet -(1) 10,000W FRONIUS IG Plus Inverter w/ Integrated Disconnect (IG Plus 10.0-1) Spec. Sheet -(1) 60A/240V AC Disconnect, NEMA 3R Outdoor, Non-Fusible (DU222RB) Spec. Sheet -(1) DELTA 600V DC Lighting Arrestor (LA602DC) Spec. Sheet -(1) DELTA 300V AC Lighting Arrestor (LA302R) Spec. Sheet -(4) 30' #10USE MC Output Cable

keep in mind that without a battery backup you will lose any days that are overcast or rainy.

this particular setup would need 936 square foot of solar panels, so you better have a big *** roof facing south.

another thing to think about is homeowners insurance. I am almost positive that you will have to add $ to your homeowners insurance. solar panels arent that durable, you can bet you will have a few broken ones if a hurricane passes thru. with all of that and system upkeep and replacing bad parts, I just dont see this being feasible.

obviously hurricanes arent a factor where you are but just about every area of the country has their own form of bad weather. I cant even imagine trying to fit a factory with a ton of motors with a solar system.

Just thinking out load ,it sounds like I am going down the wrong road, but even if I increase the load on 1 motor by maybe 2-3% ,but I
get 20-25kw out of a headpulley driven alternator it seems like I would be making out. I know if it was this easy, everyone would be doing it.
Just looking for some educational why nots.

Thanks,

""I did some calcs after having a discussion with some other people:

I did some calcs last night on doing 70% of my home, the price is without installation. Id be really weary of what some of these contractors say.""

I really like the word "weary" as used. It may just be a typo of wary. Either way it seems an appropriate and correctly applied word.

Dan Bentler

Just thinking out load ,it sounds like I am going down the wrong road, but even if I increase the load on 1 motor by maybe 2-3% ,but I
get 20-25kw out of a headpulley driven alternator it seems like I would be making out. I know if it was this easy, everyone would be doing it.

Thanks,

If you attempt to EXTRACT 20kw, then the load on the prime mover will INCREASE by 20kw + efficiency losses on the Prime Mover and the Alternator.

To get 25kw out of the headpulley, you would have to add 25+KW (more likey 30kw) to the system. You have to account for mechanical loses. So, you would have to input about 30kw to get out 25 kw to run your lights. Not a cost effective way of doing anything.

You can not take out more power than you put in.

Look at it this way, if you want power out of the conveyor system to run something, you have to put that much power into it and a little more to account for the mechanical energy conversion loses. I have well over 6 miles of conveyor at my plant, if this was feasible, I would be selling back power to the power company.