Solar Power In Industry

Rob

Make a list of where the energy you get from the wires into the drive motor goes.

----------USEFULL ----- LOSS
MOTOR -------90% ------10%
GEARBOX ------95 ---------5
CONVEYER -----90 --------10

The losses (generally heat) add and you never get them back. This is why several perpetual motion ideas never work
a fan on a sailboat
wind generator on electric car to recharge batteries
etc etc

Dan Bentler

I am so sorry ,my thick head just does not get it.Let me phrase this a
different way. Lets take material coming off a belt ,falling about 5',
into a bin( somewhat like a waterfall) and driving a propeller on a alternator, or a small wind turbine in a duct of forced air being used
to dry material. Is there a physics website that explains this.I am just having a mental block on this. Thanks,

Rob

If you look at the end of the system it does seem to make sense.

However you must look at the whole conveyer from beginning to end.

Could you capture energy from falling dirt out of a conveyer - possibly.
But how much energy do you spend to raise the elevation of the dirt? Of that energy lets say you capture 75%. You put in 100% and get 75% back.

Dont do an elevation change and save the energy in my mind.

Dan Bentler

Originally posted by leitmotif:

Dont do an elevation change and save the energy in my mind.?

Too late. He needed to elevate it to get it over the lip of the bin. Now you could make the case that the process doesn't need a bin but that is a different argument. There is a company making fluid throttling valves for sewage treatment that are basically vane pumps connected to motor/drive combinations. These generate energy back to the line. The process tends to determine the energy distribution. The question is how do you get rid of that energy. The challenge really is recovering that energy. The mechanism would tend to disrupt the process. But this is significantly different than the original proposal, which was put a generator on the tail pulley of a conveyor.

The same goes for fluid streams. Presumably the fluid is flowing the way it is due to some process requirement. Adding a restriction (which is what most energy harvesting devices do) is just going to require more energy upstream to get past the restriction. So you need to add the energy upstream just to pull it out downstream. Some processes might lend themselves to this type of energy recovery but most don't.

Keith

Rule 1!

Energy/matter can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be changed in form.

So... if you are taking energy out of the system (electrical power for lighting) you have to put that amount of extra energy into the system somehow.

As has been said TANSTAAFL.

Originally posted by Thomas:

As has been said TANSTAAFL.

Based on his last reply, I think Rob S. gets that. He just isn't fully thinking through the logistics of what he is proposing. And he has us telling him that he can't extract energy out of these items without putting more in. I see where he is confused.

Take the material falling off the conveyor example he gave in his last post. You let this material drop 10 feet from the conveyor to the top of the pile below. The potential energy the material swapped for kinetic energy on the way down is going to get completely converted to heat when it hits the pile below. It is now ambient heat and is very hard to recover. This falling material was a byproduct of the process. It will happen no matter what anybody does. So Rob S. is saying why not recover that energy. Well, that sounds good but how do you do it? To get the most out of it you need to move your energy recovery device with the material height, since you want to extract the energy until the new material is at pile height. This takes energy itself.

The same can be said for fluid streams, especially exhaust air. Exhaust airflow is generally just blown into the surrounding atmosphere. Fluid friction turns all the air velocity into heat in the atmosphere. Again, that energy is just lost. So why not recover some of that energy? Again, because you would influence the process you are trying to exhaust by restricting the exhaust flow.

So our saying you need to add more energy to extract that energy is not unconditionally correct. You need to add more energy only if you want to maintain the previous process conditions. Since maintaining process conditions is what most plants try to do we tend to implicitly consider this as a precondition to anything we do. Rob S. wasn't holding himself to that precondition.

Keith

Just thinking out load ,it sounds like I am going down the wrong road, but even if I increase the load on 1 motor by maybe 2-3% ,but I
get 20-25kw out of a headpulley driven alternator it seems like I would be making out. I know if it was this easy, everyone would be doing it.
Just looking for some educational why nots. Thanks,

The numbers and the switch from % to Kw led me to think you want to do perpetual motion.

Changing it
IF you add 25 kW to capacity of driving motor and you add a 25 Kw alternator anywhere in system (not counting losses) then it would work.

If you unload driven system (empty conveyer belt) that would also let you drive an alternator - BUT the 25kw demand of alternator must be met by the driving motor.

I suppose the best example of this kind of thing is a vehicle alternator driven by the engine. But you will not drive it for free.

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
If you unload driven system (empty conveyer belt) that would also let you drive an alternator - BUT the 25kw demand of alternator must be met by the driving motor.

Dan,

There is a cement plant close to where I am. They have a conveyor that is just the opposite of what you are describing. When it is empty the drive must pull the conveyor. When it is loaded the conveyor overspeeds and the VFD pushes current into the plant network.

The quarry is a mountain top, the plant is in a valley. The conveyor transports the limestone from the mountaintop to the valley 2,300 ft elevation difference.

They use a VFD with an active front end. There is also a failsafe brake. The original design used a 3 phase motor and an across the line starter with a fan blower wheel as a backup. The motor turns into a generator when it overspeeds. After several oopsies they invested in the VFD with a failsafe disk brake. The VFD enabled them to make feedstock speed changes without having to wait 22 minutes for the new feed rate to show at the end of the conveyor. There is a lot more than this to make the feed change but you get the idea.

Hmmm
hooking an alternator on this setup would work well. I can see it now "Joe jack the feed rate by a couple ton we need more power for the hot tub heater" or,,,,

Another is elevator w counterweight empty cab going up.
Dan