Sorry... can't help it...

OG got it almost right, it was "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". The shortened phrase of "The proof of the pudding" basically states the same thing though, that the final product (outcome) is what counts.

FYI: This term is believed to have originated in the book "Don Quixote".

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English language has trimmed it down.
http://www.bartleby.com/61/69/P0596900.html

Irks someone or not, the shortened version is an accepted phrase.

Wow.....

My impresions of what I read in this post.

But first a word from our sponcers. Any and all grammer errors are due to either a lack of education, or a lack of caring. Spelling errors are caused the same way.

First Impression: Some people are REALLY uptight.

Second Impression: Some people really like to hear themselves talk.

Third Impression: Some people are real insecure.

Fouth and most improtant impression: This is hillarious. I have laughed all the way thru this post.

If I have offened anyone, get a mirror and take a good look at yourself. Myself, I know I am crazy and I really like to ramble on. Everything in life is not serious and should not be treated as such.

Spelling is important and so is grammer. How important, is up to the person. Myself, I could care less. If I understand what they mean then the rest is just window dressing.

If that make me inmature.... Well I am sitting here eating ice cream for breakfast.

Sarcasm is a good thing.

I find it wildly humorus when Spell Checker has no clue what I am trying to spell. Grammer is..... Boring.

Well anyway that is opinion. That and 50 cents will get you a cup of a coffee like substance.

Thanks for reading my mindless dribble. You are probably dumber for it.

Second Impression: Some people really like to hear themselves talk.
Yes I do, if I or others did not then why have forums?

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that overall it did not concern me unless it was blatant or abusive. You crossed the line into blatant and abusive with that post.

The whole concept of my posts has been people will make mistakes and errors depending on certain variables but blatantly not caring is inexcusable for someone in a professional field when discussing topics on a forum with others also in a professional field.

Spell checker should never replace the use of a dictionary, if you look up a word then you will have a better chance of retaining memory of it.

Grammar, as mentioned before does not have an e. It may be boring but the basic concepts should be part of a professional adults repertoire. If you do not make the effort then do not complain when older and you are displaced by someone; or did not advance to the position you feel you should have obtained.

rsdoran said:
Yes I do, if I or others did not then why have forums?

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that overall it did not concern me unless it was blatant or abusive. You crossed the line into blatant and abusive with that post.

The whole concept of my posts has been people will make mistakes and errors depending on certain variables but blatantly not caring is inexcusable for someone in a professional field when discussing topics on a forum with others also in a professional field.

Spell checker should never replace the use of a dictionary, if you look up a word then you will have a better chance of retaining memory of it.

Grammar, as mentioned before does not have an e. It may be boring but the basic concepts should be part of a professional adults repertoire. If you do not make the effort then do not complain when older and you are displaced by someone; or did not advance to the position you feel you should have obtained.

Huh????

How did you get that from what I posted? I just reread my post and I find it to be the same joke I intended it to be.

Aparently you did not. I do apologize for the missunderstanding.

I do own several dictionaries and I use them when I feel accuracy of spelling and grammar is important. At this time I do not feel it is important.

I did not feel that this perticular thread needed a "professional" reponce with the added time taken to check every word.

FYI... Just for the record pertaining to my professional career. I am senior project engineer for the plant I work in. My career has advanced as I expected it to do. I concede that my career has not advanced due to my spelling and grammar skills. It has advanced on my ability to understand technology and utilize that technology to maximize production.

My impression of your last post. You were offened and you lashed out. Now my question would be to ask. Was that your intention?

On the subject of the importance of punctuation (and by extension grammar and spelling), I offer, for a diversion on a Saturday afternoon.

Edwardum occidere nolite timere bonum est

Bernie will probably recognize this immediately. Sister Mary Margaret may have cited it as she whacked the backs of Bernie's hands. For anyone else, paste the Latin words into a Google search for a good story. Caution, adult content!

Steve Bailey said:
On the subject of the importance of punctuation (and by extension grammar and spelling), I offer, for a diversion on a Saturday afternoon.

Edwardum occidere nolite timere bonum est

Bernie will probably recognize this immediately. Sister Mary Margaret may have cited it as she whacked the backs of Bernie's hands. For anyone else, paste the Latin words into a Google search for a good story. Caution, adult content!

Good point. To think a hot ***** to the rear was the result of comma placement does get your attention.

OT: Know it is the sadistic side of me, but I would enjoy watching the programer who had to create a spell checker for latin.

Aw Clay!

Just when we were enjoying getting ourselves in knots over grammar and syntax, you come along and throw logic back in the mix -
Everything in life is not serious
I don't think this is what you actually meant. And if you write your ladder logic like this you need to clarify your normally openeds and your normally closeds. I assume you meant "Not everything in life is serious" rather than "Everything in life is not serious".

I'll be glad when we get back to PLC languages.

Regards

Ken

Ken M said:
Aw Clay!

Just when we were enjoying getting ourselves in knots over grammar and syntax, you come along and throw logic back in the mix - I don't think this is what you actually meant. And if you write your ladder logic like this you need to clarify your normally openeds and your normally closeds. I assume you meant "Not everything in life is serious" rather than "Everything in life is not serious".

I'll be glad when we get back to PLC languages.

Regards

Ken

That would explain the smoking rubble some of my machines become.

Not this..... this Not....details details

Ugh next thing you know you will be saying mean little things like adressing is important.

Money4Nothing said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvdcande
I've been reading this thread with great interest and I've learned a thing or two about English nobody ever told me when I was learning the language. Conclusion: even a "moot" thread has it's value.

Kind regards,

I've been reading this thread with great interest, and I have not learned a thing! :rolleyes: :whistle: o_O
That's probably because you're a native English speaker and I'm not. Before this thread I didn't know the word "moot" even existed in English. In Dutch we have a word which is written exactly the same and simply means a slice of a fish. Now don't say you haven't learned anything in this thread. Let me stay around for a long enough time and you might even pick up some Dutcho_O, although you never might need it.

Kind regards and a good weekend to all,

I watched a TV news special or documentary not too long ago. The gist of the show was a comparison between US and Belgium students and their use and understanding of the English language. The Belgium students tested better than the US students. I think it was 20/20 or one of those type shows but can not remember at this time. I probably would not have remembered it at all if jdvcande had not made his last post.

Thinking about the above and what Terry originally posted I have extrapolated ( don't you love the opportunity to use fancy words?) that people in the US may not be learning to use English properly and/or falling into a downward trend of using shortcuts when writing. In general this may not be relative to many situations but when writing to people in a professional field it could be expected at least a semblance of proper composition would be used.

I stand by my earlier statements, people will still make mistakes and may not realize they have made them. If it is a simple mistake such as a mis-spelled word or improper punctuation but the main idea can be communicated then I would not place any importance to it. If it is blatantly bad composition then a correction may be appropriate. It has been shown that idioms or phrases that bother some may still be correct in the form the person used it.

An example are the words preventive and preventative, they have the same definition and either could be used. I took one post concerning preventive maintenance to imply the concept was ridiculous. Preventive maintenance is a very viable concept, it is why you change the oil in your car, to prevent damage if the oil breaks down. The concept is simple but implementation can be difficult depending on circumstances.

I can honestly say that this thread has shown me that I do like to write, writing gives you the opportunity to say the things that are in your head, all those things that you may not actually say. That does not mean you are not saying them because they are impolite but more along the lines of the people around you not being able to understand a word you say.

On another forum a person, I worked with on a carnival, described me as a no nonsense type of guy, guy with an attitude may have been more apropos. In those days I was not a talker, now either actually. The big or technical jobs went to me, in most cases I just had to be the boss per se, and tell everyone what had to be done. There were very few people around me that could or would try to understand anything technical, except the time I explained how to make a whiskey still.

Yes sir, I do believe I am developing a strong liking to reading my own words.

"Yes sir, I do believe I am developing a strong liking to reading my own words."

Yes sir, Ron... pretty soon you too will come to understand that there is no greater force in the universe than the urge to edit!

I probably should have, let's see what I can find.

Thinking about the above and what Terry originally posted I have extrapolated ( don't you love the opportunity to use fancy words?)

The space should not be there.

I stand by my earlier statements,

The comma should be a semicolon.

An example are the words preventive and preventative,

It should be "An example is ", I think I changed that to are before posting, not sure why. The comma should be a semicolon.

The sentence you quoted, to my knowledge, is grammatically correct. I take it you have an issue with it but disliking wording does not count where grammar and spelling are concerned.

I have a habit of using and/or, is/was, and similar. I think it is correct to use in this form but have not verified it.