SST Profibus Controllogix

infineum

I am using a Controllogix PLC with an SST profibus card SST-PFB-CLX-RLL. I configured it and it works well. I have one major issue. When I cycle power to the PLC, the card is offline and not scanning the profibus slaves. I issue an online command through ladder logic, the card faults. The only means to bring the card back online is to place the PLC in program mode and use the configuration tool. I used the ladder logic example supplied by SST in their manual (pg110) and for some reason it does not work. Any ideas?

Are you setting the SST card up as a master or slave?

What firmware revision?

I know we had to use hyperterminal to load a .bss file to the card.

Last edited:
SST Profibus

It is set up as a master. The firmware revision is 6.06.

The odd thing with this issue is that when an online command is issued, it appears that the card attempts to go online. However, in the SST configuration program, the master status is online error and all of the slaves are idle.

Binary File

Thank you for your replies

The new version of the configuration software uses a driver in RSLinx eliminating the need to use hyperterminal. I have used the SST profibus cards for the SLC and have used the binary file with hyperterminal. With this version, you can go directly to the card via the logix backplane and RSLinx.

The card is configured and scans correctly. I only encounter problems when I cycle power to the controllogix PLC.

infineum said:

The new version of the configuration software uses a driver in RSLinx eliminating the need to use hyperterminal. I have used the SST profibus cards for the SLC and have used the binary file with hyperterminal. With this version, you can go directly to the card via the logix backplane and RSLinx.

The card is configured and scans correctly. I only encounter problems when I cycle power to the controllogix PLC.

Can you post your program. I have used this card in Clgx in three apps and never had an issue such as this

Ian

Ladder Logic Issue

Thanks for your help.

I think I made a mistake in the ladder routine that initializes communication with the DP slaves. So far so good after the revisions. I will play around a little further and see if all of the issues are gone.

Thanks again.

Mistake in Ladder

Yes, there was a mistake in my ladder program; substituted an input word reference for an output word reference.

The scanner is working well without any issues. I also tested the SST card as a DP slave (to a S7300 PLC DP master). It also worked very well but you need to read the user manual very carefully on the method for configuring the slave through RSLogix5000. Also the SST card reads the slave configuration only once when you cycle power to the Logix PLC.

Question

Infineum,
Can I ask you why you have used the SST card as opposed to using a ProSoft #MVI56-PDPS ? I have a project currently where I need to interface to the CLX with a Profibus card. I only found two Profibus cards on the market: SST and ProSoft. By looking at the specs I opted to use the ProSoft, it seems to me that having both master and a slave in one card, when you only need a slave, would make things more complicated.
Can you share some of your wisdom please?
Thanks

SST Profibus Card

I chose the Profibus card from SST for two reasons. I had some favorable experience with the SST scanner and adapter for the SLC type PLCs. My only negative with this card was that the card was configured using a serial cable and hyperterminal (bin files). The configuration for the SST card for the controllogix can be download to the CLX through the RSLinx remote devices via linx gateway driver. This method is much more convienient than the hyperterminal method. The PLC must be placed in the PROG mode however.

The SST card can function as a Master, Master/Slave or Slave only. The scanner (master) is configured using the SST configuration tool. I really do not know the reasons for configuring a card as both a master and slave. If the card is to be a slave only, it is configured using tags in the controllogix PLC. These tags are automatically created (Local:"your slot#":C.Data(#). The user manual identifies the correct settings for the slave. Both the master and slave configuration are pretty straightforward using the user manual.

The other limitation of the SST card is data exchange capacity is 256 words input and output per slave. That limitation is not an issue for me.

Hello Infineum;

We worked with both the (earlier) SST card for CLX, and the Prosoft model. We opted for the Prosoft because the data exchange table size was a big issue, abnd SST's 256 words IN/OUT really did not cut it; also, the configuration software from Prosoft was really much better, especially for the Online functions (but you must be careful of the type of Profibus connector used on the Prosoft card, some long, 90 degree types interfere with the RJ45 connector for the serial connection).

Now, howerver, SST (Woodhead) has updated their Profibus module for CLX, and claim that it
Provides user-defined data space

up to 1984 Bytes Input and

1968 Bytes Output

So we might have another look at it. Data sheet link:

http://213.130.34.122/pdf/en/SST_PFB-CLX-RLL_FDT.pdf
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
Dchartier and infeneum

Thanks for the info. I will consider using the SST card based on the info by Dchartier.

SST_Power recycle

I am using a Controllogix PLC with an SST profibus card SST-PFB-CLX-RLL. It's setup as a master and it works well. I'm facing one issue. When I re-cycle power to the module, the card went to offline and not scanning the profibus slaves. At that time i'm issuing an online command through ladder logic, the card faults.The only means to bring the card back online is to place the PLC in program mode and use the configuration tool.
Any one can help me?

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Karthik

For the new version to work with controllogix over Ethernet. You have the latest firmware. We have rev 4 and we cant communicate over Ethernet.