Stationary Spot Welder help

"This might not be possible, but what I want you to do is..."

I feel a lot better about that sort of statement, and my colleague Steve is right that this should be a learning experiment not just in machine automation but also in machine safety rules, codes, and practice. If it turns out you've got a knack for it, it's a very lucrative niche.

It sounds like these welders are designed to have the workpiece held by the operator. So how do they use the two-hand system today ? Must they jig the work in place ?

Most of use who have been around a while have worked on machines that have taken digits, limbs, or lives. It's worth it to delay that part of your career as long as you can.

Unrelated: By the Seven, how did nobody else have the username Hodor yet ?

That sounds like a mess to me. Best way is to build the spot welder to fixture the parts. Operator loads, light curtain says they are clear, then hit a single Opto Touch Button. In my opinion, foot switches actually slow production down and stress the worker out. I have never built a machine for a customer where the operator has to hold a part. Would never do one either.

Last edited:
I think you have gotten some really good general advice so far. To really help you, if you could post some pictures of the weld stations, the experts here can probably get much more specific and creative to try to solve this problem in the safest manner.