Steps for going from SLC 5/03 to SLC 5/05

Cradoosk

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what types of steps are involved when removing a SLC 5/03 processor and going to a SLC 5/05 processor. Channel 1 will not be used. Is it as simple as downloading the program, or will the read I/O config have to be done as well? Also, I've been taught to never remove an input card while the processor is running and I was wondering: what happens if I do?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you'll have to change the processor type in the program before re-downloading it.

As to why you should never remove an I/O module online; it will cause the processor to fault. On the newer Compact/Control Logix PLC's you can set the action for each card if the connection is lost at runtime, so you can tell the PLC not to fault just because it can't see the card. But as far as I know you can't do anything of the sort on the SLC's.