Stuck Runtime Error SLC 5/03

mrdmrd

I have done some searching and found the cause of this error
(1F51h)

A loss of communications with one of the I/O cards caused by either the card itself or by the backplane of the rack.

My error is very random maybe once every 2 weeks or so. The system that I am using only has 4 I/O cards.

What I need to know is there any way that the processor can be at fault. If not I am going to swap the rack and I/O cards and use the same processor as I do not have a spare processor to put in this line. Well I do but it is way overkill I have a 5/05 but I would rather not use it for this as it is a spare for my larger lines.

Once I swap the rack and I/O cards I can set it up using another processor in my shop then trouble shoot the problem there with no impact to my production.

Thanks for any input on this.

Hey,

I see you are in Omaha, so am I.

What cards do you have in the rack? Is it in a potentially wet environment. I have seen it a couple of ways. Once the rack gave out in one case, and the card previous to the one indicated turned out to be the problem in another case.

I do not subscribe to change it all out theory, so I would try to localize it first. I was working locally on a contract basis to various firms in Omaha and worked for a local integrator for 4 years, so I may have run into you before.

Give me a call at 402-990-5311 and we can talk about it.

David

I have a SLC 5/03 OS 302 2 1746-IA16 115 VAC input cards and 1 1746-OW8 relay output card and 1 1746-OW16 relay output cards. The OW8 card only has 2 outputs used and the OW16 is full.

The enviroment is on the corrosive side this is an electroplating facility.

This is an older line but not what I would call super old less than 8 years.

The reason for changing the entire unit out is that we can not afford to have the down time on this line. With it swapped out I can set it up in the shop and try to troubleshoot it so that it will not cause a loss to production.

I'd swap the rack out first, mostly because of experience. Whenever I've had a intermittent fault with no assignable cause, swapping out the rack fixed it.

Hi

I had a similar problem, but with a PLC5.

We were going to swap the rack, cpu etc, but ended up only swapping the power supply first, and then the problem disappeared??

Swapping the power supply was also the cheapest/easiest option.