Student need help with RS logix 500

plcstudent123

Hey guys I'm new to this so I apoligize in advance if I'm not specific enough or use the wrong words. So my problem is when I try to go online with my ladder logic, Rs logix seems to open up another project. I configured the driver (RS-232) in rs linx, I went back to rslogix and went to communications, found my driver and I try to upload my file. Everything looks normal up until it finishes uploading and it opens up another project, which another student probably did. I have done this before and never encountered this problem. Now it seems that it's doing it on every computer. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for all the help.

It sounds like a different project has been downloaded to the PLC. Start up offline with your own original project and re-download it to the PLC.

Thanks bernie_carlton.......i was trying to upload my file instead of downloading it to the PLC.
That is a very common mistake now, but it hardly ever occurred before 1985 and the beginning of the Internet. Up until that time (and as RSLogix still defines the meanings), "download" meant to move something from MY computer to some other device or computer. "Upload" meant to move something from another device or computer to THIS computer.

Now, when people need files from an Internet source, they see the big words "DOWNLOAD THIS FILE" and think they are downloading to their computer. No, they are downloading FROM the source computer, but UPLOADING to their OWN COMPUTER. It is a hopeless word battle though. These terms are destined to be forever confused by the majority of people. I just thought some of you might actually want to know the correct original meanings. Now you can tell your kids, "I actually remember when download meant to upload.

DOWNLOAD.JPG

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's, I was programming a bunch of Siemens S5 stuff and often got confused. I remember seeing terms like 'upload to PG/PC' and 'download to PG/PC' (not TO and FROM). I was always nervous about downloading a blank program TO the PLC, when what I intended to do was upload the existing program FROM the PLC... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

I think of the terms in light of the computing/memory power of both.

When dealing with the internet your computer is the less powerful device. You UPload to the 'higher level' internet and DOWNload information from it.

When dealing with a PLC typically your PC is the more powerful unit (except is some humungous installations I guess) so you DOWNload from your more powerful PC to the less powerful PLC and UPload from it to your PC.

RSlogix 500 at least gives you a little hint in the gutter bar down the bottom when you hover your mouse over "Upload" or "Download" as to whether it's coming from or going to the PLC. Plus it normally will ask if you're sure if you want to download to processor, so don't click hastily!

Unity Pro kindly spells it out for you on the menu bar so you know what you're in for.

Despite doing it hundreds of times, I still check each time out of habit - no one wants to be "that guy" who shut down the plant and now a buncha new stuff isn't working anymore!