Suggestions for converting amperage to voltage loop

Dryhops

I recently replaced a set of gas sensors wired to a micrologix 1400 L32AWAA. These new ones are 4-20mA and I didn't notice until install that the analog inputs of the 1400 are 0-10v. Took an hour of troubleshooting my scaling before I realized the obvious.

Conceptually, I understand that I can add a resistor of the appropriate ohms to 'convert' the sensor output from an amp loop to a voltage, but I've never wired up something like this.

Can anyone recommend their preferred solution for adding resistors in a cabinet? What components are typically used for a professional looking install? Searching around, I see many signal conditioners do what I need, but they would be more expensive than just buying more IO. Something inexpensive would help and make my oversight less costly.

Thanks for your time!

Just put a 500 ohm resistor on the input terminals and you'll have 2V for 4mA and 10V for 20mA.

It is recommended that the resistance be of high accuracy, 1% or better

When I've had to do this, I just put the resistor on the non-field side of two terminal blocks. You can heat-shrink the leads if you're worried about shorts or anything. Never had any issues but obviously just getting an IF4 or an IF2OF2 would be the preferred choice

The resistor? There's no noise rating on those. Just get a 500 ohm with ~1% tolerance rating, or whatever accuracy you need. Alternatively, if you have a box of low-tolerance 500 ohm resistors, you can just measure them until you find the one closest to 500. Resistor needs to be rated for at least 1/4 watt.