Suggestions for USB-serial conversion

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

Please please tell me that they get an onboard ethernet port !
It is too painful to think of, if an onboard ethernet port is sacrificed for a USB port. Dump serial, and dump USB too ! A plain ethernet port (not Ethernet/IP) doesnt cost more than a USB port and is unendingly much better.

Well see the only problem with the Ethernet is it doesnt solve the issue of the massive numbers of older plcs out on the market that need program changes ect - which only have serial on them, and as we all know finding a serial port on any new computer these days (let alone a laptop) is an interesting quest - so really wouldnt it be better to go USB - ethernet combo on all new systems?

First of all, let me apologize for derailing this thread from its original subject. I was just so baffled by what Ken wrote, that I had to comment. I get so excited about news about new PLCs.

Controls Engineer, I demand an ethernet port on any new PLC I have to work with. I couldnt care less about USB, but if someone decide to add both Ethernet and USB to a new PLC, I shall not object.

Finding a serial port on a laptop is easy as long as you are buying a industrial laptop such as a panasonic tough book.

I just purchased 2 last week both with real serial ports

Finding a serial port on a laptop is easy as long as you are buying a industrial laptop such as a panasonic tough book.

I just purchased 2 last week both with real serial ports

It's good to see that plc_noob has got the budget that we all would love to have :) what industry do you work in?

The industry that I am in (PCB's) have all but died

PS: Jean Pierre, glad to see that its working good for you :) how's you new job going?

Last edited:
i welcome news that new CPUs will have faster port but I am also in favor of ethernet. i remember downloading firmware to one Logix CPU through RS232 but if i can help it, that will be the last time to use serial. ;-D

btw. for a CPU of ControLogix caliber, anything less than ethernet is a crime (was 10 years ago too).i do like AB controllers and maching software btw.). if someone is using RS232, then they should support some decent baud rate, at least 115.2k or better 230k, (not 9600 or 19.2k for maximum). even vanilla brand hardware does at least 115.2k on serial.

i am quite fed up with tons of "luggage" in form of various cables, PCMK, CP5512 and whole jungle of adapters and converters (422, 485, PPI, CIF01, CIF02, SC09 etc.).

programming cable should be just that - a cable, and it should be standard one. standards change but ethernet is today's RS232, but luckily it has defined pinout.

any other cable (not programming) can be whatever you want it to be, because once it's purchased, it is part of equipment (HMI to PLC, plc to servo, etc.).

if project (machine) needs 422 or 485 or Profibus or DeviceNet or whatever, i'll buy the card, stick it in, configure it and leave it there. that doesn't mean that my programming cable set has to be museum of all imaginable adapters. right now I have some 25-30 versions of RS232 cable and some 8 of them are permanently in my laptop bag. this is nuts.

i specially hate interfaces or "cables" that have electronics embeded. put the darn electronics in the CPU so I don't have to carry it. in fact make sure that all ports on that cpu are isolated so noise, ground loops etc are not the issue. it is industrial equipment so make it bullet proof (4 optocouplers are under a dollar).

i like panasonic toughbook mechanical shape and ruggedness but i didn't find unit with specs to my taste. i don't want 1280x800 reolution. do they have model with 15.4" display and 1920 or at least 1600 pixel wide? don't care if it's fully rugged...

edit,

i guess one has to buy it in USA, local website doesn't show anything above 1280x800 (will have to call and check)

Last edited:
i like panasonic toughbook mechanical shape and ruggedness but i didn't find unit with specs to my taste. i don't want 1280x800 reolution. do they have model with 15.4" display and 1920 or at least 1600 pixel wide? don't care if it's fully rugged...

edit,

i guess one has to buy it in USA, local website doesn't show anything above 1280x800 (will have to call and check)

Dell has one now also, see link

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/...002,602333358,1238030066,,12202843,2911261240

I am quite fed up with tons of "luggage" in form of various cables, PCMK, CP5512 and whole jungle of adapters and converters (422, 485, PPI, CIF01, CIF02, SC09 etc.)..
(y) Hear hear!
My programming cables live in box files. I have 13 on my bookshelf. If I had to take all my cables with me, I would need a small suitcase, bigger than my PC.:confused:

Hi Mickey,

I did but after reading the specs I'm not interested...

it's a 10 lbs blackberry, not computer (res. only 1280x800, shared memory, 6-cell battery, only 80Gb HDD, even optical drive is optional etc.). aside from metal housing, this is no match even for $400-500 models sold through BestBuy or FutureShop.

Panasonic USA sells semi rugged toughbook52 with all bells and whistles (and it's customizable). "same" product sold by Panasonic Canada uses cheesy low res screen. :angr:

Hi Mickey,

I did but after reading the specs I'm not interested...

it's a 10 lbs blackberry, not computer (res. only 1280x800, shared memory, 6-cell battery, only 80Gb HDD, even optical drive is optional etc.). aside from metal housing, this is no match even for $400-500 models sold through BestBuy or FutureShop.

Panasonic USA sells semi rugged toughbook52 with all bells and whistles (and it's customizable). "same" product sold by Panasonic Canada uses cheesy low res screen. :angr:

I wasn't recommending it. I just ran across it on the web and thought I would post it. They are both too rich for my hard earned money.