Suitable sensor for nuts counting packaging machine

JesperMP said:
I just wonder, why count the nuts ?
Who buys nuts by the number ?
Do you need the number of nuts for other reasons, statistics maybe ?

Undoubtedly you have never worked in a place that sells things. Everything has to be counted before packaging.

BTW, nuts/bolts etc may be refillled by a supplier, assuming they setup your bins etc BUT you can buy them by the box, 100, 500, 1000, etc.

When he mentioned "holes" it excluded peanuts etc, what "NUT", has a hole? DOnuts do not count.

An array may be an option, it depends, can one nut be looked at at a time, if so then an array of sensors can be used to determine if it is ONE item.

rsdoran said:
Undoubtedly you have never worked in a place that sells things. Everything has to be counted before packaging.

BTW, nuts/bolts etc may be refillled by a supplier, assuming they setup your bins etc BUT you can buy them by the box, 100, 500, 1000, etc.

When he mentioned "holes" it excluded peanuts etc, what "NUT", has a hole? DOnuts do not count.

An array may be an option, it depends, can one nut be looked at at a time, if so then an array of sensors can be used to determine if it is ONE item.

"I can't use a beam sensor as it might count as two when the nuts hole falls thru the beam."

The level of english is enough allow misunderstanding .

Unless these are "mixed nuts" , then they will be sold by weight , much quicker and as accurate as counting them . For info , this is the way GKN do it .

rsdoran said:
I made the mistake of assuming the nuts to be the edible type. Practically everything edible that is sold in bulk, is measured by weight.

Back to the original question.
I dont asssume that flyers are making lucky bags.
He knows what type of nuts are being filled into a bag at a time, and thus he also knows how much weight the bag must be when it is filled with the correct amount of nuts. Unless the number of nuts in a bag are 1000+, I believe he can get a zero error by weighing the bag.

I think weighing is still the solution.
At 5000 nuts per bag, what accuracy are you after ?
Have you investigated where the error is in the system at the moment, in the weighing or in the dosing ?
Singapore Mats asked you about what accuracy you have at present.

Within reason , it doesn't matter how many nuts are in the bag - you can have 5324 , all you need to know is the weight per item - if your nuts are different weights , but the same size , I can only suggest a change of supplier or medical attention .

Sure , the bigger your nuts are , the easier it is to count them by weight and get the resolution you require .

Nice thing about hex nuts is the hex bit , if an aligning conveyor is used , then it is very easy to measure them .

As mentioned , GKN sell nuts by weight , because they know how much the weigh .

Singapore_Mats said:
"Each pack is 5000 pcs"

I am backing off, nuts with holes are edible, 5000 to a package....geez, where was that stated?

FYI, in the US nuts (for bolts) are sold by boxes.

As stated many time before - if the original post had been clear , then there would be no misunderstanding - sometimes the level of english used leads to errors (and this isn't just limited to people who use english as a second or third language - but to native speakers)

More than one person who have at least one brain cell between them made a mistake as to the type of product being counted - either they are a bit thick , or the info in the post was ambiguous .

If I was being paid for advice - then I would expect a clear description of the project - when I am not being paid .....

I said I was backing off

I am not an engineer, y'all are, if you do not know, why don't you ask? The original post was clear, if you took the time to read it.

Where did 5000 get stated?

If not going to use your 2 brain cells here to derive a solution then why participate?

I am backed off now, no more replies.

Kataeb: Yes, inductive sensor can be use also, but the sensing range is shorter than this fiber sensor (30mm (w) x 1300mm (l) - Omron E32-T16WR).
if it is possible, you can install the inductive sensor inside the conveyor (under the passing nuts)...

rsdoran said:
I am not an engineer, y'all are, if you do not know, why don't you ask? The original post was clear, if you took the time to read it.

Where did 5000 get stated?

If not going to use your 2 brain cells here to derive a solution then why participate?

I am backed off now, no more replies.

I think you are well aware of your own abilities . When someone needs help or advice , I don't think it is too much for them to state fact concisely and precisely - It isn't my place to ask . The number 5000 got stated in post #17 I believe - I personally would have stated something like :-

"I need to count or otherwise measure nut fasteners which can be between M4 and M20 , either stainless steel or mild steel (but not mixed in material or size) , into a bagging machine for retail sale - the normal quantity would be 5000 , but the quantity would be settable from the process control system - there should be no more than x% error , and there needs to be y number of bags filled every minute - are there any suggestions "

The advice here is free and generally of the highest quality , given without condition - people participate for many reasons , I like keeping my mind a little sharper , and also to learn . Its no big deal - two people misunderstood the item to be counted/measured - if I am getting paid USD$600 a day , I don't care how many times I have to ask a question !!
like you , I am now also "backed off" of this one

flyers said:
The nuts has varies diameter from 5mm to 20mm, falling from a vibrator bowl, one at a time.
I just had another though, I don't think you can use a one size fits all bowl feeder because on smaller sizes you can drop more than one or are you planning to channel it down. Bowl feeders try to make the product come end to end.