Summer Semester PLC Labs

I did lab 1, 3, and 4 already because I have a PLC textbook that covered it. The rest are alien to me and the textbook. I am working full time right now as an electronics technician so no time for trial and error and the class ends in 2 weeks.

What is full time for you? 12 hours, 7 days a week?

No idea why the electronics degree requirements need PLC but my guess is the college's focus is broad-based learning, "just in case you might do PLC in the future" yeah ok. -____-
After reading this I very much doubt you are an electronics technician working in a plant. How many PCB's have you repaired compared to how many PLC modules have you replaced?
The time where an electronics technician was a guy desoldering and soldering chips and checking stuff on the oscilloscope is long gone... you now replace boards and a lot of the time your knowledge of electronics is not useful. On the other hand, opening up a PLC program and understanding the error or adding a bit extra to do something else is valuable for companies and that is precisely what colleges are trying to prepare you for. Except you seem to know a bit more than everyone else already... apart from PLC's that is.

Does the PLC technician at the plant have a test rack you can use? Have you asked to use it?
Why no try and do the other exercises one by one and come back to us with the stuff you got stuck on?

I did lab 1, 3, and 4 already
What did you learn by doing labs 3 & 4? Did you send your program to a running PLC to observe its operation? What are your answers to the questions included in each of the labs? Can you now explain the difference between integer, long integer, and floating point data and the limitations on their use?

giphy.gif

plcn00b,

lab 5 is very similar to lab 3.

hint: you will need integer registers and floating point registers.

every year, without fail, we see requests such as yours for help and we always give the same advice that we are giving you, which is this

please do what you can. if you have trouble, zip your program and post it.
we will be more than happy to help and offer suggestions.

james

Well, you are not my student. I don't teach college anymore. You do have a good instructor. Truth is, there are very few decent and zero great books out there.

I understand your mindset. Many of my former students were just like you. Many crashed. Most did quite good. Some are outstanding.

Here is the thing. You will not learn by copying work. You will memorize, but you will not learn. This is not a subject that lends its self to memorization. You must learn PLC's and related systems. I hate to tell you, but this is only the beginning. The sample projects are very worthy, but do not come close to the complexity of most running systems you will encounter. So you have a decision to make, learn or leave. If you don't enjoy the struggle now, you might better leave. If you are up to the challenge, quit whining and go to work. Every time you try something one of two things will happen. It will work, or it won't. If it does pat yourself on the back make sure you understand why and move on. If it does not work, try to discover why. Produce a different solution and try again.

I'm sure your instructor has a stack of "Change of Degree Plan" forms on his/her desk. I certainly did. I did not want volume, I wanted quality for industry.

just a suggestion to the forum members ...

the instructor who wrote these labs will PROBABLY be happy to share them - PROBABLY at no charge ... but ... it would be courteous to track him/her down and ask for permission to use them before circulating them - especially for commercial purposes ...

I am working full time right now as an electronics technician so no time for trial and error and the class ends in 2 weeks.

Seems to me you started late on your assignments and apparently you don't want to do the leg work. As others have eloquently put forward, that is really the only way. Copying other people's work does not teach you to think like a programmer, which is what this is all about. I learned that phase by myself without lab assignments, while working full time, at the same time I'm a father of a young family and am working on an engineering degree in my spare time. I regularly spend part of my nights on homework, don't expect others to do it for me. Straighten up and get to work young man.

No idea why the electronics degree requirements need PLC but my guess is the college's focus is broad-based learning, "just in case you might do PLC in the future" yeah ok. -____-

In the electronics trade these days there is a fair chance you will run into issues requiring programming of some sorts. In my opinion it is a good thing that your school tries to teach you some basics in the only correct way: by getting your own feet wet.

No one can take your swimming lessons for you. It is a skill you can only learn by doing. You will not learn to swim by watching others in the water.

A dollar "donation", is this actually serious?

And you only have 2 weeks left, well you're probably screwed. And no actual PLC programmer will do some of these programs for no less than 50 dollars, the ones near the end are not simple little programs that can be done in 5 minutes.

You were suppose to be invested in this class and pay attention to what you're learning, it's time to take your loss and either start over or give up. There's literally no way you're going to catch up in 2 weeks if you can't even get past the 2nd program which is what you're saying.

If you were looking for "help" you'd come here every week with questions about how to approach certain problems in these labs not asking people to just do them for you. It's one thing to ask for advice on how to approach or do something, it's another thing to just ask people to do your work.

You will never survive in an actual job like that.

I think you will find a lot of the same people on other PLC forums, it's not a very big community, also like most have said trial and error will help you learn.

Now if ask specific questions you will get answers . ie ho do I do this and then show an attempt you will get an answer.

Not sure if it is intentional but your tone is very condescending.

Because of you guys, I'm at least going to get a D. Luckily it's a passing grade in the state's accreditation board. I don't ever want to be a PLC tech but once I have enough time, I will master PLC and I'll make sure to reciprocate the treatment I got here towards future students or prospective hobbyists. I will dangle the solution in front of their faces and ask for an insane price for it. This place gave me the first impression of PLC techs and so far the image is money hungry.

Email notification disabled. Enjoy gossiping. 🍑

You don't get it. No one here actually wants your money. They were kidding. We participate here to help people just like you.......well, maybe not JUST like you. And we do that for free because it is a small community and we truly like helping people to grow that community.

But.....no one here will ever do your work for you and let you pass it off as your own. Just as no one here will help you to pirate the software we use. Those may seem like apples and oranges, but they are more closely related than you realize.

No participation awards here. Make an effort and we will be GLAD to help you if you get stuck. But momma can't do your homework for you on this one. So, its time to pull on those big boy pants and make an effort.

OG

Wait, this site has email notifications!