technical testing

Hmmm... I'm impressed... zodiac-type-stuff or not.... I'm a Saggitarius... it sounds really close to me!

"The Sagittarian employee is head strong (sound like me?), cheerful (yeah, I really am!), and willing to help (that's me in spades!).

Missed dead-lines? Sure. Dropping balls? Never! I have ALL of those balls in the air!

However, I do have some characteristics in common with the other signs.

I really can't stand unfairness to other employees, deserved or not.

Hair-brained schemes... I see through them right away. I believe in basics.

Loyal and hardworking... that's me... as long as the loyalty is well deserved!

I definitely don't depend on others for my self-worth... I can see what I'm doing and I know what it's worth.

I do keep track of those that burned me. What goes around... comes around!

Ultimately, am I a people person? Maybe not... but I most certainly am a process (project) person! I'm serious about that!

That reminds me of a cartoon that a guy hung on my wall... it shows a burned-out looking guy that is talking to himself...

He says, "I tried being a day-time, morning, person... can't do it. I guess I'm not a morning person."

Then he says, "I tried being a night-time, evening, person... can't do it. I guess I'm not an evening person either..."

Then he says... "But one thing's for sure.... I'm definitely one of those 24-hour-voices-in-your-head, kinda guys!"

I can definitely relate!

(1226)

darrenj,

I am a Libra and it is close match.
Can you post a link to the source of this and if you cannot I will just copy and paste.
Thanks,
Bob O.

Ken,

Can I add a footnote to Libra about being lazy and not thinking sometimes?

Thanks,

Bob

At my current job, a Japanese big boss asked for my blood type. I said A+ and he said that is a sign of a strong leader (even though I still haven't been promoted in 8 years). I am still a little confused since there are only 8 possibilities (much less than the zodiac employees). How many kinds of people are in this world? (10 - binary for 2; 8 - blood types; or 12 - zodiac). :confused: :unsure:

Testing and interviewing is alway interesting. Most of the mills in our area have setteled into a four part process. First Application and resume'. Second, a round of testing, personality/math/mechanical. Third, hands on. put a three wire start/stop station in front of them. - Nine wire motor instrument loop, and so on. (some go as far as having the applicant write a simple program) Then the interview.
I have been on both sides of this process. The only thing HR is good for is back ground checks. Testing, can be missleading. If I get someone who does exceedingly well on the test, I push hard in the interview. If they are midrange, I look for experiance, and practical knowledge. If they test poorly, (hands on included) they just don't make it.

The latest written electrical test I have taken was written by an engineer. I made the highest score on it, a 70%. They scaled the test according to my score, and hired five electricians that made no more than a 60. The object was to get a test that would not be aced.

Some of my questions are designed to detect safe workers. Some are designed to detect a lack of real world experiance: Would you use wire nuts or split bolts and tape to connect the T leads on a 35 hores power motor? OK I'll except split bolts, but what I want to hear is, "35 HP?" :confused:

If you have tech schools locally, talk to them. I am now teaching, and we work with several mills to administer the tests. I have a PLC/Motor control lab, and instrumentation lab, a small boiler, and several process labs. All great for the hands on.

This is great for several reasons. One huge advantage, is that it keeps us current with what industry wants from electricians.

One last thing about the schools. I am fighting tooth and nail to get more practical material into my classes. We have a staff or five, three are engineers. I am the only industrial electrician. Thank goodness, I get Motor controls II, and all of the PLC and instumentation classes. In other words, I get a chance to show them the guts of GE and AB starters, along with the basics of E-Stop, and other often overlooked areas. The trend has been to teach sophisticated programming, and not teach how to wire a system. I am changing that.

Good luck.

Test all you want but please do not hire someone because of a high test score.
It is more important that an employee:
1. be at work on-time, every day
2. be willing and capable of learning
3. gets along with others
4. is loyal to the employer
In that order.
IMHO

RussB said:
Test all you want but please do not hire someone because of a high test score.
It is more important that an employee:
1. be at work on-time, every day
2. be willing and capable of learning
3. gets along with others
4. is loyal to the employer
In that order.
IMHO
is number 3 a necessity?

Fred Raud

Fred Raud said:
is number 3 a necessity?

Fred Raud

Man, I think it is. Start-ups and late-night breakdowns can be bad enough without some know it all a$$-clown making life hard for everyone. We all know guys in temp agencies that hop from job to job, and with some of them it's pretty clear why.

I would say the ability to get along with people is absolutely necessary.