The PLC's Net 5 DVD PLC Learning Set

wileyc30101

Has anyone tried to learn from these DVDs?

Did they help you? Do you think they will help a total beginner.

I know this is the PLCS.net forum and I surely don't want to offend anybody. I just want to learn and I want to know if the DVD's will help? Seems like a lower that most price but still a lot of money for me...just want to spend wisely.

And do I need the DVD's and the books or does the DVDs cover whats in the book...?

Last edited:
The PLC's Net 5 DVD PLC Learning Set

Over 50 views "ZERO" comments....
I'm not sure how how to interpret that.

If you can't comment on that, can you offer an effective track for learning...there's just so much on the web...I only want the good and effective real life productive stuff...?

I was hoping the DVD's might have been that...!?

Have you checked Ron Beaufort's website.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/main_frame_page.htm

Some really useful stuff on there and a great place to begin.

Ron frequents this forum and is very knowledgeable, and his students all say that Ron's courses are the best they have been to.

He also has videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/RonBeaufort

Start at lesson 1 and work your way through. Even experienced programmers have learnt new things from watching these videos.

Cheers

Mark

Most of the experienced crew here probably has not purchased or viewed the DVDs.

I have purchased them and I went through a few of them. I am an instructor myself so I am always looking at how people present technical material. The DVDs are essentially "classroom" style instruction and for a beginner I would think they would be very useful. That format allows for more self-pacing than a traditional class would permit. However, nothing beats getting your hands on real equipment. So if you go the DVD route, then I would also try to obtain some inexpensive hardware to practice on.

OG

nothing beats getting your hands on real equipment

Thanks guys; I will be more patient...

And I do have the MicroLogix 1100 processor. I have the software down loaded, and thanks to some on this forum, I have my laptop and the processor connected and communicating...

So I'm all dressed up with no where no go....so to speak!

Start at lesson 1 and work your way through

Thanks Mark..
I've watched all 11 videos...(I think those are the ones you mean)
I can watch them over a few more times to seal it in...thanks again.
I have been in communication with Ron...he is very helpful also!
Just trying to get all of the "Good and helpful" information that I can...

Ron Beaufort class

I have personally been through Ron's class and was amazed at the knowledge and expertise this man has, I am hoping to be able to attend another class in the future to just be able to spend more time with him. He probably remembers me as I had very many questions that he always answered without hesitation. I have even considered paying for the class myself just to go through it again as I know there was so much that I didn't get the first time.

Thank you Ron, if you see this,
Mark Coates

Another good idea to create something visual/"real" to test your PLC on without building a panel and paying for or scavenging a bunch of lights, switches, pushbuttons, etc, is to build a PC-based HMI that you can run on the same or another PC networked to your PLC.

Do a forum search for "AdvancedHMI". It's an open-source FREE visual-basic based HMI software package. It's dirt simple to set-up for a Micrologix PLC. It utilizes Symbol Library with easy animation, so pretty easy to make a virtual motor start/stop circuit to test program on your PLC.

It's a pretty easy and fun tool to learn with, by adding in components to your screen, then thinking of ways to program the PLC to make the HMI simulate real world processes.