the worlds best and most famous PLC

Coke was a pick-me-up. Pepsi was for stomachs. It containted pepsin.

From the soda museum

The term "Pepsi" in its name is surely an indicator. One of Pepsi-Cola's earliest known advertisement is found in the Feb. 25th, 1903 New Bern Daily Journal, and one of it's claims was that it "Aids Digestion" -- a popular claim for items containing pepsin. Lastly, another newspaper ad produced in 1908 flatout said "PEPSI-Cola is an absolutely pure combination of pepsin -- that's what your stomach needs these days -- acid phosphate and the juices of fresh fruits." (However, it is a fact that by 1923 Pepsi-Cola no longer contained pepsin as an ingredient).

Well..........after 4 pages of rants while I have been away I just wanted to clarify a few things.

In my previous post I wasn't meaning to insult AD for what they do......Sorry Mike. They make a fine PLC. Its great that they offer a cheap alternative to factory automation. Lower machinery costs ultimately result in lower prices when I buy the product they produce. As I said earlier I use them when they fit the application.

But the fact still remains that that it is old technology.
I still love to open the cabinet on one of my customers machines to see a 450 series processor that controls it.

Lets see it consists of a TI rack, Seimens power supply and RIO modules, AD processor, all of the above tossed with some GE and Koyo labeled IO. It all works fine but lets just say it has "been around the block a few times" with different owners.

Dave

Ken M said:
Darren

You've now started a new line of inter-racial aggravation!
"the scottish" ? - the scottish what? There are many different ways of referring to people, objects etc from Scotland and getting them wrong is a sure-fire way of rubbing us up the wrong way.

The people in Scotland are the "Scots", not the "Scottish". The Scots were the tribe who moved across from Northern Ireland and displaced the previous occupants, the Picts. See, even thousands of years ago you had native inhabitants being ousted by foreign invaders. It's always happened and probably always will.

Objects from Scotland, things pertaining to or relating to Scotland, with the exception of the people (and the two further exceptions below) are "Scottish". Strictly, you can't call it a nationality, since Scotland is yet to regain its status as an independent nation (sorry, was that a can of worms I heard being opened there?). However I think it's safe to say that there is a Scottish national identity shared by the Scots.

Finally we come to "Scotch". I have only ever heard this adjective applied to two things originating in Scotland. The other one is beef. The first one is never, repeat never, referred to as that in Scotland or by a Scot to my knowledge and experience.

So that's set the record straight on that. Have I insulted anybody else in the process? I do hope so - that's what keeps these threads running!

Ken

Wow hope i didn't insult you :) Scottish people and things to a limey is everything that is made above the dotted line..

so what do they call scotch up there??

BTW tried to edit my previous post to the correct terminology but it wont let me..:(

I apologize

Well, since we're pretty far off topic anyway..... :rolleyes:
Anyone ran across this group before? Looks like some fairly entertaining material.

TOM:

That is way cool!

One way to keep people out of your "assigned parking spot", or stop the neighbor precious pet that keeps digging up the wife's prize roses.

Or, it could be mounted in the back of a pick up truck, for those emergency mobile "road rage" situations.

A device of a 1001 and one uses, maybe more.

Thanks for sharing.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Casey

How many uses was that? Was that 1001 as in 9?

Just to throw another idea in to this melting pot, have any of you tried counting on your fingers in binary? It's much more efficient than just 1-2-3-4-5. Starting with a closed fist and raising the appropriate fingers as you go you can get up to 31 (dec) on one hand. But just watch when you get to that 4 (dec) - we don't count like that in polite company.

Ken.

Dave,

To clairify thing; Koyo was the origonal manufacture of the Semiens & TI 405s. It was relabeled by Siemens & TI. Koyo is the parent company of AD.

I wont dispute the age of the 405 line, but it's a testiment to it's longetivity and robustness. Users of 15 year old machines equipped with an 405 isnt faced with obsolesence. And that's a good thing....

It's hard to use the age of a product family as an indicator of current performance. The Chevy Impala you buy today is not the same Impala my dad bought back in the early '60's. In a similar vein, the DL-450 is leaps ahead of the TI-420 I used 12 years ago, both in performance and functionality.If you want higher performance performance in the Koyo line you go with the rack-mount PC and run Think & Do. So it's hard to say that Koyo stood still from a design or performance standpoint. They have simply picked their audience and cater to it.

I'm not a real big Koyo guy myself, mostly because I have the freedom to use platforms that I'm already familiar with. But for the large majority of things that I currently use a ControlLogix processor for I could just as easily use one of the Koyo offerings and not see a significant difference in either machine performance or development time.

Keith

kamenges said:
If you want higher performance performance in the Koyo line you go with the rack-mount PC and run Think & Do.

Having inherited two lines and installed another that use Think & Do, I don't agree with this assessment unless you put a HUGE caveat on it that your production line "behaves" in a flow chart sequence.

Even then, I can do 95% of the things the WINPLC can do in a very low end PLC (and it is easier to do most of them!)

The only area where I see a potential advantage for Think & Do is in data collection/logging on an "NT certified PC", but I've got other ways to handle that too . . .

Marc

Oh come on,

This thread is in danger of making sense again! That's a couple of relevant consecutive posts I've just seen. Watch out.

So anyway. Three PLC engineers go to a bar for a drink. The bill comes to $30 and they each chip in $10. The waiter takes their money and goes to the till. At that point he realises he has overcharged them - the bill should only be $25. As he goes to return their $5 he decides to cheat them. He explains that the bill should only have been $27 and gives them all $1 back and pockets the remaining $2.
So the thre guys have each now payed $9 ($27) and the waiter has $2. But that only makes $29 - where's the missing $1?

PS : I want the answer written in ladder logic

Ken.

They threw her doll off the bridge.

That's a great old song, but it never made any sense to me growing up. I thought maybe they threw their illegitimate baby in the river (yeh, I'm morbid, but heck, here in Flori-duh, that'd be the gentlest thing to happen to a child in the past year) but I finally read the book "Ode to Billy Joe", and it all made sense after that.

If you get the chance, check it out. It's a good book.

TM - throwing in another tangent...

Who's Keith?

I know Rons got it, (he's well read and likely the right age), but I'm not sure about many others..

So just to end the mystery Pierre Trudeau was the very flamboyant PM of Canada (two stints for a total of 16 years), who plunged Canada into a HUGE debt, dated anything with two legs, and married that cuite young thing named Margret, (who really love to shop, and get around). These two were a paparatzi's dream, and seemd attracted to the scandal sheets. Maggie finally dumped Pierre after a while, and he was finally dumped by his party also... I think he died a few years ago..