Things you don't want to hear on a start up.

Said about me to an enquiring boss over ten years ago; ' It will never work again'

I was busy ripping out all the controls from a very old machine and retro fitting a plc. The person who said it had walked past and seen the pile of old controls behind me on the floor.

I can recall a few (most allready mentioned):

1) Sudden silence in the factory after an 'online' edit on a large
system. That make's your heart-rate increase.

2) Bang. Sound of a contactor (Motor-cable shortcircuit)

3) BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG - Flashh
Searching for the power supply cable of a large cabinet section
which got stuck between the back of the cabinet and the components-
plate (Luckily got away with a smooth face)

4) Real funny now, but not at that moment:
"There's no power yet, but go ahead with your work anyway. By the
way, should be ready by this evening".

5) Working on the malfunctioning valve-manifold of a swimming-pool.
Asked the manager if I could test the manifold. "No problem". Ten
minutes later he comes rushing in: the water level in the pool
dropped rapidly.

6) "Goodmorning Frank, what are you here for ??" (manager
miscommunication issue)

Greetz,

There are too many poles.

Are there a lot of Poles in New Zealand?

Last week I didn't triple check the wiring one of our electricians did when I turned on a machine and was about to start dumping my programs. Turns out he connected the Dynamic Braking Resistor to the DC+/- terminals on the VFD.

It was the first time I actually saw a drive catch fire. Nice orange flames.

Funny.

Lots, but this machine has 5 so our controller is a little short on gains. A PID can control a system with two poles.

This is what happens when mechanical guys design stuff without thinking about how it is going to be controlled. These idiot mechanical designers waste my customer's and my time.

Imagine controlling a weight attached to a slinky that is attached to another weight that is attached to another slinky and you are controlling the first weight from the other end of the second slinky. A few months back Pandiani and I worked on why the derivative gain is so important. That system has only one spring not two. A second and third derivative gain is required for controlling systems with two springs.

In this system the hydraulic motor is like a load between two springs. The motor is connected to the forks that are stacking lumber by belts. These belts obviously stretch. They probably aren't kevlar belts. The forks are not tightly coupled to the motor. On top of that there is hose between the valve and the motor so the hose acts like a spring too.

Last edited:
Customer: Why is it doing that?
Me: That's the way it is described in your functional description.
Customer: But that's not the way it's supposed to work.
Me: That's how it worked during the factory acceptance test and everyone signed off on it.
Customer: We must have missed that. Just make it work.
Me: How should it work?
Customer: I'm not sure, but that's not it.
Me: ??

My last startup went on like this for days....

You know, there are some things that all the checks in the world probably won't catch...

Fallo of 2003 - three days before a fishing vessel is due to be delivered. Diesel engine tech has been onboard for two full days, checking over installation.

3:00 PM on a Friday afternoon, engine is started and allowed to run at low idle while it warms. Technician checks various operating parameters. All is well.

3:45 PM - Tehcnician performs a no-load speed test (presumably to test the electronic speed governor). At about 2400 RPM, we hear a huge "bang", a puff of black smoke and hear the sound of utter silence. Once the smoke clears, we find the side punched out of the block. Brand new $250K engine in junk.

Here's what forensics found:

The engine was equipped with a crankcase vapour reclaim system. Basically, a large foam filter in a canister that caught oil vapours from the valve cover and allowed them to condense. A hose from the bottom of the can ran to the oil pan, while another ran to the turbocharger inlet to burn off any remaining vapour. A check valve in the hose from the canister to the sump was supposed to prevent oil from being sucked up from the sump when turbocharger was pulling a vacuum. Guess what? The check valve was installed properly, but there was no ball or spring in the body! Running the engine at high speed created sufficient vacuum to pull oil from the sump into the turbocharger, where it was eventually injected with air into the cylinders. Oil doesn't compress that well, hence the catastrophic connecting rod failure...

The poor technician was physically sick. Poor guy did everything by the book, but short of disassembling the hose assembly to inspect the check valve for guts or blowing through the hose, there was no way he could have found the issue.

Of course, engine manufacturer denied any and all liability, including cost of replacement engine, removal and reinstallation cost, lost time, etc. Eventually, however, we did get a new motor out of them. Lawyers ended up getting rich over this one!

Not quite a startup

Before I reported aboard the submarine finished a yard overhaul.
They took her out for sea trials and dove to check performance. When they slowed to check trim she popped to the surface. Tried again - same thing.
Flooded every tank they could and tried again could barely hold her under at slow speed. Concluded they had a non submersible submarine and shipyard loaded lead that night.

Dan Bentler

"Yup, it's gonna blow..."

Quickly followed by a 6 inch hydraulic ram blowing the bolts off of the top of the ram and blasting hydraulic fluid in the face of the guy who made the observation (me, I was quickly heading in the opposite direction).

That was my first thought too. :D

Last week I didn't triple check the wiring one of our electricians did when I turned on a machine and was about to start dumping my programs. Turns out he connected the Dynamic Braking Resistor to the DC+/- terminals on the VFD.

It was the first time I actually saw a drive catch fire. Nice orange flames.

That happened to me too. My electrician who usually never made a mistake hooked up the power to the braking resistor. Fire shot out of a control relay elsewhere on the board (I never did figure out why flames would be erupting from there). The drive was toast, as was the control relay.

On another job, some of our guys had hooked the armature to the field terminals and vice-versa. Caught the field trim resistor on fire.

"Yup, it's gonna blow..."

Quickly followed by a 6 inch hydraulic ram blowing the bolts off of the top of the ram and blasting hydraulic fluid in the face of the guy who made the observation (me, I was quickly heading in the opposite direction).

Hmm makes an argument for doing hydrostatic test I think. Nahh we dont have time for hydro - it will be OK its rated for this pressure.

In my head that seems to be a perfect day to take off call sick or whatever it takes to not be THERE.

Dan Bentler

Hmm makes an argument for doing hydrostatic test I think. Nahh we dont have time for hydro - it will be OK its rated for this pressure.

In my head that seems to be a perfect day to take off call sick or whatever it takes to not be THERE.

Dan Bentler

Actually what happened was that we had an Engineer from the jumper clip era who was running around jumpering inputs to power to read them in the PLC.

The input that got him in trouble was the one showing that the extruder head was closed and that the locking pins were extended. This set in motion the raising of the cylinders that were never intended to ever reach the end of travel.

Without the locking pins extended, there was nothing to stop the cylinders from bottoming out.

And it was sorta like in the movies with the heads of bolts busting off and flying by - only much quicker. No commercial breaks, and things didn't get nicely wrapped in 30 minutes. :)