Things you learn as an apprentice or new guy

Don't forget to put your fuses in right side up or the electrons will fall out and the fuse will be bad. Convinced a few people of this.

A rather stupid production supervisor we had at one place I worked asked how we got the different voltages for our electrical circuits. We told him you take a 480v wire and divide the strands in two to get your 240v, then divide the wires from that to get your 120v. He actually believed it for a few days before we had to set him straight, we were afraid he would burn his house down or get someone killed.

Aaah then there was Leonard Bell on the submarine. Fresh from Iowa 17 years old. Jake old crusty A gang type told him to find a fallopian tube to drain the CO2 scrubber. After lots of chasing around the Captain told Leonard to see the Corpsman. Doc taught him all about fallopian tubes.

Leonard had a rough first couple weeks on board

Dan Bentler

Funny thing about skyhooks.... When i came to work at my current job, i saw a device hanging beside the machinists bench. I asked him what it was and he said "a skyhook". I thought he was joking with me until i looked at it closer and saw the factory installed tag that said "Skyhook". Apparently a Skyhook is a hoist that attaches to a lathe to help you change the chuck or heavy parts.

Now i'm just waiting on someone to tell me to bring them a skyhook!

Another fun one to do to people is ask them how many 6011 welding rods they can bend into a U around the back of their neck. Have to make it sound like a believable competition though -- "I myself can do 7 or 8!"

A little while later you can send them to get a can of Arc-Start to keep their your welding rod from sticking.

We had a rotary union with a built in quick exhaust. It had a muffler on it. So when the bearing locks up what's the bearing called. A "Muffler bearing"

The other initiation ceremony was to go over to the pub on a Friday and get the apprentice drunk. For anyone on this site whos been stationed in my neck of the woods (Bases at Mildenhall and Lakenheath)four pints of Draught Abbot ale can have a really debillatating effect on a 16 year old!!!
Give him a few Woodpecker Ciders, then have him ride a bike from the Bird in Hand to the base through the alley (if either is still there).

Talk about long term abuse - a software controls group I was in hired a new guy after 8 years of us same ol' guys. I hollered at our ex-"newest" employee, "HEY! congratulations, you're no longer the new guy!" He was still embarrassed by that, lol.

skyhook2.jpg

I found the Sky Hook! It even meets OSHA requirements!