Things you learn as an apprentice or new guy

Originally posted by inst_tech:

best one i heard was to send an instrument apprentice for 30 metres of fallopian tubing.

We once had a particularly tightly wound expiditer screaming at a supplier over the phone asking about the order of fallopian tube that was 3 weeks late. Finally, the supplier said "Listen to what you're saying". To which the expiditer replied "Those {explative deleted}!!" I still laugh at that one.

Keith

We called it the **automatic** wire strecher

Way back I worked in a cable mill that manufactured coax of all sizes. My first assignment,like every new guy was basically a gofer. Roll reels of cable around, prep the ends for test equipment leads, etc. One day one of the testers says to me, "This reel is 10 feet too short, go tell the foreman you need the basement keys to go down cellar and get the cable stretcher." Of course there was no such tool, and this building was on a slab to boot. The foreman just shook his head and told me to get back to work.

This thing is so cool it is automatic.!!

best one I ever saw

I went on for hours.... At this point my crew got got to mad to laugh at the time.. We were in the middle of 15hr days and a power plant shutdown. The Apprentice that had the task to go and get the >>> well he was Spanish and the way he asked us where it was.... well it was difficult to understand .. then we all got it..
the bender!! the no not the pipe bender the.... it bends ( it bends what...) ok now we get it.. as he points up to the light fixture...

the bulb!! this one straight.... i need to make it like this ...U...
ya for 2 to 3 hours around a 4 mile plant 5-6 different crews he asked.. and he was suposed to be helping us an hour ago..

They sent him looking for the BULB BENDER
we all felt so mad and sorry for him we explained that glass can break if you try to bend it (without heat)
so we told him to stay here and work with us for the rest of the day.>> We needed an extra hand and he was a working bull,.

So at the end of the day we were getting ready to leave but before we did there would be another laugh...
The Apprentice that was looking for the bulb bender was also cleaver... The foreman that had sent him on the chase had a tool bag that he always left in the same place every day.. One of the ones that has a 3 foot strap that you can hold on your shoulder.. Well it was large and very heavy.. so as we were all about to leave the bulb bender says watch this.....

The foreman goes to lift his heavy tool bag up and is very suddenly stopped mid way thru standing.....

Ya he pulled his shoulder out of place..

The tool bag was RAMSET t o the floor!!!!!!

Then it got better. well

"Tool bag" thought that it would be the right thing to do challenging " bulb bender to a fist fight..
not a good I dear..

"Bulb Bender" had light weight golden gloves.

I think they both learned something that day