Timer sequences

i think this is a typical shift problem

i would generate a clock pulse and this pulse would shift a bit
the shifted bits corresponds to the output

Amr Hassan said:
i think this is a typical shift problem

i would generate a clock pulse and this pulse would shift a bit
the shifted bits corresponds to the output

I agree. One timer with a five minute preset, and bit shift. Simple enogh, and will work with most PLC's. Even Selectron had bit shift capabilities.

Terry Woods said:
To say that you can not solve the problem without knowing the specific PLC is ridiculous!

Alaric, maybe you should've said "Without more information about your PLC we can't implement a proper solution"

I knew what you meant.

Last edited:
Aren't we trying to promote the idea of LOGIC???

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to promote TI-Logic!

I'm certainly NOT trying to promote AB-Logic!

I'm simply trying to promote LOGIC!!!

It just so happens that TI took the same approach to Logic that I have taken. That was after I left AB-Logic, went through GE-Logic, and several others, until I finally came to, and embraced TI-Logic!

TI-Logic, that is, the programming philosophy that TI uses, happens to be more in-line with human-think. AB-Logic, despite Control-Logix-5000, is still far away from "human-think".

It is what it is!

Rube said... (talking to Alaric...)
"...maybe you should've said 'Without more information about your PLC we can't implement a proper solution' "

To which I say...

Logic is Logic! If you want to employ those special-tools that are available for your particular PLC... fine! Do so!

However, problems are common to all processes, regardless of the particular PLC. Solutions are also common, in normal, everyday, non-brand-specific logic.

I object to the idea of a solution being presented ONLY in terms of AB, or Honeywell, or AD, or...?

There are many folks on-site for solutions... some of those folks are quiet, in the background, not saying a word... and yet, they are looking for answers... I have to wonder, how many of those folks have found an answer in a non-brand-specific solution?

The name of the game is... LOGIC!

LOGIC applies to ANY PLC!

If LOGIC doesn't apply to a particular PLC, then that PLC should be blown off the market! Duuuhhh???

I think maybe you're a little deep in the forest, Terry

I say that because, in spite of your points all being valid, I know, I KNOW that you realize Alaric was asking for the brand so the OP could get brand-specific help. He had already given the OP a LOGICal answer.
icon11.gif

Thanks Rube.

The original poster said "Any help would be most appreciated."

Unfortunately, in this thread, over an attempt to offer more help to the original poster another poster's pet peeve came into play. Ironically, the kind of help, ie a generic logic solution, that Terry was preaching was given by multiple posters and more information was requested in order to provide more specific help. Unfortunately because of our desire to give higher quality assistance, the thread degenerating into seeing who could pee the farthest. Would any reasonable person go into the auto parts store for a part and launch into a rant about how a car is a car and the guy behind the counter does not need to know the make, model, and engine size of the car to be able to help him?

I can only hope that the O.P. was not turned off by this and will come back around for the assistance he needed.