Timers again?

I'll drink to that. beerchug

This a little off topic but can anyone tell me how I can get more than 16 colors on my screen. My compaq monitor bit the dust and a friend loaned me a VIEW MATE. I have selected diffirent drivers and adapters but still have only 16 colors to select in the dropdown menu.
If no suggestions, just send money. 🔨

reinstall the video drivers and verify that the monitor is plug & pray and capable of more.

The monitor is dependent on the video adapter driver that is loaded, is the correct one being used? Can you reload the drivers? Is the monitor SVGA ...even VGA should work with minimum of 256 colors but again your choice of colors is dependent on having the correct driver installed. If using Win9x then goto Display in Control Panel, once there you goto Settings then Advanced. There it will either list the existing adapter OR offer an adapter tab to click on to view the adapter that is installed. Verify an adapter is installed and for some reason windows isnt using the generic VGA driver.

Roger,

It is good to see someone stand up to this person. By reading his post's, you would think he wrote all the code in the world and it is all perfect.

I am sitting here watching machines run and I checked the control cabinets, I COULD NOT FIND HIS DAMN NAME ANYWHERE!

Good job

I can see both points. In the start of my plc expedition, I have at least once thought, "IF IT WORKS,THEN ITS RIGHT." If some code was written and it gets you from point A-----to point------B and its "working" then it must be right.
Or is it?
There is a lot of code that is written that "works", but is not "right".
"Right" def.-Proper and fitting, properly adjusted, disposed or placed; orderly

I don't know about y'all, but I've run across many a code that was working, but didn't fit this definition.
Roger I don't think you were telling c.s. to program by the seat of his pants. I believe you were only implying c.s. to do a little "trial and error", but sometimes we must be careful on what we teach these future programmers.
c.s., if you’re at a stand still, banghead it might not be a bad idea to do a little trial and error. If you do get it to work make sure you understand how it works.

Good luck!

Tim & The Real Deal

Thanks for the support, Real Deal. :nodi:

You are right, Tim, I would never suggest that someone program by the seat of their pants if the program was going to be used in a real application where someone could get hurt or damage equipment. But if you got a PLC, programming terminal and a test stand with lights and switches, GO FOR IT, see what you can do. If an experienced programmer is available to review what you have done get him to look at it and give pointers. When it comes to PLCs everyone wants to be a programmer but the truth is only a few have ability to program. You can't make a programmer out of everyone, just like you can't make an electrician out of just anyone, you gotta have the knack.

Thanks again
Roger

Oooohhh, Roger,

You just ain't got the whole PLC/LOGIC thing in your heart... you are a switch handler. And if your code works, you're lucky... for now.

If "Good Enough" is good enough for you, then you will undoubtedly reap what you sow!

"The real deal" said...

By reading his post's, you would think he wrote all the code in the world and it is all perfect.

Gee, you aren't referring to me are you?

Say, "real deal", have I ever told you my philosophy of life?

Just in case I haven't, NOBODY knows I'm an A$$HOLE more than I know I'm an a$$hole! My philosophy is that we are ALL a$$holes... yes, even you!

And the whole point of life is to be less of an a$$hole today than you were yesterday. That means, you have to have a higher level of perfection in mind - a level you are striving for.

If you don't have that higher level as a target, then you are a pompous a$$hole. You are smug and satisfied with yourself as you are... you deem yourself to be perfection! That's the biggest a$$hole of all!

The pursuit of Logic is in keeping with that idea of striving for perfection. If you accept lesser logic, then you are not being less of an a$$hole today than you were yesterday.

BTW, I don't see your name anywhere either.

There you go again, telling people how to live, work etc....

For someone that throws out the insults like you do, do you not realize that every word you write proves your insecurities?

For someone with as many posts as you, you can't be that busy...

The people that write code correctly have plenty of work, like me.

Its well known I am not a programmer per se, I dabble when needed. Thats why I am here, to find code that I can make copies of and may use later.

Thru time I have found there is a niche of very good programmers/teachers on this site. In alot of cases they will get on tangents that the average person/programmer will have difficulty following.

Some of that knowledgeable niche that I can name is Terry Woods, Allen Nelson, host of other Nelsons especially Eric, Peter Nachtwey and Steve Bailey being some of the more prominent. There are others that I either cant think of whole name or correct spelling but those named will suffice.

These people spend an inexorable time explaining what can work, what should work, and how it should be done. There are enough of them that when one makes a mistake another usually manages to make a correction that is appropriate. Each of these programmers have their special plc's they are adept at but in alot of cases have dealt with many brands so can offer specific device on numerous brands. Regardless of all that they are still people and will say what they think at times, thats nothing but human nature.

Overall I prefer code to be in ladder so maintenance people may understand it but in alot of cases it is rare that they can comprehend, please dont lose the pretty lights. I agree that what works is not good enough, experienced programmers create code that work but looks terrible when viewed. The objective when teaching someone ...ie imparting your knowledge should be for them to exceed what you know. The next generation should never accept "if it works then its right", I would ask that you dont use that approach with students because it offers a development of bad habits. The idea I believe this site has tried to develop is assist them to meet their goal but push them a little to go beyond that.

Roger I know you have made effort to make contributions as many here do. We all appreciate that but at the same time please do not take offense at any form of criticism, words are used to make a point not to call you a name or imply anything.

As for "realdeal", I havent seen you provide anything to anyone at anytime, anywhere, anyway. That enough any's? The number of posts doesnt imply much (except in Terry Woods case), he has done alot to provide "good" information that may benefit many. Items of information that only years of doing can provide. When you have made your contributions then speak up, until then "who cares what you say".

Live and learn, this site offers more that plc help.
btw we all have work, its not hard to obtain if willing to..

I can't resist!...

The real deal said:
The people that write code correctly have plenty of work, like me.

Mr. "Deal", your location flag says Antarctica... I would think that any person still alive in Antarctica has plenty of work, no?

beerchug

-Eric

And Kudos to Ron for taking the time to defend Terry!... ;)