Timers again?

I know I'm going to regret this....

This is an actual conversation I had once:

BOSS (entering my cubical while I'm working): So, how soon before you're done?
ME: Define "done".
BOSS: Can we bill the customer for the work completed so far?
ME: Yes...
BOSS: Then you're done. Here's your next assignment.

Terry:
Roger's point (although he hasn't quite said it this plainly) is that for a student, good enough IS good enough. It has to be. They've got a limited amount of time to learn about EVERYTHING, so they can figure out what interests them (beside *** and beer, I mean). And you and I both know that their instructor doesn't care if the program is any good or not - that's not what he's looking for. He want's to see that the student grasped enough of the FUNDEMENTALS to make something that works well enough. He knows that most of his students (and I'm guessing even the HNC ones over there) won't touch a PLC again in their lives.

Now we could all get into a fun debate about whether this is the way the world should work, and the state of modern education, but let's not, at least today.

Roger:
If you find Terry to be arrogant and out of control, I suggest you look in the mirror. He did not start of by insulting you, but you were quick to take offense, and deliver back.

Terry took you to task for a logical fallacy, and rubbed you nose in it. Some of it comes from how he works with PLCs. He's a plant engineer (for want of a better title). His job is to live with the PLC he programs every day. For him, everything has to be perfect, or as close as he can make it. Me, I'm an integrator. Every few months, I send my children off into the world, hopefully never to hear from them again. As some point, yes, like the story above, I have to stop before I'm fully satisfied, and move on. I don't know your background. Perhaps you've had to compremise on your quality so many times that you think that's the way it is. Not so.

You said that you could improve on Terry's code. I strongly doubt that. Terry is THE best PLC programmer I've ever run across. I can usually code as well or better than any other engineer. But any time where both he and I offered code, Terry's offering has been vastly superior to mine. Yeah, mine will/does work (and yes, I know that is your point), but Terry's is the way it should be done (i.e, the way I will do it in the future). I haven't seen too many solutions offered by you yet (you're still new, although have over 50 posts already), but I haven't been all that impressed with what you've had to say so far.

I'm sure Terry understood everything you were saying or trying to say (even before I repeated it back above). Did you listen to him, and the point he was making? Judging from your posts, I don't think so.

Try easing up on the POST REPLY button, and just listen for a bit. You might learn something.

Real Deal:
Your 'voice' reminds me of a fellow that used to show up on the old forum, and post things just to watch us get all riled up. A Mr. M**sh, was it, the "so-called friend of the site"? If that's your game, please stop.

Ronald Scott:
I hope you are enjoying watching all this happen to someone else for a change. You've certainly come a long way (or is it us who've changed?)

To all:
One thing I've learned over the years is, when in arguements, if you find yourself repeating yourself more than twice, the other guy is not listening. Repeating yourself a third time won't make him listen. So it's best just to walk away. Anything else is a waste of time.

C.S. Barnett seens to have solved HIS problem. Can we just drop all this now, before Phil has to do something that everyone will regret?

DAMN! There goes another hat!

Thanks to all that bestowed all of those undeserved compliments on me.

To those on the other side of the aisle...

My pursuit here at PLCTALK, in addition to answering those questions that I choose (or even can, for that matter), is to further the cause of more-perfect coding. I try to do that by trying to get "PLC Programmers", at any level of expertise, to recognize that a PLC is a COMPUTER. And that if you constrain yourself to look at that computer from only a PLC point of view, then you are depriving yourself of the full capabilities that are available. There are things available, in virtually all PLC's, that do not show up in the manual! ("Masking" comes to mind.) And, of course, there ain't a PLC Manual out there that teaches the "Philosophy of System Design".

I sure the hell don't even suggest (much less, claim) that my code is perfect. But, I do know that more-perfect coding can only be obtained by...

- understanding and taking advantage of the rules of logic - that is, after all, the basis for the whole PLC Concept...

- understanding and taking advantage of the capabilities of the logic device (published or not)

- having a "Sense of System". A "System" includes the Process, the Operator, Maintenance and the Programmer - IN THAT ORDER. The programmer should take whatever steps are necessary to make it simple for the Operator!

- knowing how to integrate the logic device and the system together so that the whole is greater than the sum of the pieces. Even if that means developing complicated code! Don't forget who the customer is!

If you were to do a search on my name through all of the earlier stuff, I think you would find that most of my contributions have been directed at advancing that cause.

I don't hang here just to take pot-shots (while some certainly do). If I have sniped at anyone (I have), I offer no apologies. Please re-read my "sniping" in terms of the context of the thread. My KEEPERS do a pretty good job of keeping me from lashing out unreasonably. Even the "CAMEL-MAN" (some of you long-time regulars might remember him) deserved what he got, from myself and several others.

So, Please understand this...
I am NOT against anyone here... I am FOR the "Cause" I've just described. If your attitude is AGAINST that "Cause" (I didn't say "If you aren't with me, then you're against me") then, I guess we remain on separate sides of the aisle. However, that doesn't mean we can't yell back-and-forth once in a while.

A body at rest tends to stay at rest, unless there is some force trying to upset that rest. Without "Stress", things do not develop - Ergo, the Need for Boat-Rockers.

No... it's not a Boat-Rocker named "Ergo, the Need".

Reply to Allen

Allen

Though windy, your point is take.

I never started posting to impress you or anyone else, I never started posting to belittle or put anyone down. If you will read my post you will see that most of my posts have been to argee with some fellow posters in their comments. The tid bits I have to offer may not impress you because you are probably beyound where I am in PLCs.
You can support Terry Woods all you want and come down on me all you want but the fact is I don't like to be comapred to an idiot, if you choose to overlook Terrys choice of words or choice of compareson then you can do so, I can still disagree.
I haven't had a lot of experience with other processors and HMI products except Allen-Bradley and most of my Allen-Bradley experience has been limited to the classic PLC-5 family although I have worked with some of the SLC family. Therefore I may never have a post that will impress the likes of you and Terry but I am going to continue to post on the things that I do know. If you think Terry rubbed my nose in anything you are wrong, all he did was support my dislike for those who think they are Gods and have the right to insult and ridicule. I would never think of insulting someone because they couldn't make correct change or because they worked at a fast food place but judging by your latest post you are no better of a human being than Terry. Your lack of compassion has left an impression on me.
I would like to put these type of issues to bed and get back to professional posting.(Keeping the name calling and insults down to a roar)

Good luck in life.
Roger

Terry & Allen

Terry & Allen

I agree, let the previous posts die.

In the interest of sticking to what this forum is about and to take advantage of your interest in educating or enlightening the visitors to this forum. Take a little time and list some of the thought process that takes place when you sit down to create a near perfect ladder logic program. Exactly what is it that you do that makes your programs superior? I know each of us, that do programming, try our best to get it as near perfect as we can but it sounds as though you two have the edge and I would like to cash in on your knowledge, if I can. This is a serious post, not intended to be sarcastic by any means, let’s have your layout technique.
Don’t just blow this off, give some specifics, all I have heard is how Terry is the best programmer going and Allen can program better than most engineers but I haven't seen any proof of these claims, you don’t need to give any SECRET code or anything.

Give something like a “fishbone” layout but use Allen-Bradley terms in configuration and such items. Give your general guidelines so I too can be a better programmer.

P.S. I would be interested in trying to improve on some of your ladder logic, just as a test of my knowledge, VIA e-mail.

Seriously;
Roger

Heh, okay, this was fun, but let's get back to business, eh?

My personal philosophy with respect to programming is : I know nothing. (You'd be amazed at how many people readily agree with that!)

Basically, after 10 years in automation support, maintenance and electronics, I've become astonished at just how little I know. I've never used STL or structured text. The AB message block is an enigma to me. I'm still getting my mind adjusted to using graphics in a graphical touchscreen instead of page after page of idiot lights.

I like to think I've made some progress, and the code I
ve put up here (with resulting positive feedback) reassures me to some degree. I honestly believe that what I know will serve in 80-90% of the situations I come across. When I have something I can't overcome, I seek out the information to do it, and try to master it so I won't be caught off-guard again.

This forum, and the luminaries here, are my lifeline. Steve, Terry, the Nelsons, have all saved my rump on a number of occasions. Whether it's steering me towards an information source or providing desparately-needed reassurance, they've always come through for me, and I am in their debt.

And that's my two bits.

Thanks to everyone!

TM

Terry

I have read all the past posts in your last post. Not from day one have I questioned your knowledge, abilities or willingness to dedicate your time in lengthy examples or explanations. Instead, I applaud you for all those things. As for the suggestions and hints for better programming in your past threads, that I viewed, I have always considered those as being common knowledge and common considerations a programmer should take into account, nothing special or unique. I’m sure there must more to your approach and planning. Share some of those with me.
What would your data table files and program files look like for a typical process that used discrete I/O, BTW/BTR, MSG, faults/alarms, diagnostic files, ETC… And if you consider ladder instructions in any particular order, you know top to bottom, left to right scan.
How would you have an operator control an operation that is more than a mile away from his location without violating A-B “no control over DH+ or Ethernet” (this rule is most often misinterpreted).

My only sticking point with you is that you come across as God like and act as though some people are stupid or less worthy when compared to you. The ones that support you in this thinking are cut from the same stock.
I think you would get the surprise of your life if you had to walk a mile in some of those STUPID fast food workers shoes. Don’t give me the **** about having it rough when growing up. I am talking about the real street life, I guarantee you you have never lived it and if you ever did you would develop a true respect for those STUPID people. PLCs, engineers, HMIs, trig, calc, algebra is not part of that world, it will humble you.
All in all if I had a PLC problem I think you could pull my fat out of the fire.

Phil, if I get outa line say so.

Have a good day
Roger

Last edited:
Roger
I dont happen to have any links to my discussions along this line with certain members of this forum.

In the end what it boils down to is noone is better at anything than anyone, some just have more experience in certain areas...ie more time spent (along with a certain amount of knowledge, training and ability that may exceed the average person) programming different forms of CPU's.

What you are doing now is attempting to discredit another or justify your abilities as equal to another. You can not discredit either of those mentioned earlier, they have displayed abilities, YOU have not.

Trust me, this is not a path that you want to go down on this site. We are all here to learn/teach all we can. We are people that make statements, some will not be liked. Let the animosity go and move on to the next subject, everything you asked for has been stated before in detail.

You can get on that righteous path of I AM RIGHT and they are wrong all you want, doesnt make it so. You can make derogatory remarks all you want to those that in your mind are defending others. In reality we are defending this site, the people you are attempting to harangue or discredit have been some of the major help on this site. When it comes to detail/in depth questions they are the one that can/have offered the most advice.

NOW

What is needed is MORE people that can do what they have done already. Hopefully they will be here along time BUT normally that doesnt happen with the net, people move on. Look, listen, learn and when possible offer assistance. We all have to learn to NOT let our egos rule us.

Think about it...should you take offense at a statement you thought was demeaning to you (but may not have been directed directly at you) or should you say HEY I dont like that statement THEN show people what you can do? You got upset and its bugging you, many of us have been there. Technically I have been farther than you can go but decided that Hey I will show them what I can do. I dont know if I have because I stopped worrying about it much, I just do what I can when I can.

Please let it go.
This site and many others are just like being married...you should never goto bed angry at the people and vice versa.

Qurstion

I have not used this sight much prior to this question that I had on timers, and may not use it again. At this time my education has taken a turn in another direction, but I have one question for all of you. Do you always get into such debates such as this? I asked one question and I thank all of you for the help, but I read many more post of everyone butting heads back and forth. Do you do this for fun, or to blow off steam? Lets all just have a beer. beerchug

Re: Qurstion

c.s.barnett said:
I have not used this sight much prior to this question that I had on timers, and may not use it again. At this time my education has taken a turn in another direction, but I have one question for all of you. Do you always get into such debates such as this? I asked one question and I thank all of you for the help, but I read many more post of everyone butting heads back and forth. Do you do this for fun, or to blow off steam? Lets all just have a beer. beerchug

Gee, thanks c.s.barnett for proving my previous 'site personality rant' to be true. See folks, it wasn't just my imagination. :D

So how about we put this thread to rest... unless you have something to note about the original question which was... :unsure:

Let's all be plc friends again :nodi:

Enjoy,

This Butts for you, CJ

No, we put on this show just for you. Did you like it? We're thinking of opening on Broadway (in Milwaukee, home of the PLC, that is).

What happened (and if I'm any judge, will continue to happen, just on another person's thread) is what happens when people with strong opinions, and loads of self-confidence, exchange ideas before they really know each other.

Once they know each other, they'll be able to say "Oh, that's so-and-so - he's always like that" and be able to get past the attitude and listen to what's being said, not how it's being said.

It happens sometimes with newcomers who are used to being "Alpha Geek", and expect to be such wherever they go (I'm talking about myself here - in case anyone thinks otherwise). But the pack only allows for one Alpha Geek, and there the usual head-butting while the revised pecking order is establshed.

And it doesn't help when it's played out on the internet, where 1) you type faster than you think; 2) the words are there for anyone to read and re-read and re-re-read - no allowances for "I surely must have heard him wrong", and 3) vocal inflection is lost. Things get said that you regret saying, or at least using that choice of words, or just don't/can't hear it the way the other guy does (again, I'm thinking of my posts on the old forum here).

It's all quite human, really.

I'm not surprised about your educational path. Few choose PLCs. But even fewer choose where they eventually wind up - fate is funny that way. But if you ever need any more info on PLCs, you know to find us. We'll still be here (Phil willing).

Roger:

Though windy, your point is take.

WINDY??? ME?!?

I'll have you know I only once hit Phil's 10K limit on post length. Windy? Sheesh! ;)

The "I can program better than most engineers" is pure ego on my part (coupled with a strong self-critism, believe it or not). There is no "PLC Olypics" where independent judges look at our programs. Sometimes I wish there was....

What!?! Why did that @#*& East German judge give me a 5.2? Because I didn't program it on a Siemens?!?
;)

Give something like a “fishbone” layout but use Allen-Bradley terms in configuration and such items. Give your general guidelines so I too can be a better programmer.

I wish I could show you my "fishbone". That's EXACTLY what I've got - a skeleton AB program that's suitable for almost every application. Unfortuanely, I cannot. Because it is flexible and relatively easy to set up, and along with a database which autogenerates 95% of the annotation and a good chunk of the code (and ties into the documenation), it gives me and my company a competative edge. Using it, I can produce more code faster, and with fewer bugs than someone else, allowing us to charge less (or make more). I've actually beaten the "Faster, Better, Cheaper - Pick any two" game. But I can't/won't share it (at least not until I'm retired) ;) .

It's also just too big. It's not just a PLC program, but a programming method (summed up by "a place for everything, and everything in its place (even if it doesn't exist yet)"), and supporting documentation, a database, a fishbone document. They all tie together (they're also not all 100% done - they may never be as its an evolutionary thing).

But for a hint, see this current thread

But much of the rest is just comparing how I would solve a particular problem to how someome else solves it, primarily in code, but also in technique. Sometimes the results are "equal, just different". Sometimes there is a real (subjective) quality difference. But it IS subjective. What I like about a chunk of code, others might not. What I produce that I think is better, others might not.

But I'm always on the lookout for good code. That's what keeps me coming back.

That, and the cat fights. ;)

Ronald "Peacemaker" Doran is right - let's drop it. (He went through something similar on the old forum - it seemed like he was getting into an arguement with everybody, and over things not related to PLCs, like whether someone meant such-and-such when they posted earlier, and "I'm right and the rest of you are wrong" kind of stuff.

That's my 0.02 euros (not even 2¢) worth. ;)

Last edited: