to run motor of 50 Hz to 60 Hz

rehman

I have submersible motor designed for 415 Volts and 50 Hz, Now if i have run this motor at 460 Volts an 60 Hz what will be the effect on motor and it diff parameter like current, Power consumption, Speed, temprature rise of motor etc. Whether it is safe and feasible to run the motor in that condition.

The motor will run approxiamately 20% faster (60Hz/50Hz). The power and amp draw will probably be more than 20% if the motor was design for optimum 50 Hz performance. The speed will probably be less than 20% for similar reasons. Since it's a submersible pump, the liquid surrounding it will probably provide enough heat transfer medium unless it's already close to the maximum motor temperature.

The other item needing to be considered is what will be the pumping rate change? The type of pump was not specified but if it's a positive displacement pump it should be about a 20% flow increase. If it's a centrifugal, it all depends what the relationship between the pump's involute and housing. My guess it will probably be lower than 20%.

If its a centrifugal pump then the flow will increase 20%.
The pressure will increase 44% or the square of the speed increase.
The power required on the motor shaft will increase 73%, or the cube of the speed increase.

Your motor will not last long at all. You will need a much bigger one. Unless you choke off the flow considerably, which will require less power draw from the motor.

What brand and model pump do you have?

Last edited:
Actually, in most cases a 50hz motor will run quite well on 60Hz but you have to watch out for overloading at the higher speeds.

In the case of a centrifugal pump, as Gerry M points out correctly, the extra 20% speed in the pump causes a much larger increase in load which will surely doom the motor.

A simple solution...I think...would be to use a VFD with V/Hz and limit it to 50HZ which should also limit it to roughly 415 volts, of course both options may be available to set. This way you dont have to worry as much about premature motor failure.

Ron's idea is good.

But depeding on the size and duty cycle, a new motor or pump may be more cost effective.

Or perhaps someway to reduce the voltage.

Maybe even cobble up a couple of od motors and make a rotary-phase-inverter set up. Wait, only if you have time on your hands, nevermind!

If the duty cycle is low, I'd run it until it quits, then replace motor or unit with proper one.

regards.....casey

Last edited: